Moving multiple tracks into a Tracks Folder

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Moving multiple tracks into a Tracks Folder

Post by gavspen »

Can it be done?

Lets say you've got a "Vocals" folder, and lots of vocal tracks recorded outside of it, and now you want to move them all in. I cant figure it out. If you select a bunch of tracks, and then control click the "move" button, you get a bunch of options, but moving them to a specific folder aint one of them. Is there a way?

Also, it seems you cant drag and drop a track into a folder unless the folder is open, right? You cant just drop it on top and have it go in, it seems.

Thanks in advance
Gavin
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
bayswater

Re: Moving multiple tracks into a Tracks Folder

Post by bayswater »

gavspen wrote:Can it be done?

Lets say you've got a "Vocals" folder, and lots of vocal tracks recorded outside of it, and now you want to move them all in. I cant figure it out. If you select a bunch of tracks, and then control click the "move" button, you get a bunch of options, but moving them to a specific folder aint one of them. Is there a way?

Also, it seems you cant drag and drop a track into a folder unless the folder is open, right? You cant just drop it on top and have it go in, it seems.

Thanks in advance
Gavin
If you select the current track folder and the track you want to add to it, you can use "Project>Track Folders>New Track Folder From Selected Tracks" to create a new track folder that contains all of the old and new tracks. The original track folder will now be empty. I can't see any other way to operate on multiple tracks the way you are trying to do it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

bayswater wrote: If you select the current track folder and the track you want to add to it, you can use "Project>Track Folders>New Track Folder From Selected Tracks" to create a new track folder that contains all of the old and new tracks. The original track folder will now be empty. I can't see any other way to operate on multiple tracks the way you are trying to do it.
Just tried it. Actually, what happens is, it creates a new folder inside the old folder, containing all the tracks from the old folder and the newly selected tracks. That would eventually create lots of folders nested inside other folders.

Looks like there's no good way to do this, but thanks for the thought.

What about the second question. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Gavin
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

gavspen wrote:
bayswater wrote: If you select the current track folder and the track you want to add to it, you can use "Project>Track Folders>New Track Folder From Selected Tracks" to create a new track folder that contains all of the old and new tracks. The original track folder will now be empty. I can't see any other way to operate on multiple tracks the way you are trying to do it.
Just tried it. Actually, what happens is, it creates a new folder inside the old folder, containing all the tracks from the old folder and the newly selected tracks. That would eventually create lots of folders nested inside other folders.

Looks like there's no good way to do this, but thanks for the thought.

What about the second question. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Gavin
It didn't do that when I tried it. The new folder was created outside of any existing folders. There must be some conditions that determine which happens. E.g., looks like if you select the folder instead of the tracks in it, that happens. Not sure. Haven't played around with it enough yet. In any case, simply dragging the new folder up one row in the TO moves it out of the older folder.

On having the folder open, yes to drag the tracks in, looks like the folder has to be open to drag tracks into it. But if you use the menu commands to do it, that doesn't matter.

It's not as elegant as it could be, that's for sure, but still quite workable. Maybe they'll dress it up in V8.

I also noticed that according to the menus, you CAN move mulitple tracks around in the TO, but only by holding down the Control key when using the "up-down" buttons. Of course the problem is that most of us would have that assigned to Spaces, and it only seems to move to the top of a folder.
Tim

Post by Tim »

If there is a track in the folder, tracks below that folder can be moved next to that track.
Select the track in the folder, then Command-select the desired tracks below it, then hit Control-Option-Home (Move Tracks Together). If tracks wanted in the folder are not below it, select them and hit Control-End (Move To Bottom).
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Tim wrote:If there is a track in the folder, tracks below that folder can be moved next to that track.
Select the track in the folder, then Command-select the desired tracks below it, then hit Control-Option-Home (Move Tracks Together). If tracks wanted in the folder are not below it, select them and hit Control-End (Move To Bottom).
Thanks Tim that's just the ticket. You dont even have to open the folder and select a track. If you just select the folder and the desired tracks, and do the Control-Option-Home thing, the selected tracks are moved to the bottom of the folder.

Thanks man.
Gavin
Tim

Post by Tim »

The 'Move Tracks' options are also in the selected track's Right-Click menu now.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tim wrote:If there is a track in the folder, tracks below that folder can be moved next to that track.
"Move tracks together" works as described. But "Move to bottom" seems to do different things depending on whether tracks are selected in more than one folder, the positions of the tracks in the folders, and the relationship between the folders.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

This is a perfect example of why we need full Track Folder control in contextual menus. Create a temp folder around desired tracks. Move them where you want (in another folder even). Right click and remove temp folder, keeping tracks in place. Done.
Tim

Post by Tim »

bayswater wrote: "Move tracks together" works as described. But "Move to bottom" seems to do different things depending on whether tracks are selected in more than one folder, the positions of the tracks in the folders, and the relationship between the folders.
Yeah... Moving tracks in a folder to the bottom just puts them at the bottom of the folder. They have to be moved out of the folder, like Move Together with the Conductor Track (if in the default top position), then moved to the Bottom.
These may sound like PITA workarounds, but when they become second nature, they can be done in a flash.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

amplidood wrote:This is a perfect example of why we need full Track Folder control in contextual menus. Create a temp folder around desired tracks. Move them where you want (in another folder even). Right click and remove temp folder, keeping tracks in place. Done.
yeah. what he said ! It is the little things that would make us happy. :woohoo:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.