Some music examples of Spitfire Albion in action

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dcoscina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Some music examples of Spitfire Albion in action

Post by dcoscina »

Just bought this library (loooong wait time to DL- 18gb library) but it was worth it. Very warm sound using the tape method for samples. Low strings have that depth I don't hear on Symphobia or other libraries.

Used DP7.23 for recording.

http://www.box.net/shared/z7hldlfzjmtcj5vy9mep" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.box.net/shared/dodyrnvhvkj0ik3dqycj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac Pro 2.66 ghz w. 15 gb RAM, DP 7.24, Kurzweil PC3x, MOTU 2408Mk3, Symphobia 1&2, LASS, VSL VI/VE Pro,MOTU Mach5.3, SI & Ethno 1, Omnisphere, Trilian, CineBrass, Albion, tons more...
malditoyanki
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Some music examples of Spitfire Albion in action

Post by malditoyanki »

Using it now myself on a project. Question: are the brass long samples out of tune for you? I heat A LOT of chorusing on those things....just not right.
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
dcoscina

Post by dcoscina »

malditoyanki wrote:Using it now myself on a project. Question: are the brass long samples out of tune for you? I heat A LOT of chorusing on those things....just not right.
The high brass with trumpets long and legato are a little funky. Everything else sits nicely in the mix. I'm lucky to have bought CineBrass which totally kicks arse. The Native Spirit demo has CineBrass horns at the end because Spitfire doesn't give one the horns without those trumpets....and while I like their warm retro sound, the tonal quality of CineBrass trumpets executes all others. Totally awesome. (I demo'd a piece for a Hollywood conductor and he thought it was a real brass group!)
Mac Pro 2.66 ghz w. 15 gb RAM, DP 7.24, Kurzweil PC3x, MOTU 2408Mk3, Symphobia 1&2, LASS, VSL VI/VE Pro,MOTU Mach5.3, SI & Ethno 1, Omnisphere, Trilian, CineBrass, Albion, tons more...
malditoyanki
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by malditoyanki »

I just got Cinebrass yesterday to fill the gaps that Wallander can't fill...really enjoying it. LOVE the perc from Albion. Great depth and beef.
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dcoscina wrote:Just bought this library (loooong wait time to DL- 18gb library) but it was worth it. Very warm sound using the tape method for samples. Low strings have that depth I don't hear on Symphobia or other libraries.

Used DP7.23 for recording.

http://www.box.net/shared/z7hldlfzjmtcj5vy9mep" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.box.net/shared/dodyrnvhvkj0ik3dqycj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds very nice!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dcoscina

Post by dcoscina »

Thanks guys. This library is pretty awesome! Fits in nicely with my VSL, Project SAm and EWQLSO stuff.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Wow, those are impressively organic demos, with hardly any telltale signs of sampling!

For some reason, I thought the SPitfire stuff was private-only, to registered customers?

At any rate, the price is right, and it would be nice to FINALLY be able to add a high-quality British orchestra flavour to the arsenal, alongside the usual American and German/Austrian stuff.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:Wow, those are impressively organic demos, with hardly any telltale signs of sampling!

For some reason, I thought the SPitfire stuff was private-only, to registered customers?

At any rate, the price is right, and it would be nice to FINALLY be able to add a high-quality British orchestra flavour to the arsenal, alongside the usual American and German/Austrian stuff.
It's their "Bespoke" library which is private and very expensive. The Albion is their answer to those with lesser budgets and who have not been knighted by the Queen. But I totally agree about the sound. Very good!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Sounds good to me!

It'd be fun to post versions from all the developers from the same MIDI file, tweaked to match as much as possible, so we could hear the differences between all of them.

If you'd like to post a recording of that first tune with just the strings, then post the MIDI file, perhaps some of us could upload audio of other string VI's to compare for ourselves.

I realize that details between the libraries would be not exact as different VI's are programmed differently, but I think we are all intelligent enough to overcome that and discern the important details.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for clarifying on why I accidentally wrote that vendor off as a website too frustrating to visit (I don't like to know about or to even hear things which are not available for my purchase).

I also made a typo or thinko, as I meant that I thought only registered composers were eligible to buy their products. That is, people registered with some composers' guild or whatever.

I'm mostly working on smaller-scale chamber orchestration at the moment, but later in the fall I expect to return to some larger symphonic projects, and that will be a time to look into this library and/or some of the Cinesamples stuff (thanks foe the pointer as it's new stuff that I wasn't aware of yet and is still a growing collection), to complement VSL.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH