Mechanicals VS Performance royalties in Production Music

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
bolla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bolla »

I have a few tracks with various production music companies. Past contracts have either had a buyout on Mechanicals or an advance on Mechanicals.

I have no real idea what the potential earnings could be from mechanicals. I'm looking at setting up my own publishing and sub-publishing OS. I understand the distribution/breakup but can anyone give an average % compared to performance income. Obviously this will vary but some indication would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bolla.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Get to your licensing agent and get definitive info. Relying on such info from the Internet in connection with forming a legal entity is 'not advisable.' Not only could loose $$$ but you are getting into an area that requires some legal savvy. Not that you shouldn't do it, but get definitive info and do not rely on the Internet for information.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Re: Mechanicals VS Performance royalties in Production Music

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Get to your licensing agent and get definitive info. Relying on such info from the Internet in connection with forming a legal entity is 'not advisable.' Not only could loose $$$ but you are getting into an area that requires some legal savvy. Not that you shouldn't do it, but get definitive info and do not rely on the Internet for information.
Amen to that!

In addition, join one of the three PROs: ASCAP, BMI or SESAC if you are in the USA or one of their foreign affiliates if not (I know you are in Oz but others reading this might live in the States).

This is where your performance royalties come from - it is a separate right from mechanicals. All three have membership departments that can give you the straight scoop and I am certain the Australian one(s?) do also. Again, do not rely on the internet for your information other than their web sites - and then talk to someone anyway.

I know and am partial to ASCAP, being a long time member. The most I know about BMI and SESAC is that they exist.

Here is one Australian PRO. I do not know if there are others:

Australia

Australasian Performing Right Association Ltd.
6-12 Atchison Street St.
Leonards NSW, 2065
Australia
Tel:
011-61-2-9935-7900
Fax:
011-61-2-9935-799
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Nigel Keay

Post by Nigel Keay »

I was once a member of APRA, and when I was it wasn't possible to belong to any other PRO at the same time - it was for all territories. Then when I switched to SACEM they asked if I wanted selected or all territories; it was possible to belong to them and another PRO at the same time, so there are different modes of functioning. I was told that when royalties are passed from one PRO to another under reciprocal arrangements (ie. country to country) then 10% was deducted before passing on. In this case it might sensible to belong to the PRO where most of the income is coming from if the choice is possible. As already pointed out you'll want to get up-to-date info from the horse's mouth...
DP10.13, OSX 10.13.6, Melodyne Studio 4.1, Dorico Pro 3.5, Sibelius 7.1.3, MOTU Mosaic 1.5, MOTU Traveler mk1.
bolla

Post by bolla »

Thanks for your replies.
I'm an APRA member. They have always been helpful.
Re:Production Music
In the past I have had mechanicals paid as a buyout or as a re-coupable advance. This is no longer the norm. In fact no-one seems to be offering any mechanicals.
I'm looking at setting up my own publishing (with good legal advice) and then hoping to sub-publish with various publishers in different territories OS.
This will hopefully produce some income from mech's hence the original question.
Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
magi111
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by magi111 »

I love this site too......It is really great post and thanks for sharing with us.. and it is good creatively done it..

Internet Connection Setup Melbourne