Can I do this in BPM...

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

mx321
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Can I do this in BPM...

Post by mx321 »

Hello, I am thinking of buying BPM but as there's no demo version I would like to know if it's possible to work like this:

1> create lots of patterns/scenes

then

2> create a song by playing the patterns/scenes but also tweaking everything (filters and fx, mutes etc, pattern notes on/off) in real time and having the song record those on the fly changes as automation data that can be edited further if necessary.

I'd like to do all this in BPM itself if possible, not a DAW.

I use Abelton Live and FL Studio at the moment but rarely finish any songs in either as I find automating stuff (especially drawing in events with a mouse) a bit boring - I tend to just move onto to yet more half finished tune and loops:)

Basically, I want to play and jam live, recording my spontaneous twiddlings as the song plays but also I need to be able to edit these automations if I decide that, say, I added too much reverb at one point in the track.
hugy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Can I do this in BPM...

Post by hugy »

You can't record automation in bpm directly.

But if you assign MIDI CC to parameters you want to tweak, you can do it in a host.

Hope this helps.
Keys BeMe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can I do this in BPM...

Post by Keys BeMe »

mx321 wrote:Hello, I am thinking of buying BPM but as there's no demo version I would like to know if it's possible to work like this:

1> create lots of patterns/scenes

then

2> create a song by playing the patterns/scenes but also tweaking everything (filters and fx, mutes etc, pattern notes on/off) in real time and having the song record those on the fly changes as automation data that can be edited further if necessary.

I'd like to do all this in BPM itself if possible, not a DAW.

I use Abelton Live and FL Studio at the moment but rarely finish any songs in either as I find automating stuff (especially drawing in events with a mouse) a bit boring - I tend to just move onto to yet more half finished tune and loops:)

Basically, I want to play and jam live, recording my spontaneous twiddlings as the song plays but also I need to be able to edit these automations if I decide that, say, I added too much reverb at one point in the track.
Sounds like you already have the right software in Ableton Live. Its the hardware piece your missing. For $20.00 more than the cost of BPM, you can get the Akai APC 40 and do everything you mention and more. Or for $179.00 less you'll get equally great live performance control from the APC 20 controller. With either of these two perfectly matched hardware solutions, you'll be able to perform your live sets and edit your performances after the fact in software you're already familiar with. In your case, I'd only get BPM if your lookin for more urban/techno sonic textures in a format that works with most basic hardware controllers. The Akai units are not basic which is why they excel at what they do 8) .
TRIPLE THREAT PRODUCTIONS

"Don't make excuses, Make it happen"