Get the Ghost out of my Audio Express!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Nanovox
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Get the Ghost out of my Audio Express!

Post by Nanovox »

Hey guys, I bought a MOTU Audio Express in October and, well, now it's beyond my 30-day return possibility. I thought this was some kind of mis-configuration issue, but I'm beginning to lose hope. I've got a bad chase of the high-pitched noise / audio drop-out problems.

I'm running the Audio Express over USB on my USB2 SuperSpeed ports (tried with the same problems on my USB3 port). I don't have a 4-to-6 Firewire cable, or I would try it out on that port, but I have a feeling that this is some kind of computer latency problem that is causing sync problems with the device. I have no other USB devices hooked up besides a mouse, which is hooked into a separate channel entirely.

The only time I don't seem to have problems with this device, oddly enough, is when I have no internet activity and I'm recording. Unfortunately the last 8 years of my life I've had my DAW software set up to store all my work on the network. Though, I have had less trouble with the DAW than I have had with things like WMP and websites.

I've already got a ticket in with MOTU about this, but their response time is about once every two weeks. Pathetic.

I have a Quad Core i7 640 1.6Ghz laptop that I'm running this on. This is no ordinary laptop. It is designed as a desktop replacement--CPU obviously, 4gb ram, discrete graphics, and expensive.

I was hoping that the $400 price tag on the Audio Express meant it was going to be reliable and I didn't see any complaints about it until after I bought this thing and ran into these cracklings and high-pitched sound drop-outs.

Is this the case with any brand USB interface? Should I switch over to running it on Firewire? Should I go out and buy a stable USB sound card and use the Audio Express as an AUX device?

I'm coming close to my limit with my acceptance of this device because I can't enjoy leisure entertainment with this unit. Either I find some answers on how to get this thing to stop dropping out every half hour (that is a very rough average of week over week usage) or I'm literally going to go out and buy either a M-Audio unit or something else that I've seen with a better fan base and use this thing as purely hardware.

Can you help a guy out? Are there driver or BIOS settings I can tweak to resolve this, even if it isn't a 100% cure? I can't listen to music or watch a movie through this unit without it crapping out between five minutes and an hour.

I even tried hooking it up so I only record from the unit and all audio going INTO the unit is done through the analog ports. Still happens. I can't trust this unit on a live stage at all, or the audience would go deaf at random.

Thanks in advanced!
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Get the Ghost out of my Audio Express!

Post by torrentg »

Hi,

First thing is first, based on your description.

Head on over to the MANUFACTURER'S websites for your wireless and wired network adapters. This means the chip makers.

This means places such as Realtek, Marvell, Intel, Broadcom etc... depending on your adapters, obviously.

Download/install the latest drivers for them. Of course, make sure the latest MOTU driver is installed too.

If issues persist, disable or delete all unnecessary items that start with Windows. You can use Regedit for this or if unfamiliar with that, type msconfig in the start menu and press enter. Use this instead then.

If issues persist, use this excellent guide to disable all unnecessary services. To do so, use services.msc typed into the start menu. (Scroll down at this link: http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/bl ... gurations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Also, make sure ALL drivers for everything on the system are updated to newest from the MANUFACTURER'S sites.

If issues persist, uninstall whatever antivirus you have in safe mode, using the tool to do so, found online for your specific antivirus. Reboot and install MSE to replace it.

If these steps have not helped you, then I can look over your system in a few ways.

Do you have any files in C:\Windows\Minidump? Answer that and then we can continue to solve this from there.

Good luck.
heartgolden37

cable trays

Post by heartgolden37 »

Cable Trays are ideal for use in home, building, and other construction sites. The two types of cable trays are M.E.2 and CM20. M.E.2 is made of 0.187 diameter zinc plated steel wire while CM20 meets UL requirements as a ground conductor and has five different colors that is Yellow, Chrome, White, Black, and Orange.
cable trays
millerwilson

Cable trays

Post by millerwilson »

It is such a good products because it is very little product but very use full.It is use in under construction building or any place where use cable.
cable trays