It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:35 pm

Text Size

The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!

Re: The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

Postby EMRR » Sun May 01, 2011 8:01 am

Just moved to DP7 from DP6. Am I crazy to want a shortcut button added to the tuner plug, to toggle Input Monitoring Mode? That might actually make it useful in my implementation.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

DP 7.22.
PPC G5 Dual 2.0, 6GB RAM, OS X.4.11 and X.5.8 dual boot (only X.4.11 works correctly with DP!), MOTU 2408mk3 & 24I/O.
2.4GHz Intel MBP, 4GB RAM, OS X.6.8, used mainly for editing and pre-mixing when out of studio.
AlphaTrack controller.
Several tons of analog gear, DP generally used like a tape machine with editing capabilities, some processing plugs per track, exporting multitrack to analog world.
EMRR

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Postby kassonica » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:34 am

Well I'm going to bitch and moan about the fact that there is nothing to bitch and moan about in DP7.23......
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang

http://www.myspace.com/skippysbrain
kassonica

Postby Shooshie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:45 am

kassonica wrote:Well I'm going to bitch and moan about the fact that there is nothing to bitch and moan about in DP7.23......

What are they trying to do? Put this lucrative forum out of business? What are we going to do with all our extra time? USE these apps? Curse you, MOTU! You're trying to destroy us! :boohoo:

[with tongue in cheek, of course :koolaid: ]
Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks |l| DP 8.06 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro 2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Nomad Factory Vintage Plugins |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Postby Crashdown » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:20 am

Hi Guys,

I'm still a bit angry about DP. when it comes to editing audio... why does the GUI slow down so much when you zoom in at a Soundbite? It just lag's and lag's....

Does DP7.24 not use all the graphic resources available on my MacPro Quad 2.66 intel Xeon?

How can I make this better? Adding RAM? Buying a better Graphic Card?

Help... I'm tired of infinite editing hours... (My wife too, BTW...)

THanks,

Toni
Crashdown

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Postby Phil O » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:30 am

Crashdown wrote:... why does the GUI slow down so much when you zoom in at a Soundbite? It just lag's and lag's...
Perhaps it's something in your setup. I'm not seeing that problem, even with heavy track counts. If this is becoming a problem for you, it's time to do some detective work. I'd start with studio settings, take a look at memory and CPU usage with Activity Monitor, and then dig into your VI's and plugins. Perhaps others will chime in with suggestions as well.

Phil
DP 8.06, Mac Pro 2.66 quad (6 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 2.8 octo, (12 Gig RAM), OS 10.6.8/10.9.4, two MOTU 828s, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-1e, UAD-2, a whole truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Postby Crashdown » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Thank you Phil!

Maybe this has to do with the System:

OSX 10.6.8 SnowLeopard
2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
GFORCE 7300 256MB
SSL MADIXTREME 64
SSL ALPHA LINK

U Think it's time to move to a better CPU? Think More RAM will help? Anyone?

I'm really annoyed by those graphic lag's, with CPU Spikes on the performance meter...

Cheers,

Toni
Crashdown

Postby Phil O » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:28 am

I'm running the same machine as you with only 1 more Gig of RAM and the same OS. It runs DP just fine. Are you running a lot of VIs or is it mostly audio? I use very little in the VI department. Perhaps that's where you're getting the CPU hit. Buffer settings? Work Quanta, Prime Seconds, Max Work Percent?
My settings:
Work Quanta: 80
Prime Seconds: 3.00
Max Work Percent: 99%
Buffer 1024

Phil
DP 8.06, Mac Pro 2.66 quad (6 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 2.8 octo, (12 Gig RAM), OS 10.6.8/10.9.4, two MOTU 828s, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-1e, UAD-2, a whole truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Postby Crashdown » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:07 am

Hi Phil,

thanks again for your concern...

I'm not using any VI's...! On a 40 audio track with 12 subgroups, it just lags when I'm editing audio and zooming in on the sequence editor window...

settings:
Stereo Busses 32
prime sec: 2.50
Work Quanta: 100ms
Max work Percent: 95%

Automatic Plug Latency checked
Pre-fill Buffers checked 0.40 seconds

Pretty much the standart settings... gonna try out your settings and report back.

Cheers,

Toni
Crashdown

Postby toodamnhip » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:47 am

Shooshie wrote:In my experience, the bugs and crashes that are genuinely a MOTU problem will eventually show up on my system. Pretty much all such problems people have complained about in the past eventually happened while I was using whatever was the current version of DP at the time. Sometimes they happened only once or twice. Other times they happened so often I couldn't get anything done. But those things which were more circumstantial -- something caused by the combination of DP with certain plugins, MIDI drivers, audio drivers, permissions, OSX issues, or whatever -- usually did not happen to me. In some cases they did happen, I was able to locate and fix the conflict, and then they never happened again.

