DP 7.24 crashing... re open and Kontakt instances blank!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
hrw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by hrw »

I'm having some crashes and then when i reopen the session. The Kontakt instances in DP are empty with none of the previously saved instruments in them. As you can imagine this is immensely aggravating!
Anyone had this issue before. I'm using both K4 and 5... and it's happened with both versions in the past few days.
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
bdr

Re: DP 7.24 crashing... re open and Kontakt instances blank!

Post by bdr »

I have had the same issue, mainly on one particular project. Really annoying, I ended up saving each of my instances of K4 as a multi so at least I could get it back without to much hassle. In my case it was always an instance of K4 with Session String Pro loaded up. I don't know why and don't expect to find out.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

Yes, same here. It happened recently and was terribly annoying. I'm mostly working in another daw these days so let it go so am not sure if it's just another DP anomaly or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
dix

Post by dix »

This has happened to me several times. With Omnisphere too. The work-around, when this happens, is to open the auto-saved version of the sequence and save the Multis (of which ever dumped it's patches) and then open them in the instances in the current version.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

My theory is, that since both Kontakt and Omnisphere use sample servers (or whatever you call it when the app is able to access different RAM partitions), it's something to do with that, relatively new, technology.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dbawmp

Post by dbawmp »

Same crashing here, I noticed a unique sound when it crashes, its like an audio stutter. If hear the stutter on the crash, my all instances of k5 will be blank upon reloading the session. If I crash and don't hear that audio they load just fine.
hrw

Post by hrw »

dbawmp wrote:Same crashing here, I noticed a unique sound when it crashes, its like an audio stutter. If hear the stutter on the crash, my all instances of k5 will be blank upon reloading the session. If I crash and don't hear that audio they load just fine.
Yes, very annoying indeed!
dix may be right. Ther5e may be a server memory connection as i've noticed that K4/5 doesn't seem to purge it's samples when i ask it to. i have to not only quit Kontakt but also it's memory server.....
anyway, this lil bug is one i'd love to get sorted out.

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
hrw

Post by hrw »

Is it better to switch off the memory servers in Kontakt and Spectrasonics if they're being used in VE Pro which already accesses all your RAM?

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

bdr wrote:I have had the same issue, mainly on one particular project. Really annoying, I ended up saving each of my instances of K4 as a multi so at least I could get it back without to much hassle. In my case it was always an instance of K4 with Session String Pro loaded up. I don't know why and don't expect to find out.
My situation as well. I'm really liking Session String Pro but some of those presets are huge and Kontakt dislikes auditioning different ones. Can also confirm that Omnisphere seems to hit a wall when auditioning presets as well, especially when Kontakt/Session Strings is also active.

Usually Session Strings/Kontakt and Omnisphere will behave on a session if I don't switch patches, but I have experienced some stuck note crashes in Kontakt on occasion.

Annoying, yes, because I haven't had crashing issues in quite some time. It's not as much fun or productive to have to tiptoe through a session.

Perhaps 64 bit DP will come to the rescue.

Tobor
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
nyplugin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by nyplugin »

wow guys, I have the same problem, so annoying! Crashing all the times I open a certain project. It works if I run the project hitting Shift so it does not load au. Then I deactivate the instrument tracks and load the au. But Kontakt still damnly blank!!
Is it possible that there's no solution? Maybe repair permission? Again, how do you give Kontakt more memory?
And I forgot to mention that you cannot always save multis on some libraries!
MacOS 15 Sonoma - DP 11 - Mac Mini 2018 i7 2.3GHz - 64GB RAM
nyplugin

Post by nyplugin »

any new guys on how to fix this problem?
dix

Post by dix »

No, but I've noticed Mach5 3 does it too. Does M5 3 use a sample server? …i can't remember offhand.
zed

Post by zed »

dix wrote:The work-around, when this happens, is to open the auto-saved version of the sequence and save the Multis (of which ever dumped it's patches) and then open them in the instances in the current version.
This may be a work-around that works in DP 7.24, or in other versions most of the time. However, in earlier versions of DP7, the only time I experienced this annoyance of instruments not being loaded into the VI was when I tried to launch an Auto-Saved version of a file that crashed. Auto-Save is not always a complete copy of the the project (or at least that was a bug of 7.1x).

I am actually still in DP 7.12, so I have never encountered this problem with regular project open and closing. Sounds aggravating to be sure. Fortunately DP8 is right around the corner.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

Does it happen with just Kontact, without Omnisphere or MACH 5? I have a ton of K-4 libraries, but just Session Strings, not Pro. Was waiting on K-8 or not.

Nothing to do with Session Strings Pro maxing out K's memory server?

Any less frequent on K-4.1 than 5? Anyone.
nyplugin

Post by nyplugin »

I don't know about K4, I use K5 and I have this problem of crashing with only one project so far. I also noticed that sometime the crash report of that project point the EZ drummer library...I have no idea why!
I hope DP8 and Kontakt 6 will come out pretty soon.