On-line copyright services. Any good?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

On-line copyright services. Any good?

Post by Phil O »

A client of mine asked me to look into the best way to copyright his songs. Usually my clients have that all taken care of by the time they get to me, so I'm not familiar with the procedure. There seems to be a plethora (I just wanted to use that word) of on-line copyright services for just this sort of thing. Anyone here using these services? Advantages, disadvantages vs. going directly to the .gov website? Things we should know? Thanks.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: On-line copyright services. Any good?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

http://www.copyright.gov/eco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only © service you'll ever need.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks MLC. I kinda figured you'd know the best way to go.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Yep - the .gov site is incredibly easy to use. Before I knew that the government was allowing uploads, I was looking into online services to handle copyrights. It was at least triple the cost of just using the gov site.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3