HELP!! 2408 EMERGENCY!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
spurn
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

HELP!! 2408 EMERGENCY!!

Post by spurn »

I am using a 2408mk3 with DP 4.6 on a dual 2 Gig G5. While backing up a session today I got the dark "'your computer needs to be restarted' in several languages" screen. When I restarted the PCI card could not see my 2408. I have tried re-installing the latest version of the PCI drivers, trashing the PCI prefs files, etc. but nothing seems to work. I have sessions ALL THIS WEEK AND I NEED TO GET UP AND RUNNING ASAP.

Sorry to yell, but I'm a little freaked out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
zedboy

Post by zedboy »

I can only suggest that you unplug the 2408 and try to reset it to Factory Defaults. That worked with my 828. Then restart it and the computer. Also, make sure the card hasn't been jostled in the slot. Good luck.
dix

Post by dix »

Repair permissions. If the computer's been moved or if you've done anything inside it try re-seating the card, (or try a different slot) and re-plugging the Audio-Wire. Call MOTU first thing tomorrow. ....sorry, that's all I got.

Some questions: Does the System profiler see the pci card? Does the 2408 do anything *at all* when you restart your mac?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Riffi

Kernel Panic

Post by Riffi »

Likely causes is fauty hardware, the console logs can give you a clue, ex. cpu0 or cpu1 trap error in the first line of the crash log means there was a fault in the processor and may need replacement. :cry:'
Random Kernal Panics could also be caused by a bad memory stick. Did you instal memory recently? if yes return it to the shop and get them to test it. Apple's hardware test CD may have it pass even though its faulty. You might even get all the memory professionaly tested, just to rule it out. If your lucky a reseat of the card or a PRAM reset might solve the problem. The "semi transparent screan of death" is not pretty and often associated with hardware failure, sorry for the bad news.
Possible suggestions, borrow/rent firewire MOTU converter to keep going, or try the card on a different G5 to see if its the card or the computer thats at fault.
btmgmusic

Try all of the above and this....

Post by btmgmusic »

I had similar problems with my G5 Dual 2Ghz back when I had my 2408 MK3. I experienced Kernel panic screens - and after discovering a bad RAM chip - they went away.
However, replacing the RAM did not solve the problem after all - only the kernel panics... I still had situations where the PCI card would not show up after a restart ("No MOTU hardware found"-message)...
Try removing the PCI-424 card (physically out of the PCI slot) and then re-inserting it. Then, upon a restart it would magically appear again. Give it a try...It may be your "quick fix".
I later discovered that my underlying issue was actually a problem with the PCI bus electric power.
I had Apple authorized techs replace the whole power supply on my G5. After I got the new power supply not only did the MOTU PCI issue disappear, but also overall USB power stability and performance improved significantly. So, if you experience the PCI card issue a lot - I recommend you go and check your G5's power supply at your nearest Apple Tech.

Cheers,

JACK
BTMGMUSIC
Mac Dual 2.0Ghz G5 (5GB RAM) OS X (10.3.8 ),
PT HD3 ACCEL w/ 192 & 96i I/O's, ANTELOPE ISOCHRONE OCX, COMMAND 8,
MOTU MTP x2, EXPRESS XT x1, DP 4.6, PT 6.9,
Mac Powerbook 1.5GhzG4 (1.5GB RAM) OS X (10.3.9 ), MOTU Traveler, REASON 3, PEAK 4, ARTURIA VINTAGE BNDL, NI KOMPLETE 2, MACH5, EWQSLO PLATINUM, SONY OXFORD TDM, GRM TOOLS, SOUNDTOYS BNDL, WAVES PLATINUM BNDL, USB UF & X-FX, TIMEWARP 2600, TL SPACE, MP 3 & 4.
spurn

Thank you All!

Post by spurn »

So I did everything you all suggested and one of those suggestions (or a combination of all of them) eliminated my problem and my rig is back up and running. Thank you all so much for your help!
dix

Post by dix »

Any idea which one spurn? Was it bad RAM?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dtobocman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dtobocman »

Same thing happened to me yesterday. A power cycle of the 2408 fixed it... I went 'round a 'round for a while... I know, it's simple and obvious, but that could have been your problem. While you were reinstalling, etc... did you ever once power cycle the 2408? I know I didn't....[/i]
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

Yep I've seen this once or twice (kernel panic) and a power cycle of the 2408 fixed the issue.
spurn

Post by spurn »

In my case I tried power cycling, but it didn't fix the problem. A combination of moving the card to a different slot, repairing permissions, and zapping the PRAM did the trick. There was no RAM problem, because I didn't change anything there but everything's working fine. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.
Harry

Post by Harry »

What means "Power Cycle"?
OS 10.14.6, iMac i7.3,5 with 32 GB Ram, 828x, Miditimepiece AV, DP 10.00 (ger.)
MachFive 3, MSi, Ethno 1, Omnisphere 2, Sampletank 4, Forest Kingdom II, Desert Winds, EWQLSO-Silver, Real Guitar 2, VLP120, PLP120, VCP120, Liquid Saxophones, Elastic, The Resource, Wave Arts PowerSuite 4+5 and Master Restoration, Kontaktplayer, Absynth 5, Ni Action Strings etc.
Hideout
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Hideout »

Power cycle = turn it off, wait a minute or so, then turn it on again.
Without music, Life would be a Mistake
- Nietzsche

Post by Harry »

Thanks! :)
OS 10.14.6, iMac i7.3,5 with 32 GB Ram, 828x, Miditimepiece AV, DP 10.00 (ger.)
MachFive 3, MSi, Ethno 1, Omnisphere 2, Sampletank 4, Forest Kingdom II, Desert Winds, EWQLSO-Silver, Real Guitar 2, VLP120, PLP120, VCP120, Liquid Saxophones, Elastic, The Resource, Wave Arts PowerSuite 4+5 and Master Restoration, Kontaktplayer, Absynth 5, Ni Action Strings etc.