2 2408 MK3's with external word clock problem.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
gongbass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2 2408 MK3's with external word clock problem.

Post by gongbass »

I'm using two separate 2408 MK3's both inputted into the same PCI 424 card. I have an external word clock that I'm running separate BNC cables from, into each unit's "word clock in".

The issue I'm having is in PCI-Audio set up. I have to select '2408 MK3 -1 Word Clock In' or '2408 MK3 -2 Word CLock In' for both. When I configure the 1st I select word clock in from 1, then I switch to configure the 2nd and switch to the word clock in for 2. When I go back to 2408 mk3 1 its word clock in defaulted to Word CLock In 2. Point being it only allows me to pick 1 clock.

Since each unit is getting its own word clock in (albeit from the same masterclock) shouldn't I be able to set each unit to its own word clock in??
Mac Pro 3.2, 8 Core. Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0. (2) MOTU 2408 MK3's (BLA Mods) & 8 Pre. Motu Micro lite for MIDI (interface for Mac Pro) MOTU Ultralite MK3, Dp 7.2, Reason 4, Ethno 2, MX4, Symphonic Instrument, Mach 5 V2, Electric Keys, Ivory II Grand, Arturia CS-80V, Arturia Prophet V.2, PSP Vintage Warmer, Softube Trident A-Range EQ, IK Classik Reverb, Focusrite Liquid Mix, Peak LE

Affordable "E" Drum session work: gongbass@msn.com
HCMarkus

Re: 2 2408 MK3's with external word clock problem.

Post by HCMarkus »

If I recall correctly, clocking between 2408's connected to the PCI card is handled by the PCI card. As such, you pick only one unit to sync to external clock and the timing info is passed to the PCI card over the Audiowire cable and distributed to other attached 2408's.

So, by selecting external clock, you are essentially slaving the PCI card to that clock.
gongbass

Post by gongbass »

Thank you very much sir! You made my night considerably easier and you did what the generous folks at MOTU tech help could not. So HCMarkus, sending some good karma your way. Cheers!
Mac Pro 3.2, 8 Core. Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0. (2) MOTU 2408 MK3's (BLA Mods) & 8 Pre. Motu Micro lite for MIDI (interface for Mac Pro) MOTU Ultralite MK3, Dp 7.2, Reason 4, Ethno 2, MX4, Symphonic Instrument, Mach 5 V2, Electric Keys, Ivory II Grand, Arturia CS-80V, Arturia Prophet V.2, PSP Vintage Warmer, Softube Trident A-Range EQ, IK Classik Reverb, Focusrite Liquid Mix, Peak LE

Affordable "E" Drum session work: gongbass@msn.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

:D