NI B4 does not load

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
GMT
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

NI B4 does not load

Post by GMT »

I reinstalled NI B4 on my laptop:

DP7.22, OS 10.6.8, MBP 2x2.53 i5, 4G RAM

B4 doesn't load during the DP startup splash display. I don't see it in any menus (project/add instrument track, or Tracks output column).

B4 works fine as standalone. NI website states that it was updated for use with Intel. I installed from OEM disk and also installed the update.

My guess is there's some resource file or plug-in gizmo that needs to be in a certain folder. I think it's an AU plug-in from what I recall of the installer options, or maybe MAS.

Any suggestion?
if it sounds good, it is good - ellington
macbook pro 2.53 4G OS 6.8 DP7.22 828mkII
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

NI B4 does not load

Post by kgdrum »

Yeah,I'd try calling NI tech support.
I have B4 here it's great it should work on your Mac. If I remember correctly I already had Komplete 5 or 6(whatever it last came with) already installed on my sample drive that I moved from my G5 to my newer Mac, did I actually install it on the newer rig? I'm not really sure,I can't remember.NI will be able to tell you what's possible or not with a quick phone call.
Good luck,
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
GMT

Re: NI B4 does not load

Post by GMT »

Thanks, KG. I will contact them.

Greg
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Is it not selected in the DP Audio Plug-ins preferences? If it is selected and still not showing up, try rebuilding the DP Audio Unit Info Cache. Delete it here ~/Library/Preferences/Digital Performer and it will be rebuilt on the next DP startup.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
GMT

Post by GMT »

NazRat wrote:Is it not selected in the DP Audio Plug-ins preferences? If it is selected and still not showing up, try rebuilding the DP Audio Unit Info Cache. Delete it here ~/Library/Preferences/Digital Performer and it will be rebuilt on the next DP startup.
It does not appear in the DP Audio Plug-ins Prefs window. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try your suggestion.

kgdrum wrote:Yeah,I'd try calling NI tech support. NI will be able to tell you what's possible or not with a quick phone call.
Good luck,
KG
I looked through their tech support pages and there is a post regarding SL compatibility with various NI software. Their perspective is that they want the end user to purchase their alternative products. They didn't post any relevant answer. I may call them anyway.
kgdrum

NI B4 does not load

Post by kgdrum »

Their tech support via phone is actually very good,if there is some kind of work around they should be able to assist you with solving this.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
zed

Post by zed »

I love B4, and yet it had already been discontinued when I first acquired it. If I wasn't worried about opening up current projects in the future and having my B4 track show up as "missing", I would probably use B4 on many of my songs. But since it's days are numbered I made the executive decision not to use it at all... and that is so disappointing, since I really like it a lot.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
kgdrum

NI B4 does not load

Post by kgdrum »

Zed-In case you don't know VB3 which got raves a couple of years ago was supposed to be the best alternative to NI's but for some reason it would not work w/ DP .
I've noticed recent posts here & on various forums that it now works with DP but I think so far only w/ Lion.
I have had my eyes open looking to see if any SL / DP users are getting it to work.
If I find more info , I will let you know.
zed

Post by zed »

What about the alternative Organ product that NI offered? Wasn't that supposed to be the official replacement in their offerings, and have a very similar sounding organs? I haven't upgraded Komplete for a couple of years so I've never managed to try and compare it to B4II.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
kgdrum

NI B4 does not load

Post by kgdrum »

I have K8U
I tried and actually use it, does it sound anywhere as nice as B4?
Not to my ears. I love NI but their discontinuation of B4 IMO was a total blunder, NI dropped the ball with this.
sprout

Post by sprout »

FWIW, I just threw an instance of B4 into a project and it seems to be working just fine. I only just got around to updating to Snow Leopard a couple of weeks ago, and reinstalled B4 along with the rest of Komplete 5 from my original installer discs.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 0SX10.6.8
UltraLite, DP7.24, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Komplete 5, UC-33e, Oxygen49, Motif 6.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I had a similar problem with most of my Waves stuff after a recent upgrade, and the solution was to simply uninstall and resinstall the plugs.... probably the quickest way to fix whatever little component/.bundle/plist/wha'evuh thing is missing.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
GMT

Post by GMT »

I spoke w/ a tech at NI who was very helpful. He stated that even though B4 works as standalone, it won't work as a plug-in. With SL, the Rosetta app allows for the functionality of a pre-Intel app, but even if the software item is in the proper AU location, it won't run. He advised me that B4 won't work at all w/ Lion as the PPC apps won't run in that OS.

I have B4 v1.1.5, I think he said version 2 might work; I was taking notes as quickly as possible. It may also run on a PC setup (FYI). BTW, v1.n will work w/ OS 10.3.9 as a plug-in, but not with later versions of OS. The NI tech was very helpful and knowledgeable. Also told me about a cross-grade offer for Vintage Organs, the alternative that runs within Kontakt.

However, interesting to note:
sprout wrote:FWIW, I just threw an instance of B4 into a project and it seems to be working just fine. I only just got around to updating to Snow Leopard a couple of weeks ago, and reinstalled B4 along with the rest of Komplete 5 from my original installer discs.
I may uninstall/reinstall to see what if. Then I'll have a look at what software bit is in the AU folder to see if I can get it working. Thanks all for responding.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I also have only used as a plugin,never as stand alone
I think it works for me because it was installed in my old G5 system pre SL on a Sample Drive and when I moved to & setup the Macpro in SL I just popped the hd into the Mac Pro.
I also installed as part of Komplete 5, is it possible that they have different installers?
or is it because I installed before SL? I'm really not sure.
the installer for this probably has never been updated to work post PPC in a SL intel based system,I don't think its actually a B4 issue as much as a outmoded installer issue
I was playing with it just last week
weird stuff! :shake:
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

GMT wrote:I have B4 v1.1.5, I think he said version 2 might work; I was taking notes as quickly as possible. It may also run on a PC setup (FYI). BTW, v1.n will work w/ OS 10.3.9 as a plug-in, but not with later versions of OS. The NI tech was very helpful and knowledgeable. Also told me about a cross-grade offer for Vintage Organs, the alternative that runs within Kontakt.
B4 II (2.0.4) working with DP7.24/Lion as both plug and standalone. Don't remember which version of Komplete that's attached to - I migrated 5 and 6.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1