how do you rehearse ideas without erasing...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vegan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

how do you rehearse ideas without erasing...

Post by vegan »

Hi guys and gals...(I suppose there have to be some gals in this forum, right?)

So this is what I want to do and have no idea how: I writing a string quartet as part of a score, and I'm half way through the cue. The last few bars need to change however, so I want to rehearse this new part by playing it live (with my controller) while the video plays to see how my new idea works with the picture before erasing what's there, writing in the new parts and then checking to see if it works. Saves me time in case the new part isn't a keeper.

So this is a simple thing to do, I'm hoping it's also as simple to actually carry it out in DP.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.
vegan

Re: how do you rehearse ideas without erasing...

Post by vegan »

Btw, I know you can create a separate MIDI track, keep it empty, and use that track for auditioning during the composition process, and just mute the other tracks meanwhile... And that's what I currently do, but I was wondering if there's something like an input-monitoring button (like the one audio tracks have) for MIDI tracks that will play what's coming in and not what's already in the track.

Thx
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

You can also use Takes. You can quickly navigate them with shortcuts too.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

+1 on takes

If you mute a record-enabled track, it won't be played by the transport but I believe you'll still be able to play it "with your controller"...
Last edited by Dwetmaster on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

+2 - making new takes is certainly how I would do that.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
vegan

Post by vegan »

Thanks, guys