Question about input monitoring with a Firewire 410

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
RenaissanceMan
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Question about input monitoring with a Firewire 410

Post by RenaissanceMan »

Hello-

Just got DP7 up and running in OSX Lion. I'm using an M-Audio Firewire 410 as an audio interface. The 410 has a program called "M-Audio Firewire" that allows you to adjust monitor level for each input for the 410, through direct hardware monitoring. With DP7, it appears as if I am not able to control input monitoring of the 410 from DP, itself... Instead, it seems as if I can only control it from the M-Audio program. Experimenting with the input monitor buttons has no effect in DP, regardless of how I have the 410 program set up. Does anyone know if there is a way I can use DP7 to control it, instead? I guess I'm a little confused because I am able to to control input monitoring from some other music programs I have. Maybe I'm missing something obvious? Thanks in advance-
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Question about input monitoring with a Firewire 410

Post by Dan Worley »

No, DP cannot control it.

Because you're not using a MOTU interface with CueMix, you don't have the choice of Direct Hardware Playthrough in DP. The only setting available is Monitor Record Enabled Tracks Through Effects. This is found in Setup > Configure Audio System > Input Monitor Mode. You'll notice you can't change this.

When recording sources coming through your interface and using its direct hardware monitoring, turn off Audio Patch Thru in DP (Studio > Audio Patch Thru). That way you don't have to worry about the Input Monitor, buffer settings or whether the Play button is enabled for the track or not. What you'll hear is from your direct hardware monitoring app, assuming you have it routed to the correct outputs for monitoring.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
RenaissanceMan
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by RenaissanceMan »

Thanks for the reply, Dan! I appreciate the info. I guess now I have an excuse to go out and get a MOTU interface, lol.
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Dan Worley »

RenaissanceMan wrote:Thanks for the reply, Dan! I appreciate the info. I guess now I have an excuse to go out and get a MOTU interface, lol.
Don't spend money just because of something I said. :lol:

I've never used CueMix so I don't know any advantages it may have. I think you still need to open a separate console for it, just like you do with your M-Audio device.

I use RME's TotalMix. When tracking I have its console opened up on the right monitor and the Tracks Overview or Sequence Editor opened on the left. That works for me. If you only have one monitor you can use Spaces.

I try not to use the Mac's keyboard for controlling DP's transport when doing this. I use an iPad or a little Akai keyboard for the transport. The reason being is I always forget which app is active and I hit the spacebar or the keypad and and nothing happens because TotalMix is the active app. It drives me nuts that I don't remember to switch back to DP first, but it gets me every time so a transport controller is necessary for me. :banghead:

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13