Anyone uses Notion 3 scoring software ?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Gone To Lunch
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Gone To Lunch »

I'm interested in some user opinions before I spend. I know Sibelius may be a better bet, but Notion 3 is alot cheaper...
http://gonetolunchmusic.com/
Current sex toys : DP 9.52, Mac Pro 5,1, 3.46GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM, OS X 10.13.6, Motu 828 Mk3 Firewire. Sounds by VSL, Mach Five 3, Addictive Drums 2, Native Instruments, Orange Tree, Bolder Sounds. Plug-ins by PSP, 2CAudio, Waves & Lexicon. Scores by Sibelius Ultimate 2019.5.
Larry Mal

Re: Anyone uses Notion 3 scoring software ?

Post by Larry Mal »

I'm only digging through Sibelius 7 now, and am not a professional, so take what I say with that in mind.

But, remember that Sibelius 7 is now 64 bit, and also includes a lot of useable new sounds. Do either of these things matter to you? Or do you only need a quick scratchpad before you export to DP?
Mac Pro 2X2.8 GHz 8 Core, Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB's of RAM. Logic Pro 8. Digital Performer 5.13. Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4. Ableton Live 5. Focusrite Sapphire Pro 10 I/O interface.
FMiguelez

Re: Anyone uses Notion 3 scoring software ?

Post by FMiguelez »

There are at least a few members here who use Notion (I think MHSchmieder does).

I know some acquaintances who use it. But they don't do hard-core scoring stuff, so I don't know how well it would stand against the other 2 giants (Finale and Sibelius). If you are going to be doing lots of orchestral work, then I'd definitely suggest Finale. There isn't much it can't do...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman