DP 8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
glenesis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 8

Post by glenesis »

dogBoy wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The Master EQ is a very very Powerful Tool, ProVerb is great, Leveler is pretty great...The Delay also, just giving props.
I second that, all of that. Props on the meat-and-potatos plugs. Also, the Plate, Chorus & Phaser, and the awesome Sonic Modulator (drool), and Nanosampler (possibly my favorite toy ever), and Proton, and the polysynth... blah blah blah... Heavy kudos and great thanks, again, for the delay, which is just so tasty and sensible and awesome and useful!

http://www.131records.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
glenesis a.k.a. Glenn Moses
http://www.freeware.rocks my music freeware blog
http://m.YouTube.com/glenesis my video channel
https://archive.org/details/@glenesis my experiments
https://glenesis.bandcamp.com my music
Conquering Your World (in the nicest possible way) :arrrr:
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hey Glenn, and welcome to the posting 2% of the forum members. ☺ Yes, developers do hang out here but I suspect most remain anonymous. There are a few folks posting who clearly know a heck of a lot about the internals, yet their signatures certainly don't let on that they are insiders. I suspect there are more than a couple of beta testers lurking as well, but they are prohibited from disclosing that fact. I am not prohibited from saying I fall into neither category.

And I do agree, DP 6 was a disaster from a GUI standpoint for me as well. DP 7 got off to a good start and with 7.24 has been great, but DP 8 looks amazing. Also, as you may have gathered here as well, MachFive got a total makeover in version 3 and is beyond words. The IRCAM stuff alone is worth the price of admission, IMO.

Keep posting! We like positive people. :dance:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

glenesis wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:
dogBoy wrote:I'm in the market right now for a linear phase EQ on the lines of MW EQ, and honestly if I could use MW EQ in DSP Quattro I wouldn't bother with a linear phase EQ at all and just use it.
You CAN use it in DSP Quattro. In case you missed it, MOTU finally put out 3 of our favorite plugs in AU/VST3/RTAS:

http://www.motu.com/products/software/mwc

I wish many more were available, especially Steinberg's built-in channel compressor from Cubase 5. I’ve always wanted to use that thing in DP.
Yeah I'm aware of that. Thing is if I'm going to spend money on a mastering EQ I might as well get a linear phase EQ. Honestly I do everything for as cheap as I can, waiting to seal the deal on PSP Neon from a guy off KVR.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dogBoy

Post by dogBoy »

glenesis wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:
dogBoy wrote:I'm in the market right now for a linear phase EQ on the lines of MW EQ, and honestly if I could use MW EQ in DSP Quattro I wouldn't bother with a linear phase EQ at all and just use it.
I didn't write this.....hmmm.
http://www.spoonwood.net
http://www.davidgennaro.com

2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo, 10.4.11, 3gigs ram, Ultralite 2 (good Box),Bunch of FireWire Drives, guitars guitars guitars, plugins plugins , mostly use Kontakt3
MIDI Life Crisis

If folks are careful how they edit stuff, it can attribute quotes to the wrong person. Kind of like hitting the wrong note in someone else's part....

:band:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zed

Post by zed »

FMiguelez wrote:I think DP is stable enough that they can now think about actually adding new cool features... but no more guitar plug-ins, PLEASE!
I just want to say that while I am really interested in features which enhance workflow, I was surprised to find that all of the "guitar" plug-ins that I saw in the Naam demo actually seemed like they would be useful tools for the kind of music I do. More guitar plug-ins is not a priority in my books, but I have to admit that there are several things in the new collection that I imagine using pretty much in every one of my tracks. I like that bass cabinet thing, for example, especially since I often DI my bass guitar. That shows some potential for getting a cooler sound from my bass tracks without introducing too much extra processing. I also love that new overdrive channel effect. That kind of distortion is often a flavour I want to add to a range of tracks (including electric pianos and drums) which is now a knobs turn away.

And welcome Glenn! It has been a long time since I gave much thought to the GUI reorganization that took place in DP6. I was a bit bothered at the time, but I am so used to it that I hardly ever think about it anymore. I was particularly annoyed with the whole "Bypass On" and "Bypass Off" buttons on the plugins. I really think that is messed up, but I haven't thought of that for at least a couple of years. I had to just go and check to see if it is still the same. And it is.

I have a whole list of DP suggestions, but at this point I think it's probably best to see what's up with the new version and then send a wishlist for all the things on our lists that have still not been implemented. Hopefully, MOTU will have dealt with the marker limitations and a few other things that have been pressed for.

I seriously hope that smart selections will finally work for looped content. Ever since I started using DP there has been a selection bug as relates to loops. Stuff like that I hope will finally be sorted out with the new code, and the fact that they will have had to reprogram those features from scratch.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

DP 8

I also saw great potential for the gitbox plugs for other uses. I thought it was MY secret. Dang!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Though I understand those who complain about “Guitar Plus Ins”, creatve use would say that any plug in can be used for ANYTHING.
Try those cabinet emulators on some MIDI drums for example, fatten a vocal with a phaser, or whatever. To me, all toys are more paint brushes in my audio toy box.

