Outboard Reverb Latency

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
ripeart
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Outboard Reverb Latency

Post by ripeart »

Not being satisfied with any of the Waves reverb offerings, and not looking forward to spending countless hours demo'ing verb plugs/reading reviews I was very happy to fall into the opportunity to purchase a mint Lexicon PCM 91 for $400. (It took a lot of whittling the seller to get to that price.)

I was wondering how you folks use outboard effects when mixing. Currently I have the analog ins and outs connected to my 828.2 and via DP am sending a signal to it, then back and recording the verb on it's own track. As expected I do notice a bit of latency. I compared the original and verb signal waveform and the beat detection indicator and judged that the verb is about 4 ms late. I'm not sure if that's an accurate way to measure though, and I know that 4 ms is an almost insignificant amount of time. Thinking that, should I be worried about latency with this unit? I like to use a Linear Phase EQ often and that CPU muncher increases latency across the board more than most other plugs. Should I be on the lookout for latency issues using an outboard device? Is there a more efficient method of interconnection, such as the AES connector?

Thank you for your thoughts =) and I am LOVING this verb unit.
'11 MacBook Pro 10.6.8 i7, 8GB, DP 7.22 | Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Absynth, NI Komplete, Waves Mercury, Nugen, SoundToys
Dynaudio 6a, Avantone Mixcubes, Event 20/20, Focusrite ISA One, DBX 160x, DBX 386, DBX 1066, Mindprint, 828.2, Lexicon PCM-91, Oxygen 25, Yamaha P-85, Midisport 2x2
Neumann TLM-103, Rode NT1a, Fathead Ribbon, Fender, Gibson, Taylor acoustics, PRS & Schecter guits, Vox VT120+, GK-MB112, etc...
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Outboard Reverb Latency

Post by Phil O »

For a long time, I've used a simple impulse to measure outboard latency. Record an impulse, send it through the system and re-record it, then just compare to the original. If you zoom way in in the SE you can see the delay and easily measure it. I just measure it in samples set my nudge to the appropriate amount and nudge the soundbite ahead. Other folks here prefer the more elegant Latency Fixer:
http://www.expertsleepers.com/latencyfixer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If your Mac is properly set up, your should see no latency if you are recording the reverb to a separate track, then playing back that track with other recorded tracks as you mix.

Unless you are using the Lexicon to handle chorusing or EQ, 4ms additional predelay is easy to manage at the patch level (if it bothers you at all) as long as you return a purely "wet" signal to your mix.
ripeart

Post by ripeart »

Phil O wrote:Latency Fixer:
Phil
Hey neat, exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll give it a go, thanks!
HCMarkus wrote: If your Mac is properly set up, your should see no latency if you are recording the reverb to a separate track, then playing back that track with other recorded tracks as you mix.

Unless you are using the Lexicon to handle chorusing or EQ, 4ms additional predelay is easy to manage at the patch level (if it bothers you at all) as long as you return a purely "wet" signal to your mix.
Yes, I'm returning a 100% wet signal to the board. I'll tell ya, I don't even notice that there is any latency at all, it's only when I returned a dry signal back to a seperate track and examined the waveforms that I noticed they didn't line up. I 'nudged' the track 4 times (my nudge is set to ms) to get it lined up so that is where I got that figure.

Also to monitor this thing, I've created an buss for the Lexicon, then two aux tracks, one for the send with the buss as it's input, one for the return with the lex out as it's input. When I want to send it a signal, I use the Lex buss fx send. When I want to print it, I'll simply create a stereo track for just the verb. Is there a more efficient way of routing this signal rather than the two aux tracks I have made?

Probably a picture is better: Click on it for full size.

Thanks so much for your comments.
'11 MacBook Pro 10.6.8 i7, 8GB, DP 7.22 | Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Absynth, NI Komplete, Waves Mercury, Nugen, SoundToys
Dynaudio 6a, Avantone Mixcubes, Event 20/20, Focusrite ISA One, DBX 160x, DBX 386, DBX 1066, Mindprint, 828.2, Lexicon PCM-91, Oxygen 25, Yamaha P-85, Midisport 2x2
Neumann TLM-103, Rode NT1a, Fathead Ribbon, Fender, Gibson, Taylor acoustics, PRS & Schecter guits, Vox VT120+, GK-MB112, etc...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I just noticed you have an 828mkII. If you are mixing down real-time (which you have to do if you don't want to print your outboard reverb), why not return the Lexicon via CueMix using the "Mix" input to feed your mixdown destination track. With the 828mkII, you can set the Mix to include both the computer audio and the CueMix audio. This is how I get external MIDI modules' output into my mixes "live", along with my own (albeit less fully-featured) outboard Lexicon reverb.
ripeart

Post by ripeart »

AH, I had a sneaky suspicion that CueMix would be helpful here. I'll definitely look into that. Very cool, thank you! :idea:
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

In almost all cases one would use some amount of predelay with a reverb, and usually any latency would be a mere fraction of that quantity.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing