DP 4.6 Scrubbing MIDI problem

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
npatton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 4.6 Scrubbing MIDI problem

Post by npatton »

I've noticed several times now a problem when I try to scrub MIDI using the Fast Forward button (+). The wiper pushes ahead, but the MIDI data doesn't play any faster. Upon releasing the FF button the data starts playing back in BOTH locations simultaneously. Stopping then becomes a mess as DP doesn't know which set of data to stop.

Anyone else with this problem? Is there a preference option I'm missing? I haven't contacted MOTU yet, but I thought I'd get a faster response here.

TIA!
Neil
(Using DP 4.6 on 1gHz G4 with hardware synths and no VI's; MOTU MIDI Express XT)
shuvel

thought it was just ME!

Post by shuvel »

check out my post of only a couple of days ago: here
what audio IO are you using?
npatton

Post by npatton »

Hey, thanks for the reply. Sorry I missed your post. Right now I'm actually using my Mac's internal audio (no budget for a real interface, yet). So far, FF'ing audio has worked fine for me. However, I've only tried it using a single audio track, so I'm not sure yet if your problem will duplicate on my system. My problem has been exlusively with MIDI, using hardware synths. The results sound similar, though.

However, I don't get garbage notes. I actually hear data from two separate points in the sequence, as if I have two wipers playing simultaneously. Stopping the sequence then only stops one of the "wipers". Takes a while for everything to sort out when I do it. Seems to be in the software, not in my interface (MOTU MIDI Express XT).

I dunno if this helps. I'll let you know if I can isolate the problem some more.

Thanks again,
Neil
npatton

Post by npatton »

OK, I've done more checking, Shuvel, and yes, my problem is the same as yours. When I go to MIDI only, the problem disappears. I also figured out that when I stop playback, note-off messages are not sent to the former location of the wiper, while the new location stops fine. (I doubt that's helpful info, but I thought I'd include everything I've noticed.) Audio does fast-forward fine, though.

I'd love to hear if this is happening to anyone else, now that I know it's not just me. I'll pass it on to MOTU, but it might be a while before they get back to me.

thanks, Shuvel,
Neil
shuvel

Post by shuvel »

Actually your description suits my problem quite well. We are definitely experiencing the same bug. I have tried 2 audio IO's and same thing. Does this happen with a MOTU firewire IO? I wonder...
npatton

Post by npatton »

Motu just replied to me today regarding this issue. They weren't able to duplicate the problem, but asked me to try a couple things. What follows is my reply to them:

Hi, Josh,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, this seems to be happening on all projects. I've opened an old project (from DP 2.72), and created two new projects, one on an internal drive, one on a firewire drive. Results are the same for all. I'm not sure this is useful info, but when I release the FF key (+), the simultaneous playback starts. The earlier wiper location stops at the point I released the key, but without sending a note-off message.

I tried this with a demo of Absynth, and FF performed fine with that MIDI data (with an occasional note-off mishap, but this may be their problem, not ours). So it seems limited to hardware synths. Could it have anything to do with my MIDI Express XT?

I hope this helps. Again, this goes away when I switch from MAS to MIDI only. Not sure if that means anything.

Thanks for your time, Josh. I appreciate it!
Yours,
N
npatton

Post by npatton »

I just received this from MOTU:

"Thanks for the feedback. I am able to reproduce this behavior under MAS, with hardware MIDI devices; this has been passed on for our developers to look at.

Josh Hetrick
MOTU Tech"

I was pleased to see how Josh took the time to try this out and found the same problem. Too bad we'll have to wait and see if a bug-fix comes down the road. Oh, well. There's worse problems than my FF button acting quirky...

N :?
shuvel

finally!

Post by shuvel »

Well your excellent descriptions hopefully have paid off. I have tried this on 4 different types of G4's...I can't NOT reproduce this problem! Is there no-one using hardware synths anymore?
npatton

Post by npatton »

That's what I'm wondering. You're the only person to reply to my post. My Mac isn't really fast enough to handle VI's, so I stick with the "old stuff" for now. I only recently moved from 2.72 to 4.6, so I only found the problem a little while ago.

Good luck!
N