no movie window in song mode?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
taylor12k
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

no movie window in song mode?

Post by taylor12k »

i'm trying to build a SONG via sequence chunks... however, as soon as i play enable my song, the movie window with the quicktime movie goes away and i can't bring it back.

as soon as i play enable one of the chunks, the movie window comes back.

sort of hard to lay out a score if you can't see the movie! there's GOT to be a way to do this.. no???

going to dig through the manual.. but if anyone has a quicker reply....

thanks!

edit: no, nothing seemingly in the manual about it. also, it's been so long since i've used chunks and song mode... i don't see a playback wiper in song mode... and no easy way to access different parts of the song without actually typing in new timing coordinates in the counter.. ie: you can't just click the song timeline to jump to that spot.. is this true?
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: no movie window in song mode?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Song mode? We don't need no stinkin' song mode!

Seriously, if you are working to picture, song mode is NOT the way to go. You are much better off bouncing you songs and throwing them in a master sequence (or 'chunk' if you prefer).

MOTU really needs to change that one little word. Chunks? Really? Who thought that one up?

The word is "sequence."
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

Not all chunks have sequences. Actually, a "song" built in the song window can be a chunk, a v-rack can be a chunk, etc. As far as the original poster, despite the song window's potential, they haven't touched it in years and it lacks a few critical elements. Also, the video window came after the song view and they just don't seem to work together.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
MIDI Life Crisis

You can build a SONG chunk where the components don't have a sequence as part of the chunk? Tell me more!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Saintmatthew wrote:Not all chunks have sequences. Actually, a "song" built in the song window can be a chunk, a v-rack can be a chunk, etc.
So let's call them V-Racks, Songs, and Sequences. Calling them all chunks is just goofy. The description of V-Racks in the manual, trying to liken them to sequences, is almost Pythonesque.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

The only use for a VRACK in a chunk by itself (which, BTW, is still formerly a sequence) would be to access the sounds in another chuck (which must be a sequence) or in another app via IAC.

To restate the obvious: you cannot work in DP without having a sequence active. A sequence is a chunk. Period.

I have been a long time advocate of changing the terminology and even typing it reminds me of having drank too much the night before. But it is what it is and it ain't going nowhere.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS