Ultralite Hybrid driver problems with Windows 7 64-Bit

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
si.
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ultralite Hybrid driver problems with Windows 7 64-Bit

Post by si. »

Hey,

would be grateful if someone could get to the bottom of this for me!

My Motu is acting very unstable. Symptoms range from irregular CPU spikes to full on BSOD (where the computer powers off)

Here's the crash log

==================================================
Dump File : 112811-33680-01.dmp
Crash Time : 28.11.2011 07:55:48
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007e
Parameter 1 : ffffffff`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff880`0cd789bb
Parameter 3 : fffff880`0d501598
Parameter 4 : fffff880`0d500df0
Caused By Driver : Motufwa64.sys
Caused By Address : Motufwa64.sys+46834
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : Motufwa64.sys+459bb
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\112811-33680-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 292.808
==================================================

Oh and I should mention that I am using it via USB as I dont have firewire ports.

Thanks!
j_e_f

Re: Ultralite Hybrid driver problems with Windows 7 64-Bit

Post by j_e_f »

You're using the latest driver from MOTU's web site (not the one on the CDROM)?

That dump indicates the problem is the MOTU firewire driver. My Ultralite works fine in Win 7 64-bit with firewire, the standard Win7 firewire stack, the latest driver, and a Texas Instruments firewire chip.

Just for a test, try the USB connection and see how that works.
si.

Post by si. »

hey thanks for the reply. This is using the USB connection - I don't have firewire. Might have to go buy a firewire card...

I am using the latest driver (version 4.0.48697)

Anyone experienced similar issues?
Mr Fossy

Post by Mr Fossy »

I have experienced very similar problems, albeit with an Audio Express using the USB connection on Windows 7 64-bit.

Multiple blue screens of death. It's been rather annoying, and I still haven't worked out a solution...

So, if you come across one, do share!
si.

Post by si. »

Will do and likewise :)

Wonder if its just USB or if I buy a firewire expansion card will the problem persist?
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

Hello people, i'm experiencing same issues with ultralite hybrid, even playing from my DAW (ableton live 8.2) or any windows reproducer. The connection is via USB too.I've installed the latest drivers from the motu web.
Noise, crackles, a real disaster.

I read some answers of the user torrentg, and he seems to be some kind of master of this stuff :) maybe he can help us with this.

Problematic configuration here:
win7 64bit USB

B0o0o0om
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by torrentg »

Hey ya...

Anyone having bsod issues, whether it is MOTU related or otherwise, I can help out.

Just navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy files in there to any other folder, then zip or rar all of the files. Upload the zip or rar to Megaupload, Multiupload or similar.

Paste a link here and I'll tell you of the issue(s) that I see or that I can educated guess at.
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

Hi everyone, thanks a lot torrentg for your reply :)

Chatting with some friends we realize that maybe the problem could be generated for another usb audio driver. I had an MAudio fast track pro board that i used to use with computer. I just uninstalled that driver and everything solved! Really easy, i was thinking in something more complicated...

So if you are having crackles, pops, audio cuts and extreme latency, maybe some alternative drivers are causing the issue. If you didn't have other drivers the problem is from something different.

thanks for the participation!!!

bo0o0m
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

You're welcome. Great job Wizard!

Yep, looking at the crash dumps if it became necessary, that would have been tops on the list to ask if you still actually have/use the M-Audio.

They have been known to have bsod drivers and any driver installed on the system, in actual use or not, can and does affect the system because of the fact it is loaded into volatile memory (RAM).

Anyhow, for others with similar problem, it is always advisable to uninstall drivers not in use ever (by you, actually) and to update all possible drivers to latest.

Stay away from Norton, AVG products, especially the complete security packages. They're notorious.
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

torrentg wrote: They have been known to have bsod drivers and any driver installed on the system, in actual use or not, can and does affect the system because of the fact it is loaded into volatile memory (RAM).
Oh! something to be really aware of!

si. could you fix yoour issue??

thanks again for the data peo0o0ople
Mr Fossy

Post by Mr Fossy »

torrentg wrote:Paste a link here and I'll tell you of the issue(s) that I see or that I can educated guess at.
Hey torrentg :) Are you still able/willing to do this? I've had a few crashes with my AudioExpress. I suspect the problem is the Realtek Audio drivers on my laptop, but I'm not precisely sure...

If you can, I'd appreciate it... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KGDFF2B2

Cheers...
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Mr Fossy wrote:
torrentg wrote:Paste a link here and I'll tell you of the issue(s) that I see or that I can educated guess at.
Hey torrentg :) Are you still able/willing to do this? I've had a few crashes with my AudioExpress. I suspect the problem is the Realtek Audio drivers on my laptop, but I'm not precisely sure...

If you can, I'd appreciate it... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KGDFF2B2

Cheers...
Sure thing.

What may very likely fix this is simply to update to the latest MOTU driver available on their site for your unit. The version of the driver you have installed now is not current:

0: kd> lmvm motufwa64
start end module name
fffff880`07000000 fffff880`07095000 Motufwa64 T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: Motufwa64.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Motufwa64.sys
Image name: Motufwa64.sys
Timestamp: Mon Mar 07 15:04:28 2011 (4D753A4C)
CheckSum: 0009B989
ImageSize: 00095000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

--------------------

I really do not see too much else in the way of being a possible culprit. I can always have a fresh look if you have a new crash, after updating the MOTU driver to latest. Just post the latest .dmp file(s) rar up as before.

Good luck. :)
Last edited by torrentg on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Whoops, spoke a little too soon. You'll definitely want to complete the above as recommended, but then you'll also want to completely uninstall the McAfee which has caused definite crashes.

I very much recommend MSE as it is free, excellent, and the only antivirus available in the world that is impossible to actually be the cause of crashes.

Other products I can recommend are Kaspersky and ESET. Typically, the single antivirus products are more stable overall on the largest number of systems, compared to the suite packages with firewall included and other functionalities.

---------------------

If there is a specific special download tool to remove the McAfee, I would use that in safe mode to do so.

0: kd> lmvm mfenlfk
start end module name
fffff880`042f2000 fffff880`04302b80 mfenlfk (deferred)
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mfenlfk.sys
Image name: mfenlfk.sys
Timestamp: Wed Mar 02 19:01:47 2011 (4D6EDA6B)
CheckSum: 000225F4
ImageSize: 00010B80
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Mr Fossy

Post by Mr Fossy »

Thanks torrentg, I do appreciate your help :)

Odd about the drivers - I thought I'd upgraded them. Anyhow, I'll try that... Any my McAfee subscription is running out soon, so it's rather good timing.

I'll post again with... Whatever the result happens to be. Cheers!

UPDATE:

I installed the drivers again, and removed McAfee, and I've been enjoying vastly superior performance ever since! No crackles/pops/other audio artifacts, at least. And no crashes, which used to happen within minutes of me plugging my bass into the Audio Express inputs.

Caution dictates that I should stop short of saying that my problems are solved... But for now, a big cheers to you, torrentg :)

I might post another update once I'm certain that everything is working as it should.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

lol Mr. Fossy

I logged in here because I didn't see any update from you because you edited your last post instead of making a new one. I see it now, obviously.

I was going to say something like "So you're really busy enjoying the working system that you forgot to update us on its status?" :-P

Very glad to hear of how things are going! I enjoy helping other computer enthusiasts, especially musicians and gear-oriented people.

Happy holidays and yep, if there are any further issues, please let us know and if not, best of luck in the future.