Traveler Mk3 only 16bit in windows 7????

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
nopattern
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Traveler Mk3 only 16bit in windows 7????

Post by nopattern »

I'm using a traveler mk3 on windows 7 which works fine i thought but in the windows sound properties I only have the option for 16/44 and 16/48 for the traveler, while my on board audio goes up to 24/192.

Does this mean i am only getting 16 bit recording when using asio in cubase or ableton? Or is this only for windows audio?

Another annoying thing is that when i set my sample rate to 48khz, windows is constantly trying to force it back to 44.1 and i have to constantly reopen the audio console to reset the sample rate.

with that said, operation in ableton and cubase seems to work well but I need to ensure that I am monitoring and recording in full resolution.

There was one day when i actually got the windows properties to recognize the traveler showing 24/48 but that went away quickly and i have no idea how i was able to make that appear there.
1nput0utput
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Traveler Mk3 only 16bit in windows 7????

Post by 1nput0utput »

That only pertains to the Windows system audio. DAW programs like Live or Cubase can control the bit depth independently.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
j_e_f

Post by j_e_f »

It appears that the MOTU 64-bit Windows drivers do limit you to 16-bit operation using the Windows audio API, and even worse, the new WASAPI (which is the future low-latency replacement for ASIO). I have yet to investigate direct kernel streaming (KS), and therefore ASIO (which uses KS). But note that Microsoft has deprecated KS, and therefore ASIO, so those could stop working at some OS update. WASAPI is an even lower latency scheme than ASIO. (And unlike ASIO, which is an incorrectly designed COM implementation, WASAPI is proper COM).

Actually, MOTU's current WASAPI implementation (aka "Wave RT"), besides not supporting 24-bit operation, is broken. It has a nasty bug related to AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_EVENTCALLBACK notifications. It just doesn't work. MOTU needs to fix this before we start seeing pro audio software supporting the new low-latency Win7 audio api.

I'm going to be investigating the situation with KS soon, using the latest 64-bit driver (Oct release). The latest doesn't fix the broken WASAPI, nor 16-bit limitation. The only bug it definitely fixes is that you no longer need to power up the MOTU before you boot up Windows.

Note that the MOTU DirectSound API does let you "open" the MOTU in "32-bit" mode. But it's a phony 32-bit. The driver does 16-bit I/O, and then upconverts it to 32-bit. It's still 16-bit resolution. Of course, an app has no way of knowing that, unless it tries to use DirectSound's exclusive mode. Then the MOTU driver has no choice but to admit "Um, I can't do more than 16-bit resolution". I suspect ASIO is doing the same phony 32-bit.

MOTU needs to fix its 64-bit driver.
audiodb

Post by audiodb »

Will the driver ever be fixed? I'm having the same problem with being forced into 44.1 kHz, and I just downloaded the driver last week.
audiodb

Post by audiodb »

j_e_f wrote:It appears that the MOTU 64-bit Windows drivers do limit you to 16-bit operation using the Windows audio API, and even worse, the new WASAPI (which is the future low-latency replacement for ASIO). I have yet to investigate direct kernel streaming (KS), and therefore ASIO (which uses KS). But note that Microsoft has deprecated KS, and therefore ASIO, so those could stop working at some OS update. WASAPI is an even lower latency scheme than ASIO. (And unlike ASIO, which is an incorrectly designed COM implementation, WASAPI is proper COM).

Actually, MOTU's current WASAPI implementation (aka "Wave RT"), besides not supporting 24-bit operation, is broken. It has a nasty bug related to AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_EVENTCALLBACK notifications. It just doesn't work. MOTU needs to fix this before we start seeing pro audio software supporting the new low-latency Win7 audio api.

I'm going to be investigating the situation with KS soon, using the latest 64-bit driver (Oct release). The latest doesn't fix the broken WASAPI, nor 16-bit limitation. The only bug it definitely fixes is that you no longer need to power up the MOTU before you boot up Windows.

Note that the MOTU DirectSound API does let you "open" the MOTU in "32-bit" mode. But it's a phony 32-bit. The driver does 16-bit I/O, and then upconverts it to 32-bit. It's still 16-bit resolution. Of course, an app has no way of knowing that, unless it tries to use DirectSound's exclusive mode. Then the MOTU driver has no choice but to admit "Um, I can't do more than 16-bit resolution". I suspect ASIO is doing the same phony 32-bit.

MOTU needs to fix its 64-bit driver.
And apparently, they still haven't....after nine months.

I have an original Traveler that has served two XP laptops faithfully, and is now paired with a Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop. Did a test, recording the same source in "24-bit" to the laptop and to another recorder via SPDIF digital I/O. Sure enough, no matter what the MOTU Audio Console or DAW software are set to, the laptop can only record at 16-bit depth. The SPDIF version remains 24-bit.

I submitted this issue to tech support a week ago....no response. If this is the level of support I can expect from MOTU, then they'll get the same level of $upport from me as a (former) customer in the future.
audiodb

Post by audiodb »

Update:

I discovered that the above problem is specific to MOTU Mix1. The analog inputs can be recorded at 24-bit. Windows 7 audio dialogs allow you to select that option for MOTU Analog. I tested it to make sure, and simultaneous 24-bit recordings to the laptop and another device on the Traveler's SPDIF output were a bit-for-bit match.

Still, when using more than two mics, that forces me to choose between mixing after the fact, or downgrading to 16-bit.

Also, my apologies to MOTU technical support. I think something was wrong with my previous TechLink, and it didn't get into the system. Resubmitted it yesterday, and got an automatic response this time confirming it has been logged this time.
audiodb

Post by audiodb »

Haven't heard anything from MOTU in all this time. Can anyone advise me on:

- whether the Windows 7 64-bit drivers will be fixed?

- if the Windows 7 32-bit drivers have the same problem or not?

- how to get MOTU to respond to a TechLink?
j_e_f

Post by j_e_f »

The bug I mentioned is fixed in the latest driver. But in Audio Console, there is a box to check for "wave support for legacy software". Do not check this box. That's what forces everything to 16-bit.