Another new Waves plug-in - MPX Master Tape

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Another new Waves plug-in - MPX Master Tape

Post by waterstrum »

zed wrote: So now I own my very first Waves plugin. :surrender:
Hey zed...
Congrats!
I think Waves is no longer the "evil empire".
They've been doing much better with customer service and fair prices.
I've had my issues with them, but it seems that they have seen the light.
At least some of it.
All is well
davedempsey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by davedempsey »

Welcome to the Dark Side....

Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Hey, anyone tried Soundshifter (now on special @ $129)?

Does it do (along with everything else) the linked pitch and time thing that I have been looking for?

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

stephentayler wrote:Hey, anyone tried Soundshifter (now on special @ $129)?

Does it do (along with everything else) the linked pitch and time thing that I have been looking for?

Cheers

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

It's one of those plugs that has never been fully supported in Native format. For DP and Logic it's Pitch only and for 'tools the tech specs show:
HD and Native - SoundShifter Graphic & Parametric support AudioSuite only.

I haven't really ever tried to use it. When I'm in the studio with some time to spare I'll have a look at it and see what works...you'll need oxygen, it won't be for a few days :)
melenko

Post by melenko »

James Steele wrote: Let us know what you think! I'm pretty pleased with it!!
Well, I get an answer from the support, and the plug needs an iLok 2 I don't have... :(
I'm feeling a bit disappointed.
MacPro 2.66 - 8Go ram-10.6.2 /DP7.2/URS plugs/Kontakt4/PlugsoundPro/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/Altiverb/Ozone4/Sonnox/etc...Neve 8801/RME ffce 800
zed

Post by zed »

melenko wrote:
James Steele wrote: Let us know what you think! I'm pretty pleased with it!!
Well, I get an answer from the support, and the plug needs an iLok 2 I don't have... :(
I'm feeling a bit disappointed.
I had to go back and review this thread to discover that you are not talking about MPX Master Tape.

In case anyone is confused, MPX Master Tape does NOT require iLok 2. It works just fine with the original iLok.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
melenko

Post by melenko »

Yes Zed, sorry!
MacPro 2.66 - 8Go ram-10.6.2 /DP7.2/URS plugs/Kontakt4/PlugsoundPro/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/Altiverb/Ozone4/Sonnox/etc...Neve 8801/RME ffce 800
zed

Post by zed »

melenko wrote:Yes Zed, sorry!
No worries... I also apologize for posting my observation in a way that encouraged your apology.

Fwiw, I'm glad that I haven't yet had the need for an iLok 2... I still have at least 50 slots available on my original iLok and I'm hoping to get another few years out of it. :-)
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

davedempsey wrote:

Cheers

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

It's one of those plugs that has never been fully supported in Native format. For DP and Logic it's Pitch only and for 'tools the tech specs show:

I haven't really ever tried to use it. When I'm in the studio with some time to spare I'll have a look at it and see what works...you'll need oxygen, it won't be for a few days :)
Hey Stephen,

I had a few moments today to check out Soundshifter - as per Waves tech specs: definitely only the Pitch window in DP and the others only Audiosuite in 'tools. Didn't get a chance to play with it in 'tools as I had to X-Form and render piano tracks for import into DP vocal sessions. You've gotta love that X-Form plug - an overall 10% increase in tempo of a piano recording and you wouldn't know it had happened....Holy Grail territory.

Cheers,
D
NealF

Post by NealF »

zed wrote: Of course, some of you have made me apprehensive about buying my first Waves plugin, with all that stuff about the highway robbery when upgrading. What I gather from their site is that there are no free upgrades, so unless I pay $200 for their upgrade plan, I am stuck with whichever version I purchase, even if it turns out that it doesn't work properly with the next version of DP, or with my OSX Lion upgrade. Is that correct?
I'm in the process of going from my G5 to a Mac Pro intel.
Waves is the ONLY plugin that wants money to go to the new computer. Every other company has a free intel upgrade.

