PCIe EXPANSION CHASSIS????

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: PCIe EXPANSION CHASSIS????

Post by Frodo »

I would check with sonnet tech.com. They have a TB card which could open up some possibilities for current needs while doing more than stop-gapping the future.

I like to think of it as an investment in my musical work which can often pay for certain types of computer improvements. Downtime on any machine is costly.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
macguy

Post by macguy »

Frodo wrote:I would check with sonnet tech.com. They have a TB card which could open up some possibilities for current needs while doing more than stop-gapping the future.

I like to think of it as an investment in my musical work which can often pay for certain types of computer improvements. Downtime on any machine is costly.
Exactly... I don't thin they're out yet though Frodo.
I'd keep the UAD cards in the mac and just get an ethernet solution for backup like a Drobo (if it's just for backup) but to RAID internally, software solutions are pretty stable nowadays compared to the hardware cards... they BOTH can fail. If you just want to back up to a RAID go with a networkable Drobo... just have it set to backup on your downtime @ night.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

macguy wrote:
burp182 wrote:To answer the OP's question - yes, it's the 2U ExpressBox 4.
Yeah... break out your wallet! :shake:
I think helping people is a great thing to do... but I think telling people to throw their $$ away isn't in their best interest IMO.
Giving an answer is fine. Quoting someone else's post and critiquing its validity isn't necessary in this case. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
macguy

Post by macguy »

I thought we were in a recession... :shock:
Guess some are fortunate enough to be immune to it...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

macguy wrote:I thought we were in a recession... :shock:
It's not the style, it's the substance. No need to be the referee. I think you made your point that it's dumb, stupid, whatever, to get the chassis. No need to continue to make it. Thanks.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
macguy

Post by macguy »

James Steele wrote:
macguy wrote:I thought we were in a recession... :shock:
It's not the style, it's the substance. No need to be the referee. I think you made your point that it's dumb, stupid, whatever, to get the chassis. No need to continue to make it. Thanks.
I never used the term "dumb" or "stupid" or anything along that line or insinuated that... just that for a RAID backup solution, that's a very expensive alterntive and I put it into perspective that you could but another computer, and a better alternative with todays technologies than for the price of that chassis (that's like what, 5 years old tech) no harm done... just looking at things as they are. I'd go ethernet with a Drobo in RAID 5 and be done with it... about $800 including drives approximately... have a nice Christmas! :D
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

No, macguy, you never use the words "dumb" or "stupid:" but your user-group style, your focus on the gear and not the music, and your insistence that you will not stop typing until they admit you are right is a little bit offensive. You should tone it down a notch: offer your opinion, and if someone decides not to listen... Well, what do you care?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
macguy

Post by macguy »

Gravity Jim wrote:No, macguy, you never use the words "dumb" or "stupid:" but your user-group style, your focus on the gear and not the music, and your insistence that you will not stop typing until they admit you are right is a little bit offensive. You should tone it down a notch: offer your opinion, and if someone decides not to listen... Well, what do you care?
Okay, whatever you say! I'll just stop here because I notice things can, and WILL go on forever here.
Drobos work great (and use ethernet) and it's RAID5 so why go get an expansion chassis. I can see if he had 3 or more UAD cards... that's what most did back in the day of UAD1 but with the UAD2 Quads power... you don't need to go there, plus the PCI buss with that many cards is a bit taxing... there's only so much bandwidth available until you start running into issues.
burp182
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by burp182 »

I have 3 UAD Quad cards. The chassis is the only solution that allows me to use my other PCIe cards in the computer while having the power of the Quads. Works perfectly, too.

Somehow I don't see the problem here...
Lots of noise, though.
DP 7.24, Mac 2.8 8 core, 10GB RAM, 2 UAD-2 Quad, a massive pile of plug-ins and 3 slave PCs with VIs. VEP to connect everything.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm the admin and trust me, they don't always go on forever here. I can make them stop very quickly.

rumorcontrol

Post by rumorcontrol »

Thanks for the tip on the Magma. Works flawlessly out of the box with no issues...
Not sure what all the fuss is about your recommendation....

RC
MAC PRO 12 CORE, DP5, DP6, DP7, Melodyne Studio, Nuendo 4, Vienna Instruments ,Project Sam, LA Scoring Strings, EastWest Platinum Pro,Ethno World Complete, Stormdrum 2, Ivory, Access, NEVE 1073's, API 512's, Rob Papen Blue & Albino, Mach 5, NI Komplete, Ocean Way Drums, UAD QUAD, Waves Platinum, Sonnox, Altiverb, Millena HV-3C ,3 Apogee Rosetta 800's, Apogee Symphony card, Shadow Hills Equinox. Barefoot MM 27s...etc
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Great !!
Good to hear,Magma knows what they are doing.
Enjoy
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
macguy

Post by macguy »

rumorcontrol wrote:Thanks for the tip on the Magma. Works flawlessly out of the box with no issues...
Not sure what all the fuss is about your recommendation....

RC
Magmas only take your $$... that's all I was making a point about from the beginning...
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

lol
You never quit but you're wrong.
Magma does what the OP needed for his system so he can work the way he wants to w/ his tools . This gives him the ability to operate his rig w/ multiple UAD cards,
case closed.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
macguy

Post by macguy »

Well your right Kickdrum about that... he wasted his $$ because he didn't even need to go to the PCIe buss for backing up... could have just used ethernet and could have every box he has backup to it... the Drobo FS are nice and they can handle a dual drive failure... way cheaper is all I said, so grow up.