Logic More "Open" Sounding than DP?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
markwayne
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by markwayne »

My understanding is that 32 bit float math has the advantage of being very forgiving of small errors, poor coding and digital overs. Summing numbers and run out of headroom? Just move the decimal. This is, I imagine, why it's so popular with so many DAWs.

I believe that the TDM mix bus, however, is 48 bit fixed. They also, so I have been told by many PT - crazed people, use some magical dither algorithm. I don't know. I've heard some great stuff on TDM rigs, but then I've also heard great stuff on my humble MOTU rig. Logic is the only Mac-based DAW that I have no experience with.

For what it's worth, I heard big differences when I ported some audio from DP over to Tracktion a while back. After going back and pulling all plugins and then calibrating levels I realized that Tracktion uses a very different pan law and also plays fast and loose with the term dB. It was ever so slightly louder than DP given the same settings. (Pan law primarily effects mono tracks as it determines how much attenuation a signal receives as you approach center.) Mackie seem to use the extra bits in their mix bus to pump everything up just a bit. Nothing against T2. It is a great sounding bus.

interesting stuff,
Wayne
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.
Rush909
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Rush909 »

without actually taking a mix pulling it up on both platforms and EQing it with the exact same plugins (available to both DAWs..) and setting exact levels, and pans etc... and comparing the overall sound of both mixes, there are too many variables... and there is no way either company is going to admit to any deficiency in their products :)... Great mixes have been done on both platforms, it just might take some more work to compensate for each DAW's idiosyncrasies...

r.
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Rush909 wrote:Great mixes have been done on both platforms, it just might take some more work to compensate for each DAW's idiosyncrasies...
..and That's really the point isn't it?
I suppose discussing the theory can be interesting, but with preperation
(and decent gear) a solid mix should be just as achievable in DP as in
Nuendo/Protools/Logic..whatever.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
beubbo

Post by beubbo »

markwayne wrote :
For what it's worth, I heard big differences when I ported some audio from DP over to Tracktion a while back. After going back and pulling all plugins and then calibrating levels I realized that Tracktion uses a very different pan law and also plays fast and loose with the term dB. It was ever so slightly louder than DP given the same settings. (Pan law primarily effects mono tracks as it determines how much attenuation a signal receives as you approach center.) Mackie seem to use the extra bits in their mix bus to pump everything up just a bit. Nothing against T2. It is a great sounding bus.
Hi Wayne,

What do you mean by "fast and loose with the term dB" ? (sorry, english isn't my first language...)

Next, I have seen that Tracktion2 has a 64 bit mix bus and is supposed to achieve *superb sound quality* as they say... ;)

Could it be another reason it sounds slightly louder than DP ?

also, could you or anyone else compare a little bit more deeply T2's 64 bit mix bus quality sound against DP's one AND, if possible, against an OTB mix made with a summing box from companies like Dangerous, SPL, Manley... ?

Will be greatly appreciated to hear some feedbacks about this interesting option

Thanks a lot in advance !