Making your own subkick?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
jrech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Making your own subkick?

Post by jrech »

Has anyone used the yamaha subkick for recording kick drums or djembes? Are they worth the $400? Has anyone attempted to build your own subkick mic? I saw some tutorials on youtube, and it looks easy enough, and it would certainly cost a lot less, but I am sure there is something I am over looking. It can't be that easy.

Thanks for all input ahead of time,

Have a great day,

J-
Dan Worley

Re: Making your own subkick?

Post by Dan Worley »

Consider a kickport: http://www.kickport.com/kickport.html

Not a gimmick. Many drummers love 'em. Check out their ever-growing roster of artists: http://www.kickport.com/roster.html

Full disclosure: I do know someone involved in that company.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
burn em

Post by burn em »

All a subkick is is a speaker with pins 1 and 2 of an XLR connected to it. The actual speaker and the shell would have differing effects on the tonal, transient and output level qualities. The shell not so much I would think. You should be able to build one for free from junk you already have lying around. Try it.
Macbook Pro i7 17"-10.6.8 16Gb DP 7.24 ][ G5 dual 2 ghz pci, 4Gb-10.4.11 DP 7.12
Nomad Factory ][ Airwindows Gatelope (The best drums gate. buy it!) ][ Altiverb 6
MOTU 828 mkIII, 828 mkI x3, 8Pre ][ Apogee AD16, DA16 & Duet ][ MC Mix ][ API 3124+ ][ Toft ATB 24
mrbillet

Making your own subkick?

Post by mrbillet »

burn em wrote:All a subkick is is a speaker with pins 1 and 2 of an XLR connected to it. The actual speaker and the shell would have differing effects on the tonal, transient and output level qualities. The shell not so much I would think. You should be able to build one for free from junk you already have lying around. Try it.
Don't forget to flip polarity since the driver is set push rather than be pushed. I think.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz Core Duo, 2G RAM.
OSX 10.6.8
DP 5.13
MOTU 828
Tascam cassette 4trk
burn em

Post by burn em »

You may be correct Mrbillet. then again... just swap pins 1 and 2 or flip the speaker around.

Got me thinking though. one side of a busted headphone might make a good "subkick" if it had sufficient pop filtering in front of it...
Macbook Pro i7 17"-10.6.8 16Gb DP 7.24 ][ G5 dual 2 ghz pci, 4Gb-10.4.11 DP 7.12
Nomad Factory ][ Airwindows Gatelope (The best drums gate. buy it!) ][ Altiverb 6
MOTU 828 mkIII, 828 mkI x3, 8Pre ][ Apogee AD16, DA16 & Duet ][ MC Mix ][ API 3124+ ][ Toft ATB 24