Just my unhappy 2 cents.
MacPro5,1 6-Core Intel Xeon, Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB. Mojave. DP 9 and Apogee Duet.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

NealF wrote:
zed wrote: Of course, some of you have made me apprehensive about buying my first Waves plugin, with all that stuff about the highway robbery when upgrading. What I gather from their site is that there are no free upgrades, so unless I pay $200 for their upgrade plan, I am stuck with whichever version I purchase, even if it turns out that it doesn't work properly with the next version of DP, or with my OSX Lion upgrade. Is that correct?
I'm in the process of going from my G5 to a Mac Pro intel.
Waves is the ONLY plugin that wants money to go to the new computer. Every other company has a free intel upgrade.

Just my unhappy 2 cents.
Ah, Waves. They've got that WUP thing figured out, don't they? But just think, then you're covered for the next year! You can upgrade to all the new computers you buy for a whole year! Won't cost you another cent. Unless, of course, you try it the day after WUP expires. Also, it's interesting that the guys who own Mercury will never have to pay more than the $200 WUP fee. But if you have something like I have: Platinum Bundle, plus L3 Multi-Maximizer, plus Restoration Bundle, then you have to pay a fee for each of those. I'm not sure if their current policy has improved on that, but the first year that I did it, the total came to more than $200. Seems they'd make it a maximum of $200 for anyone. And it may be that way now; I don't know. Then there's the fact that they can quit supporting DP at any time, and it's your problem. For that reason, never pay for more than a year of WUP at a time.

I've wasted a lot of time and effort complaining about Waves and their abusive ways. At times it has gotten me some results, but never what I'd hoped for. For example, They stopped supporting DP for a couple of years, and I had paid for several years of WUP, but they stopped supporting it after less than a year of that. When they started supporting DP again, it expired soon after, and I was left with about 2 paid years of support, just lost. They gave me 6 months extra. Tell me how THAT was fair? I swore them off for a while, but now I'm back. I know, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…

So I should just shut up and accept Waves for what they are: a company with some amazing plugins (though not so amazing anymore, really, compared with their competitors), and with an aggressive marketing department, and with absolutely unbending, uncaring support policies.

All that will change them is the competition, and there is evidence that it's beginning to. I recently bought several plugins from the Restoration Bundle that I've always wanted, but could never justify at their prices. I have some noisy files and would like to fix them, but other than those files, noise is generally not a problem for me. So when Waves lowered the price to a no-brainer purchase, I went for it. I'm sure they'll scalp me later on WUP. :banghead:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

davedempsey wrote:
davedempsey wrote:

Cheers

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

Hey Stephen,

I had a few moments today to check out Soundshifter - as per Waves tech specs: definitely only the Pitch window in DP and the others only Audiosuite in 'tools. Didn't get a chance to play with it in 'tools as I had to X-Form and render piano tracks for import into DP vocal sessions. You've gotta love that X-Form plug - an overall 10% increase in tempo of a piano recording and you wouldn't know it had happened....Holy Grail territory.

Cheers,
D
Guys, dumb question here. Is using the Soundshifter time compression tools only available in Pro Tools, bar none? I do not own PT's and would like to use this plug. No other programs will utilize it?
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There's a chart at Waves which shows compatibility, right here:
http://www.wavesupport.net/Objects/Imag ... 8_mac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you skip down to the Transform Bundle, Soundshifter provides pitch support in every DAW, as far as I can tell, but the other functions are available only in Pro Tools.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Shooshie wrote:There's a chart at Waves which shows compatibility, right here:
http://www.wavesupport.net/Objects/Imag ... 8_mac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you skip down to the Transform Bundle, Soundshifter provides pitch support in every DAW, as far as I can tell, but the other functions are available only in Pro Tools.

Shoosh
Thanks, Shoosh for brains, I can always rely on your laser pointer. :D

I could have really used this when mastering last week. Had a client who asked if I could speed up one tune a couple of clicks but nothing I had worked. I've read where Soundshifter does a good job in several places. Here's one guy that says it's better than X-Form:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=177408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com