What color is your studio?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Radiogal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What color is your studio?

Post by Radiogal »

SixStringGeek wrote:Mine is in a white room (rented office - came that way) and I'm finding it kinda sterile.

I want to paint.

Red seems popular - photos of Brad and radiogal's rooms were done in satanic red. Is there a color that puts you in a sonically creative mood? Posted pics of your room extra appreciated.
Lol, thanx for mentioning me. 8)
Actually many do find "satanic red" a very creative and lively colour. I did some research on this before I decided to go for the red theme.

My studio is not red on every wall in all studios/controlroom/relaxroom etc. It´s only about 30-40 % of the studio complex area.
The other walls are white or shades between white/creme/red.

My clients define my studio as cosy with great atmosphere.
I do believe the red tone does make that impact.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Call me naive, RG, but I reckon the "atmospheric" conditions come from... you! :oops: :D

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
eitonin

Post by eitonin »

my control room is deep blue, live room is various warm orange and earthy yellow tones, and the edges between them... green :) some gentle warm colored spot lighting along the walls too. i think i said warm twice in this post, and so i may as well add cozy ;)
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

stephentayler wrote:My room is white. I also recently discovered these brilliant Philips Living Colors lights, so I can choose the colour and brightness, or have a them cycle through all the colours (all controlled with a remote).

So I guess for me lighting is actually more important than the colour of the room.... I like being able to change the tone and temperature of my work space at will.
Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I finally came up with a solution others might like too. Thanks to the tip on the living colors lights, I found some multi-colored LED bulbs that respond to remove control on Amazon and ordered 9 of them along with some fairly ugly light fixtures on clearance that I stripped for sockets on swivels (sockets with swivels - if you buy them as parts - are expensive). I then got a call from the supplier who said they were out of the ones I ordered but they had some very similar ones that ALSO CHANGE COLOR IN RESPONSE TO SOUND and wanted to know if I would find those an acceptable replacement if they sent them for the same price even though they normally cost more.

Heck yeah!

So I got em, some aluminum U-track from the Home Depot, and a bit of wire and - well see for yourself (full sized image).

Cool, huh. Add in the 8" mirror ball my GF got me for my birthday and the room is totally mood configurable. :dance:

Now I just need to find bass traps that look like Tiki Gods.... :mrgreen:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yellow with white acoustic ceiling, beech and oak shelves and a few cool posters - nothing spectacular.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

- ceiling white
- 2 walls white
- the opposite walls chicken-yellow
- floor mahogany
And... submarine immersion no more: Daylight from a glass door (with bars), and a translucent window (glass pavement). Would not fit without... a Lava lamp!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Mine is painted two shades of the same pale, sort of pistachio green, one lighter and one darker, used to create more contrast between corners and give more shape to a couple of asymmetrical walls. The goal was a cool, serene environment... I work with advertising and marketing people most of the time, and their lives are ruled by hyper-stress, so I like to create a very chill atmosphere in here. Light is kind of low, so the pics are grainy and the green turns a little blue in the camera, especially in that first shot... while you can't see a lot of it, the second pic's color seems truer.

Okay, that last one is because we just got the new mugs in (I redid everything this year... logo, stationary, web site, promo stuff), and they're frackin' awesome.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
resolectric
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by resolectric »

White ceilings, light wood walls, dark red floor.
No windows but great landscape, being in one of the nicest small towns in Portugal. River to the south, mountain to the north and east, ocean to the west. Just have to open the doors ;)

(that would also be a fun thread: what's the view from your studio's windows/doors?)

Studio:

Control Room:
(if you right-click "view image" on this one, there's more to the right)
Paulo Miranda - AMPstudio
Silence is the new loud.
©
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Nice photos.

Me: Off white walls and ceiling, dark green carpeting. (actually called "Star Trek" because of the tiny pattern throughout.)

2 windows with light wood blinds and a fireplace which doesn't see much action in Houston.

Since going almost entirely virtual, I have lots more free floor space. Only 2 small racks to my right (mainly what's left of the MIDI modules) and one small but taller one to my left which contains mic pres primarily.

I could probably pretty easily eliminate one of the smaller racks. Maybe during the holidays...

That's the primary work area. Upstairs is the grand and also an acoustically treated room for some isolation.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I built my studio 28 years ago shortly after my first daughter was born. She has a chronic illness and we decided that one of us would have to work at home. So, I moved my business into the basement and built a studio there. My tracking room and control room are in the basement, and I mix in another room on the second floor. Initially I used paint from various half-used cans that were kicking around the house. Let's call it a "blend."

Now, my tracking room is sort of a pale blue/green with off-white ceiling. The control room has beige walls and the same off-white ceiling. The woodwork and doors are brick red. The walls and ceiling colors have changed a couple of times, but the brick red has stayed the same. Two walls in the tracking room and one wall in the control room have small oriental rugs as wall hangings. My mixing area doubles as an office and is wallpapered. It's sort of tan and red tones with woodwork that matches the tans.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
M0raz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by M0raz »

My last home studio before the marriage split-up was BLACK walls, door and ceiling and a very dark carpet. With subdued lighting it felt like a huge open space. I do miss it. Now just a large room in my new place with a huge sliding door , a few trees, two sand hills and then the sea. Very peaceful but still miss my black room.
iMac 27", MOTU 828 mk3,DP 7, Omnisphere, Trillian, Superior 2 Drums, C3 & 251, Electric Keys, Symphonic Instruments, Oberheim Expander, Roland MKS80 & D550, Fender Strat, Godin xtSA.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

" let's say light yellow-orange, is part of the most dynamic and pleasant surrounding to me."

Mine too.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Purple walls, red floor, white trim, in a basement.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No phone, no pool, no pets,
I ain't got no cigarettes.

What was the question?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Bradena
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Bradena »

I was thinking of an orange base color on my next rug from Rugman dot com-perhaps an Afghan rug this time.