Neat trick for opening and comparing 2 sequences (old tip?)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Neat trick for opening and comparing 2 sequences (old tip?)

Post by mhschmieder »

My apologies if this has been documented previously in a tips section or a discussion, but surely I'm not the only person who didn't know about this DP feature (whether it is new or old):

If you have a sequence selected in a project in Tracks View, and go to the Chunks window, double-clicking on a different chunk will bring up that sequence in Tracks View in a new panel atop the other sequence/chunk.

That is as far as it goes; clicking in either panel on another tab effectively brings you back to single sequence/chunk mode, with multiple views on the same sequence/chunk.

But no matter; being able to load two chunks atop each other in Tracks View is EXTREMELY useful for comparing and copying track layouts and/or even copying cues, MIDI, etc. between chunks with everything neatly lined up visually.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Armageddon

Re: Neat trick for opening and comparing 2 sequences (old ti

Post by Armageddon »

This is actually a small thing, but it's something that always frustrated me about DP. Every other DAW or sequencer I've ever used (and why I'm used to working this way), you've always been able to open multiple sequences simultaneously. Obviously, in DP, you arbitrarily close out a sequence when opening a new one. Why would you even need to do that, you ask? Well, in my case, it's usually because I need to copy a MIDI track, sometimes, even multiple MIDI tracks from one sequence (or DP project, if you will) to another. You can kind of do that by opening the original project, copying the track, closing it out, opening the destination project, create a new MIDI track and pasting the contents of the original MIDI track you copied into it, but it would definitely be easier to just have both sequences open simultaneously. Never even thought about the Chunks scenario. Just goes to show you, everything you want to do in DP is probably there, it's just not always obvious.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

And you probably know that if you want to toggle between sequences without having to load them you can just select the other sequence from the window top left of the TO window and the other windows. Almost the same thing when wanting to compare or copy MIDI data, etc.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Just be sure to keep track of which Chunk you have play-enabled! That one has gotten me a couple of times.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You can also load chunks (with or without audio) from other projects into the current project using the LOAD... command from the file menu.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, but that's entirely unrelated. I use the Load feature all the time when combining standalone legacy sequences into multi-sequence projects, or when moving a sequence to another project after it gets repurposed (for instance, a "personal" composition that gets requisitioned for a soundtrack or a jingle or website audio).

Good tips all, though. Sometimes it's the little things that save us the most time in the studio.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH