MIchelle (2nd chord in the verse??)

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
scooter
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by scooter »

I've made a bet with someone years ago that the second chord in the Beatles "Michelle" in the verse was the dominant 7♯9 chord is sometimes known colloquially as the Hendrix chord or Purple Haze chord. They thought I was crazy. Which I am but.......

The chord under where Paul sings "ma belle." Is anyone hearing that 7 and #9 as the top 2 notes on the acoustic guitar?

scoots
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
bayswater

Re: MIchelle (2nd chord in the verse??)

Post by bayswater »

In the key I play it, the first chord is D and the second is Gm. Then C, Fdim, A, A#, A.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
scooter

Post by scooter »

Yeah, I think Paul might of (and who knows, they're just so friggin' hard to figure out sometimes! Magical buggers.) capo-ed 3rd fret and played it in D there. It sounds like it's actually in F.

( I feel like I did when the "Paul was dead" thing was going around. Playing their songs backwards, the license plate on the Abbey Road album and so on and so forth :) :) )

But check out the very last verse of Michelle. The one where they repeat the ma belle lyrics again. You can really hear the chord much more clearly there.

You'd think logically it would be a Bbm7 with that #9 (which is just repeating the Db an octave lower.) But I'm sticking with the full on Jimi chord.

scoots
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
zed

Post by zed »

scooter wrote:You'd think logically it would be a Bbm7 with that #9
To my ears that's exactly what I think it is, with the #9 being played with a bar using his pinky:

MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

One of the uses I've found for Melodyne DNA is figuring out those "mystery" chords in songs. Transfer a bit of the tune to Melodyne in polyphonic mode and click on individual blobs to listen to what instrument is playing them. Not always perfect, but it can be very helpful at times. It also allows you to click on a point in time and sustain it. So it's a listening aid as well (even if the DNA analysis isn't perfect you can still use your ears).

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
zed

Post by zed »

Phil O wrote:One of the uses I've found for Melodyne DNA is figuring out those "mystery" chords in songs. Transfer a bit of the tune to Melodyne in polyphonic mode and click on individual blobs to listen to what instrument is playing them. Not always perfect, but it can be very helpful at times. It also allows you to click on a point in time and sustain it. So it's a listening aid as well (even if the DNA analysis isn't perfect you can still use your ears).
I've heard that Roland has a new software product coming out that can analyze a song and divide it up by instrument and drum tracks, colour-coding each instrument and allowing you to mute or solo anything. Sounds like a really cool tool for doing a whole bunch of things.

I don't know if it can also divide the performances up by the notes played, like Melodyne DNA, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could.

There were a bunch of Beatles tracks recently put on YouTube where instruments were isolated. I am wondering if those came from someone beta testing this new Roland product.
bdr

Post by bdr »

I've always wondered if it was just out of tune backing harmonies...there's definitely the maj 3 in the harmonics against the min 3/#9 sung by Paul.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Now, I've got to go listen!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bdr wrote:I've always wondered if it was just out of tune backing harmonies...there's definitely the maj 3 in the harmonics against the min 3/#9 sung by Paul.
I noticed that the first time I heard it. Seems like one of those mistakes that sounds better uncorrected.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

scooter wrote:I've made a bet with someone years ago that the second chord in the Beatles "Michelle" in the verse was the dominant 7♯9 chord is sometimes known colloquially as the Hendrix chord or Purple Haze chord. They thought I was crazy. Which I am but.......

The chord under where Paul sings "ma belle." Is anyone hearing that 7 and #9 as the top 2 notes on the acoustic guitar?

scoots
Here's your proof. Exactly at 30 seconds look at Paul's hand..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrRLH-ZGZEs

or at 20 seconds here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cBUBzL5mhc

However, I don't like the use of a secondary dominant chord against that melody. It ultimately forms a D dim (or tri-tone, or the D clashes with Db at a bad time) sound with the word "ma belle (my beautiful)" and it seems out of place. Almost like he used that chord just because he knew it. But that's just my opinion.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks! It comes out so clearly in that performance, even without looking at the video.
zed

Post by zed »

zed wrote:
scooter wrote:You'd think logically it would be a Bbm7 with that #9
To my ears that's exactly what I think it is, with the #9 being played with a bar using his pinky:

Yabba Dabba!
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

nightwatch wrote:
scooter wrote:I've made a bet with someone years ago that the second chord in the Beatles "Michelle" in the verse was the dominant 7♯9 chord is sometimes known colloquially as the Hendrix chord or Purple Haze chord. They thought I was crazy. Which I am but.......

scoots
Here's your proof. Exactly at 30 seconds look at Paul's hand..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrRLH-ZGZEs

or at 20 seconds here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cBUBzL5mhc

However, I don't like the use of a secondary dominant chord against that melody. It ultimately forms a D dim (or tri-tone, or the D clashes with Db at a bad time) sound with the word "ma belle (my beautiful)" and it seems out of place. Almost like he used that chord just because he knew it. But that's just my opinion.
I agree. I think it's a regular dominant 7th on the record.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

He is clearly playing a Bb7#9 (on those video links you posted of his recent live version of it) which could be acceptable it he resolved the chord with the melody to a regular Bb7. As is it sounds wrong to my ears (sorry to say Sir Paul). The chord really should be a Bbmin7.

On the original recording it sounds like the guitar is doing a Db triad with the Db on top, the bass plays the root Bb there is no D so it's a Bbmin7.
Last edited by ironchef_marc on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

Sorry, I misspoke, ironchef is correct, it is a Bbmin7 on the record.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia