Gift ideas for a drummer?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Gift ideas for a drummer?

Post by Frodo »

Q: What's the difference between a viola and lightning?

A: Neither are known for striking twice in the same place.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Q: What's the similarity between the Beatles and the viola section of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

A: Neither has played together since 1970.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Q: What's the difference between a viola and a trampoline?

A: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

A pianist, a violist, and a drummer walk into a bar and the bartender says: What is this? Some kind of a joke?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

A guy calls up a conductor and says, "I'd like to speak to your viola player." The conductor says, "Our viola player is dead." The guy hangs up.

Five minutes later, the conductor's phone rings again. "I'd like to speak to your viola player." The conductor again replies, "Our viola player is dead." The caller again hangs up.

Five minutes later, he calls back again. "I'd like to speak to your viola player". The conductor answers, "I told you, our viola player is dead. Why do you keep calling?".

"I like to hear it!"
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Q: What do you call 120 violists at the bottom of the ocean?

A: A pretty good start.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Back to the original topic:

Drummers break sticks like keyboardists break wind, so you can never go wrong by buying sticks for a drummer -- just be sure to know what they use (make, weight, type, wood, etc.).

In other words, if you DON'T know, it might end up an unappreciated gift. But if you can somehow find out, then this might be the best gift for a starving young musician, as they add up in cost rather quickly.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You laugh, but this will also be something that is very important when setting precise tempos, especially if you wNt to work in film, dance, or Cirque!

http://www.harpsetc.com/xcart/product.p ... t=4&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is what is so funny, I know drummers that cannot stay on time. I have recorded people who play guitar or piano who are used to playing alone, they often have a hard time playing to a click track or even a drum track.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Perfect pitch is tossing an accordion into a dumpster and having it land on bagpipes.

Year’s back I had a neighbor who thought he was a drummer, as he owned a drum set. He would get drunk and stoned and late at night start playing really bad. I am not a drummer but I was better, I can at least hold a beat and stay in time. NOT THIS GUY! Rather than kill him I got him to buy a practice set and had a pro drummer friend show him a few things. After much encouragement to learn to play for real he finally went to the collage and after some time became a good drummer.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Teeshirts are always good.
Last edited by twistedtom on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Frodo wrote:
davedempsey wrote:
That's not long - had better find a single female drummer then.
Yay, Zildjian!!

There was a drum set in that photo?

Dave here a a few good links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mhpeyV ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLe1IhzF ... re=related
91 years old a bit old for me but.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYZkFOZo ... re=related
Meytal Cohen, got to check her out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKFJbSzh ... re=related
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

twistedtom wrote:There was a drum set in that photo?
Yeah, and if you look really hard, (Take your time,now. This could take a while.) there's a guitar amp in there somewhere, too.

Back to the original question. Hard to find, but makes a great gift for a drummer - there are both socket wrenches in the size of a drum key and drum keys that go into an electric drill. These are great for fast head removal. If your drummer already has one of these they're always getting misplaced. A spare would make a perfect gift.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-pe ... B&ZYXSEM=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CGcQ8wIwAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-pe ... D=26033137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

A socket wrench? Oh, I'd really love one of those as a gift. And a hammer - to show my appreciation.

j/k
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Phil O wrote:
twistedtom wrote:There was a drum set in that photo?
Yeah, and if you look really hard, (Take your time,now. This could take a while.) there's a guitar amp in there somewhere, too.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What hump?
MIDI Life Crisis

Both.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS