Apple Releases Mountain Lion

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Apple Releases Mountain Lion

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You guys need to visit more respectable sites... LOL!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You guys need to visit more respectable sites... LOL!
I actually have had a spam disaster, or something like it, in an incredibly unlikely way. I have an email address with my provider but I never use it for anything, ever. I have all of my email forwarded to it. This has worked great for years, but someone else with a very similar address started mistyping or something and started using mine.

I occasionally got strange emails that obviously weren’t for me, but weren’t spam. Then I started getting bank notifications, and various other things (that I thought at first were spam) and then private correspondence. I wrote back to one of those and told them to contact their friends and let them know they were using the wrong address. Now I’m deluged with spam to that address. Ugh, no going back now.

They seem to be an older couple and I’ve received lame jokes they forwarded, replies from their friends, restaurant reservation confirmations, loan reminders, all kinds of stuff. I feel like I know them now.

bb
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Hi Bongo,
I know it's not from Apple, my point is Apple is getting so successful , trying to converge everything Apple, dumbing down the OS to be more like iOS , pushing users toward icloud etc...
I suspect we're going to see more of this as well as hackers starting to look at ways to get at Apple users, imo they see a large lax untapped resource that generally thinks if they have a Mac,they're safe.

I clicked on the link & as soon as I saw the address bar was not Apple, I closed the browser. My service provider(fios)also said my router has a physical hardware based firewall built in, so I think I'm safe.

I do think as Apple gets more popular we are going to see all sorts of things we used to think only affected Windows users.
Last edited by kgdrum on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

bongo_x wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You guys need to visit more respectable sites... LOL!
I actually have had a spam disaster, or something like it, in an incredibly unlikely way. I have an email address with my provider but I never use it for anything, ever. I have all of my email forwarded to it. This has worked great for years, but someone else with a very similar address started mistyping or something and started using mine.

I occasionally got strange emails that obviously weren’t for me, but weren’t spam. Then I started getting bank notifications, and various other things (that I thought at first were spam) and then private correspondence. I wrote back to one of those and told them to contact their friends and let them know they were using the wrong address. Now I’m deluged with spam to that address. Ugh, no going back now.

They seem to be an older couple and I’ve received lame jokes they forwarded, replies from their friends, restaurant reservation confirmations, loan reminders, all kinds of stuff. I feel like I know them now.

bb
MLC are you playing with Bongo? lol
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

kgdrum wrote:
MLC are you playing with Bongo? lol
Have not touched my bongos in a couple of days. Really! They are on the shelf behind my piano.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zed

Post by zed »

I'm annoyed by this news. I think it is ridiculous.

I can't imagine *any* scenerio where it is already time to change the name of the cat. I'm still in Snow Leopard and was planning to stay here for a while.

W-T-F?

Perhaps they are trying to rifle through all the big cats more quickly because they have another big change up ahead where the OS won't be named after cats at all? That is my best guess.

For all the things I like about Apple, I find them rubbing me the wrong way on a regular basis. Dumbing down the OS has been a point of frustration for a long time now. I gather they are dumbing it down even more now.

I think we've helped to create a monster.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Talking about the dumbing down of Apple, I contacted them just to be safe about that spam phishing email I received .They actually answered with a generic computer generated email , the "reps hours" hasn't occured since I contact Apple.They said the I should cancel my cc & the transaction and that only my card issuer can stop the transaction via chargeback.
Well last night I contacted my cc company and they said no such transaction occurred it's all bogus and not to worry about it.
Apple has gotten so successful that it's like trying to deal with General Motors.The simplicity of Apples paradigm is moving towards is a general corporate state run by morons. I would never of guessed Apple of all companies would become the kind of faceless corporate empire,I despise.
I guess that's why they discontinued those commercials from a couple of years ago with the Apple guy vs the Windows guy, it seems like Apple decided to go with the Windoze paradigm, how strange.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

KG, that's a big reason why I'm so happy DP is going cross-platform. I still plan on staying with Apple for the forseeable future, but having an option is reassuring, especially given the seeming re-focusing of priorities at Apple.

Hey MOTU, how 'bout a Linux version of DP?
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

kgdrum wrote: I would never of guessed Apple of all companies would become the kind of faceless corporate empire,I despise.
I ran into that when I bought my first Powerbook. Apple intentionally crippled the already mediocre 667mhz G4 in it so it wouldn't perform as well as the 800mhz desktop tower they had out at the time. The result was that benchmark tests were proving that the 667 machine was about 75% as powerful as the previous years 500mhz Powerbook. So I wasted roughly $1,000 on the new machine when the older one would have performed better.

Apple have been a huge corporation for quite some time. Huge corporations are not your friend, unless you're a stockholder, that's about the size of it. They have only one final boss to answer to and that's the bottom line! Now drink your kool aid and forget about what I said. :koolaid:

FYI Microsoft aren't any better, so there you go. IMO it would have been interesting to see MOTU go the way of Bitwig who announced their DAW on all three platforms, so Linux becomes an option out the door! Hopefully providing their end users with insurance if things go south for Micro$haft and crApple.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:KG, that's a big reason why I'm so happy DP is going cross-platform. I still plan on staying with Apple for the forseeable future, but having an option is reassuring, especially given the seeming re-focusing of priorities at Apple.
Well said.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

It's pretty weird though,who would have thought even a year ago that we would be contemplating moving to Windoze as a fallback option because of Apples move towards the Twilight Zone?
MIDI Life Crisis

Got me by surprise. I'm not so worried as I have a great system (fairly new to me) and as long as a vendor doesn't insist on Lion, I'm lion low.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I agree but to think about this:
By August many of us SL users who made the jump to Intel based Macs to stay somewhat current will be behind by 2 O.S. versions?
So many of us are parked in 10.68
Soon SL will be the new PPC!
(not really)
I don't know if I have ever seen so many users resisting O.S. upgrades.
Maybe the move from OS9 ---> OSX was similar , I really don't remember.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

kgdrum wrote:I agree but to think about this:
By August many of us SL users who made the jump to Intel based Macs to stay somewhat current will be behind by 2 O.S. versions?
So many of us are parked in 10.68
Soon SL will be the new PPC!
(not really)
I don't know if I have ever seen so many users resisting O.S. upgrades.
Maybe the move from OS9 ---> OSX was similar , I really don't remember.
I just learned at some point not to be an early adopter, the hard way more than once of course!
Started with Leopard having some issues, stabilizing, then waiting for all SL reports to come back positive. Do the same thing with DAWs as well, stayed on DP5 until 7 because of that, didn't upgrade Live until well over a year after Live 8 came out for the same reason.

Some of that is having enough "toys" at this point to where new features don't interest me if it's in any way going to screw up my workflow or the stability of my system.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I agree Michael but I don't think we've seen this kind of mass resistance to upgrading an OS for a long time, if ever.