I can't say that DP7 has no bugs or doesn't inherently crash; I can only say that since installing Snow Leopard, with DP 6.02 and DP7, I've had DP open sometimes for days at a time, and almost always open during the day, with a variety of projects ranging from a single piano VI to well over a dozen VIs, often experimenting with new plugins and presets, and so far I have not had a single crash or quit. I realize that many people ARE having massive problems, but I think in the end we will find that this is a circumstantial problem. There have been some probable causes identified, but so far nothing that works for everyone. Apple has acknowledged some problems that it's working on, too. It'll just take time.

My sympathy goes out to those who are having problems but can't find the cause. I know it's frustrating.

Shooshie

You always seem to run so clean and well.

I have to wonder, how much audio do you run?
When I have crashes with VI's and such, I have large amounts of tracks with tons of automation, lots of sub bussing etc..

When you mentioned in your nice report of keeping your system running for days without a crash, it sounds like you're mainly running MIDI and VI.s

If so, I wonder how you'd run with the kind of intensive audio, routing, plug in automation etc...that I and possibly others use?
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon-24 Gig 1066 MHz DDR3 Mac
OS 10.6.8

DP 8.05, MTP AV, 828 mkII
LASS Strings 2.05, East West Pianos, East West Goliath, Spectrasonics Omnispere, Stylus RMX, Waves 9-Mercury+everything they make, Drum Core, NI Guitar Rig 2 and 3, Miroslav Philharmonik CE, Antares auto tune 7, entire Nomad Factory tube processor library, Peak Pro 6, Reason 3.05, Izotope Ozone 3-4-5, Trash 2 and Spectron, Ivory Piano, VI One, and Addictive Drums...Ocean way Drums, various other plugs
toodamnhip

Postby Alfred Zigoma » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Crashdown wrote: why does the GUI slow down so much when you zoom in at a Soundbite?

I have the same configuration of a computer and the same problems , seems to me it from - for capacities of a videocard, it is interesting to me why DP is not optimized under old computers . I leave
From position by hot keys and hiding those tracks above which I do not edit at present , I Think to make a upgrade of a videocard or to buy a new Mac Pro
MacPro Quad-Core 2.8 GHZ 16GB RAM OSX 10.8.4, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.9.3
DP 8, PT 10, SSL MADI AlphaLink MX, UA Apollo, SSL X-Desk, PMC Tb2, Neumann KH310, SSL Alpha VHD Pre, Kemper, Powercore x8, Powercore Express, UAD Octo, MC Mix(х2), MC Control, Soundtoys, McDSP, Waves, all Slate, VSL VE Pro, SE, Suite, NI Kontakt 5, Halion 5, MachFive 3, BPM, etc...
Alfred Zigoma

Postby BobK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 pm

If I were you, I'd get more RAM and see if that helps.
Bob

Mac Pro 8-core 2.26 GHz ('Nehalem'), 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.3 || DP 8.06 || Metric Halo ULN-8 and 2882-2d+DSP
BobK

Input Quantize Should Be a Preference

Postby KenNickels » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Why do I have to enable it every freaking time? I always forget. :evil:
Mac Pro 1,3/3Ghz, 8 core, 8GB Ram, OS 10.6.8, MOTU Audio Express, DP 8.01, Machfive|3, Eastwest Sample Libraries
KenNickels

Postby burn em » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:19 am

I want a MOTU control surface. Specifically one that can do 8 faders + transport control + encoders. Then banks of 8 faders + encoders. Digital scribal strips and metering would be rad.

Oh sh\t! Did I just say what I thought? nooo no. must have typed it. shi\t!

Forget what I typed / said

:koolaid:
Macbook Pro i7 17"-10.6.8 16Gb DP 7.24 ][ G5 dual 2 ghz pci, 4Gb-10.4.11 DP 7.12
Nomad Factory ][ Airwindows Gatelope (The best drums gate. buy it!) ][ Altiverb 6
MOTU 828 mkIII, 828 mkI x3, 8Pre ][ Apogee AD16, DA16 & Duet ][ MC Mix ][ API 3124+ ][ Toft ATB 24
burn em

Postby KarlSutton » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:10 am

This forum seems too good to have "B*tch**g" in the subject lien of any topic.
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
KarlSutton

Previous

Return to MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions & Off Topic