Now, a few more Fairchild emulations wouldn;t be bad either...;) :lol:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
uncle dunc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by uncle dunc »

It seems to me the DAW features race is getting more and more competitive these days. For example, in Studio One2, their bite gain interface is graphic: You highlight a peak, use the "separate audio" command to turn it into a separate sound bite, and then drag the peak with the mouse to resize it to match the adjacent audio. That's a really cool feature. (If you can do this in DP, someone let me know. The bite gain interface in DP7.24 seems really clunky to me. Some key commands would be helpful.)

Apparently, the Nuendo coders are behind SO2. Their V2 upgrade added a bunch of cool features, like Melodyne integration at no extra charge. While I'm a big fan of DP's graphic pitch correction, it seems DP users are the only people who even know about it. Now with SO2's Melodyne solution, (and their version of Beat Detective) DP falls behind the curve, after being ahead of the curve all these years.

I was happy to see the new dynamic EQ plugin scheduled for release in DP8. I was using the Nomad Factory Blue Tubes PEQ2C plugin for that, (selectable high-band boost, selectable low-band boost, selectable mid-band going through a compressor) but they discontinued it when they dropped PPC support. Dynamic EQ is a great way to clean up acoustic or electric guitar tracks by dialing the mid-band down to 200 (as low as it would go with the BT plug) and eliminating the mud when the lows hit the compressor. It sounds totally different than EQ'ing out the mud with an equalizer. An EQ plug thins out the guitar permanently, the dynamic EQ only thins out the guitar when it gets loud and starts to crowd out other mix elements. When I moved to an Intel Mac and lost that plugin, it rendered almost every mix I've done in the last five years unrecallable. The price of progress, eh? At least with DP8 I'll be able to recreate those mixes (more or less) if the need arises. (I tried using the MW multiband comp for that. No luck.)
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

uncle dunc wrote:It seems to me the DAW features race is getting more and more competitive these days. For example, in Studio One2, their bite gain interface is graphic: You highlight a peak, use the "separate audio" command to turn it into a separate sound bite, and then drag the peak with the mouse to resize it to match the adjacent audio. That's a really cool feature. (If you can do this in DP, someone let me know. The bite gain interface in DP7.24 seems really clunky to me. Some key commands would be helpful.)
Highlight the part of the soundbite you want to adjust,
Edit Menu - SPLIT
Select the newly created Soundbite.
If you have Event information enabled on the top of the window's ruler, you should have the Soundbite infos ( time stamp, duration, Yada-Yada )
In that info strip you should the Gain parameter.
While holding the Enter key, you use your scroll-wheel up or down and you should see the size of the Waveform adjusting in real-time.

Sounds long and complicated but it's really easy once you get used to it.

Obviously, must of this can be done via- key commands, which greatly speeds up the process...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

uncle dunc wrote:It seems to me the DAW features race is getting more and more competitive these days. For example, in Studio One2, their bite gain interface is graphic: You highlight a peak, use the "separate audio" command to turn it into a separate sound bite, and then drag the peak with the mouse to resize it to match the adjacent audio. That's a really cool feature. (If you can do this in DP, someone let me know. The bite gain interface in DP7.24 seems really clunky to me. Some key commands would be helpful.)
Ummm... I dunno, in DP I'd:

..highlight a peak, use the "split audio" command (⌘Y) to turn it into a separate sound bite, and then click the value in the status bar and drag with the mouse to resize it to match the adjacent audio.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ummm... exactly what Dwetmaster said better. This seems like a non issue to me.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, I do this all the time for punch-ins, where the person played or sang a little louder or softer than the original track. It's very fast and easy.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Well I learned something wonderful here, thanks Dwetmaster! And how cool is it that while the soundbite is playing you can hear the amount of adjustment you are playing with. So if I may go slight left (but certainly not off topic - is there a topic?)...

When we adjust this or even the height of the waveform preview, the size of the waveform can appear different in different windows depending on that zoom setting.

Is there a way to set the zoom so that it actually matches the actual relative amplitude of the sound file at some base level?

Dang, this program keeps getting better and better and even without updates... :)

ADDENDUM: Played with it and (duh!) realized at the lowest zoom you see the actual wave heights. I'll be ok... :vomit:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I learned something too. I always thought the Bite Gain in the Event Info was the same thing as the Bite Volume layer in the Sequence Editor.

MLC, are you saying that if you move the SE waveform zoom setting to its lowest level, that the scale shown for the waveform is not accurate? AFAIK, the other zoom settings don't change the relative scales.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8