Controling CueMix Volume by MIDI?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
DJeff
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Controling CueMix Volume by MIDI?

Post by DJeff »

Hi everybody,

is it possible to control the CueMix volume faders by MIDI, with a Novation Remote 25 SL for exemple?...

Cheers
Mac Book Pro 2.2 i7, 10.6.8, 8 gig ram, DP 7.24, Ableton 8.2.8, Reason 6.0.2, Recycle 2.1.2, UAD-1, Arturia Prophet, Arturia Moog Modular, NI Spektral Delay 1.5.7, Miroslav Philarmonik, NI Komplete 8, Traktor-Pro 2.1.2, Fender Jazz Bass, Adams P11, Yamaha NS 10m, Mackie Big Knob, UltraLite mk3, M-Audio 410, Novation Nocturn, Korg PadKontrol, Korg Nano Kontrol, X-Session, X-Session Pro, Novation Launchpad, Automap Pro, Mixed In Key 5, etc...
1nput0utput

Re: Controling CueMix Volume by MIDI?

Post by 1nput0utput »

No.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
audiogreg
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by audiogreg »

I am using a Behringer BCF2000 to control CueMix, which is a MIDI control surface if I'm not mistaken. However I have only been able to control the faders for Mix 1. Would love to get it to control all of the the mixes...
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

The BCF2000 can be switched into a Mackie Control Universal or HUI emulation mode, and then it will work to control CueMix FX. In fact, any control surface device that supports the MCU or HUI protocols could be used (including various devices from Frontier Design, Tascam, Radikal, etc.).
johnsbaker

Post by johnsbaker »

No, this is not the case. CueMix has an antiquated port structure, and will only recognize actual MIDI ports. The rest of the industry has gone to virtual and USB-based MIDI interfacing (which Digital Performer supports, as well as all industry standard DAWs), but for some reason the CueMix software team has this ancient setup for using Mackie emulations to control.

I have spent mucho time time working with various USB-based controllers that do Mackie emulation (HUI, Baby HUI, Mackie Control, etc), and they work fine with DAWs, but NOT with CueMix. The MOTU support group hasn't been much help, as there is not a solution other than for their software guys to get off their hands and fix it.
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

Most USB control surfaces publish virtual MIDI ports, and those ports appear on the device in the MIDI configuration in Audio MIDI Setup. If I recall correctly, this is true for the the BCF2000. So add a Mackie Control Universal device to your MIDI configuration, and connect it to one of the BCF2000's virtual MIDI ports. Then CueMix FX will be able to use that MIDI endpoint as a control surface. (Of course the BCF2000 must also be switched to the Mackie Control mode.)
fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey »

johnsbaker wrote:No, this is not the case. CueMix has an antiquated port structure, and will only recognize actual MIDI ports. The rest of the industry has gone to virtual and USB-based MIDI interfacing (which Digital Performer supports, as well as all industry standard DAWs), but for some reason the CueMix software team has this ancient setup for using Mackie emulations to control.

I have spent mucho time time working with various USB-based controllers that do Mackie emulation (HUI, Baby HUI, Mackie Control, etc), and they work fine with DAWs, but NOT with CueMix. The MOTU support group hasn't been much help, as there is not a solution other than for their software guys to get off their hands and fix it.
sorry, this is not correct, although it is true that the MOTU documentation regarding control surface setup is scanty and poor.

to make it work (as mentioned in the previous post), you need to create a new external device (these have the connections on the top) in Audio MIDI Setup, and connect it to the appropriate virtual ports of a MIDI interface device (these are the devices with the connections on the bottom).

you need to do this even if you have a real Mackie Control and it is connected via USB MIDI. for example, my Mackie Control Universal Pro appears as an interface device called "MCU Pro USB v3.1" in Audio MIDI Setup, with four sets of ports along the bottom. to make it work with Cue Mix FX, i have created a new external MIDI device, with the following settings:

Device Name: Mackie Control
Manufacturer: Mackie
Model: Mackie Control

i have then connected this new device to port 1 of the "MCU Pro USB v3.1" device. the Mackie Control device now appears in the control surfaces setup in Cue Mix FX.

this same technique should work with any MIDI controller that has Mackie Control, HUI, or Baby HUI emulation.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Just an addition related to DP 7....

No more MIDI device is needed, DP talks directly to BCF2000...

