Extend a sustained audio note?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
blackdot
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by blackdot »

Greetings all, I am a long-time follower of these forums and have used Digital Performer since it was....just Performer. :-) Currently using 7.24, which by the way, has been running extremely well.

Does anyone know how to easily extend an audio note?

Background: it must have been almost 20 years ago, I was playing saxophone in a recording session for a TV ad. Just solo sax, no other instruments for the ad. After a take or two, the engineer said "ok, we've got it!". I had put my horn away, and then he realized that he wanted my last note to sustain just a little longer. He was using some DAW, I don't know if it was a Sadie or Pro Tools or what. But I watched as he quickly just grabbed the end of the waveform and extended the end of the note to sync with the video the way he wanted. It sounded flawless with minimal tweaking.

I have wondered lately if this can easily be done in DP? Maybe it's right in front of my nose but I don't know what it is called. So if anyone can point me in the right direction I would sure appreciate it. Like--what is it called, what page in the manual, etc. Yes, I am a registered user :-). Sometimes MOTU's terms for features seem not-so-intuitive for me.

Many thanks!
--Andy.
kwiz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Extend a sustained audio note?

Post by kwiz »

Wow, and you saw that function about 20 years ago?
Incredible. :lol: :?
Did you try it on 7.24?
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Melodyne software will do it:

http://www.celemony.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and yes, 20 years ago was 1991, no DAW had pitch or time-stretching
at that point. Must have been later.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll assume the best intentions kwiz ;-).

David, it may have been as late as '93, but I'm sure not later. This was at a pretty big studio, and I'm sure of what I saw and heard.

Yeah, I can spend some more time and try to find out on my own if DP can do this. I was just wondering if anyone had a quick answer.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Found it. Page 343. Graphic time stretching of audio. Can't believe I haven't used this before...
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

blackdot wrote:Thanks for the quick replies, I'll assume the best intentions kwiz ;-).

David, it may have been as late as '93, but I'm sure not later. This was at a pretty big studio, and I'm sure of what I saw and heard.

Yeah, I can spend some more time and try to find out on my own if DP can do this. I was just wondering if anyone had a quick answer.
Just pulling your chain because like David pointed out, that feature wasn't available on any DAW in '91. I'm surprised that you didn't try it just for kicks in DP. I believe that features been available since version 4.

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.

F. Douglas
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

That's cool kwiz...generally I don't think in terms of needing to stretch audio with the kinds of projects I do. Actually I think I have used those features in Logic but for some reason it never came up in DP. And then I didn't know what DP called it...mental block on my part, I guess. At any rate, I just found it and it worked great for what I needed to do.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

First I remember seeing this feature in DP was about 1996, if I remember correctly. It may have been a year or two later.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Shooshie wrote:First I remember seeing this feature in DP was about 1996, if I remember correctly. It may have been a year or two later.

Shooshie
Hmmm, I didn't start using DP until 2000 (2.7) but I think you're right. I might be confusing it with audio pitch correction feature.

@Blackdot: Cool!

F. Douglas