Thoughts about DP on Windows

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
KEVORKIAN
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by KEVORKIAN »

Alas, I didn't because I was in such shock about all of the new developments! Haha!

My friends practically had to support me on two sides as we walked outta there!

This is all good stuff though. I'm always glad to see DP continue to evolve.

The cocoa-ized DP8 demo seemed very peppy.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

It's been said many times but I'll say it again... Magic Dave is a good dude.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
monkey man

Re: Thoughts about DP on Windows

Post by monkey man »

KEVORKIAN wrote:I spoke to Dave after the DP8 demo I attended and he stated that MOTU has VST ready for the PC version and that VST support on the Mac is something they would be listening to users about.

I let him know that I'm hoping they also decide to implement it on the Mac side.
Hoo-bloody-rah! About time. Way to go MOTU.
KEVORKIAN wrote:The cocoa-ized DP8 demo seemed very peppy.
IOW... snappy? :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

Granted the loaded project was not very large and I was feeling a bit light-headed as I clicked around (!!!) but, yes the interface appeared very snappy in all respects as did the Windows version.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

KEVORKIAN wrote:Granted the loaded project was not very large and I was feeling a bit light-headed as I clicked around (!!!) but, yes the interface appeared very snappy in all respects as did the Windows version.
Any UI differences that you noticed? I'm one of those people that really really loved all the improvements of DP7 GUI and UI wise, so feed me. :mrgreen:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

KEVORKIAN wrote:Granted the loaded project was not very large and I was feeling a bit light-headed as I clicked around (!!!) but, yes the interface appeared very snappy in all respects as did the Windows version.
Wow!!!
we have the 1st DP8 snappy proclamation!!!
Now I'm getting excited,only 2 or 3 months to go......
snappy snappy happiness!
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
zed

Post by zed »

kgdrum wrote:Wow!!!
we have the 1st DP8 snappy proclamation!!!
Now I'm getting excited,only 2 or 3 months to go......
snappy snappy happiness!
I expected Safari to be snappier while running in 64 bit, but it seems pretty much the same as usual. I haven't noticed a single difference, except that System Profiler confirms that I am booted in a 64 bit kernel.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Is your version of Safari up to date? What I notice is non-64 bit programs like Quicken (and DP) take fairly long to load while 64 bit programs load and perform much better than their 32 bit ancestors. Safari will launch as if it is in RAM on my system. I wonder if Rosetta needs to launch to run Quicken since there is always a bit of a delay before the splash screen will even show up. But Safari is nearly instantaneous to launch and on my 18mb fibre optic Uverse service, pages sometimes load so fast I think the program is stuck, not even able to see the page load.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zed

Post by zed »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Is your version of Safari up to date?
I'm still running Safari 5.0.4. If I update I will have to also update my OS to 10.6.8 (as I am still using 10.6.7). Not sure I want to try that right now. I'm sure I will be "forced" to upgrade sooner than later, but I think I'll wait until I really have to. Things are pretty smooth at the moment (even if not working at lightning speeds).
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

KEVORKIAN wrote: ...very snappy in all respects...
I'm only seeing these words for some reason. Did you say anything else? LOL

You bloody ripper. Thank you, 'Vorks.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
willheim

Post by willheim »

Gotta say, my PC is rock solid and the new windows 64 bit pro is really easy to drive. I use both.
mac pro 2.66 2010 8 core w 48 gig 1600 ddr, Mac OS 10.6.8, DP 7.21, the usual plugs and stuff.