Best

Klaus
fishmonkey wrote:
johnsbaker wrote:No, this is not the case. CueMix has an antiquated port structure, and will only recognize actual MIDI ports. The rest of the industry has gone to virtual and USB-based MIDI interfacing (which Digital Performer supports, as well as all industry standard DAWs), but for some reason the CueMix software team has this ancient setup for using Mackie emulations to control.

sorry, this is not correct, although it is true that the MOTU documentation regarding control surface setup is scanty and poor.

to make it work (as mentioned in the previous post), you need to create a new external device (these have the connections on the top) in Audio MIDI Setup, and connect it to the appropriate virtual ports of a MIDI interface device (these are the devices with the connections on the bottom).

you need to do this even if you have a real Mackie Control and it is connected via USB MIDI. for example, my Mackie Control Universal Pro appears as an interface device called "MCU Pro USB v3.1" in Audio MIDI Setup, with four sets of ports along the bottom. to make it work with Cue Mix FX, i have created a new external MIDI device, with the following settings:

Device Name: Mackie Control
Manufacturer: Mackie
Model: Mackie Control

i have then connected this new device to port 1 of the "MCU Pro USB v3.1" device. the Mackie Control device now appears in the control surfaces setup in Cue Mix FX.

this same technique should work with any MIDI controller that has Mackie Control, HUI, or Baby HUI emulation.
johnsbaker

Post by johnsbaker »

I'm sorry that you're sorry, but my statements are indeed correct, and thoroughly researched. Curiously, this week I tried to use the excellent OpusLocus application "LC Xmu" which does deep and thorough Mackie HUI and Baby HUI control emulations and management. Even their documentation states that CueMix is not supported, as MOTU "...can’t address a Mackie Control via a virtual CoreMIDI port. Annoy MOTU about this..."

Well, I have annoyed MOTU about this, but they don't seem to understand that much of the world has evolved beyond physical ports and Mackie controllers.
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

I use my Euphonix/Avid MCMix to control CueMix... I created a virtual MCU in Audio/MIDI setup, and it works fine. It is a shame it only reflects the levels for Buss 1.

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

audiogreg wrote:I am using a Behringer BCF2000 to control CueMix, which is a MIDI control surface if I'm not mistaken. However I have only been able to control the faders for Mix 1. Would love to get it to control all of the the mixes...
You can switch the BFC2000 to output mode,
Push shift ( left button below the display ) *and* flip ( right button below the display )
select the output ( channel select = Mixbus select ), switch back to input mode
Push shift ( left button below the display ) *and* flip ( right button below the display ) again,
and adjust faders for this mix...

:dance:
Klaus
fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey »

johnsbaker wrote:
I'm sorry that you're sorry, but my statements are indeed correct, and thoroughly researched. Curiously, this week I tried to use the excellent OpusLocus application "LC Xmu" which does deep and thorough Mackie HUI and Baby HUI control emulations and management. Even their documentation states that CueMix is not supported, as MOTU "...can’t address a Mackie Control via a virtual CoreMIDI port. Annoy MOTU about this..."

Well, I have annoyed MOTU about this, but they don't seem to understand that much of the world has evolved beyond physical ports and Mackie controllers.
fyi, the current generation of Mackie Control devices have USB-MIDI in addition to physical MIDI ports, and unless i am hallucinating i control CueMix via the virtual CoreMIDI ports, both from my MCU Pro and other MIDI controllers that do not have physical MIDI ports.

i used LC Xmu for a couple of years before i bought an actual MCU Pro, and unfortunately the development of LC Xmu seems to have seriously stalled.
myssinglynk

Post by myssinglynk »

So, from this discussion it seems that MOTU is claiming that Cuemix will work with controllers that have Mackie Control and/or HUI emulation modes, but many of us have found that this is simply not true.

If anyone has read or otherwise heard from MOTU specifically about this false claim and NOT simply been handed a line about "well, it's up to the manufacturer of the control surface" please let us know. :banghead:

What is the recourse when the buck is constantly passed like this? I'm pretty sure it's on MOTU to get their software working as they say it will. My control surface does have an MC emulation mode, and does work successfully with DP, but it's looking like I've wasted my money because of MOTU's false claims that Cuemix will work with surfaces with MC emulation. :(
fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey »

myssinglynk wrote:So, from this discussion it seems that MOTU is claiming that Cuemix will work with controllers that have Mackie Control and/or HUI emulation modes, but many of us have found that this is simply not true.

If anyone has read or otherwise heard from MOTU specifically about this false claim and NOT simply been handed a line about "well, it's up to the manufacturer of the control surface" please let us know. :banghead:

What is the recourse when the buck is constantly passed like this? I'm pretty sure it's on MOTU to get their software working as they say it will. My control surface does have an MC emulation mode, and does work successfully with DP, but it's looking like I've wasted my money because of MOTU's false claims that Cuemix will work with surfaces with MC emulation. :(
the documentation from MOTU about using control surfaces with CueMix is crap, that is true.

however if you know what you are doing and/or figure it out by trial and error then it does work.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

myssinglynk wrote:So, from this discussion it seems that MOTU is claiming that Cuemix will work with controllers that have Mackie Control and/or HUI emulation modes, but many of us have found that this is simply not true.

Sorry, what isn't working - MCU emulation and Cuemix FX ?

Klaus