Slow down a soundbite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Slow down a soundbite

Post by James Steele »

Yep... 'tis glaring. How anybody creates any music with it, I can't imagine. :shake: I guess it all boils down to the likelihood you would ever NEED this feature.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yep, I've recorded sixteen compositions this past week alone, but one could definitely characterize the speed of each project as variable. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I just don't understand it all.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:...but one could definitely characterize the speed of each project as variable. :-)
You must know my old drummer. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

James Steele wrote: You must know my old drummer. :)
Did he move to Houston?!! I think I know him! :rofl:

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

ioguie
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ioguie »

James Steele wrote:Yep... 'tis glaring. How anybody creates any music with it, I can't imagine. :shake: I guess it all boils down to the likelihood you would ever NEED this feature.
I'm using it for post-production, in the creation of a radio show. I wasn't aware DP isn't marketed or intended for such non-musical uses 8)
MIDI Life Crisis

ioguie wrote: I'm using it for post-production, in the creation of a radio show. I wasn't aware DP isn't marketed or intended for such non-musical uses 8)
This last post gave me an idea for a new section here at MOTUNation. No, not Varispeed, but HYPERBOLE.

Varispeed is not something many people working in post have a need for. Resources at MOTU are better spent in actual useful plugs and features that most users will use.

You have other 3rd party varispeed options just as you have other noise reduction options (which is something I'd rather see first in DP before VS). Of course, you don't see a need to spend any money - in which case you get what you pay for.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ioguie
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ioguie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This last post gave me an idea for a new section here at MOTUNation. No, not Varispeed, but HYPERBOLE.

Varispeed is not something many people working in post have a need for. Resources at MOTU are better spent in actual useful plugs and features that most users will use.
MOTU's resources are not my problem. Are they yours?

The first reference I ever saw to the word "varispeed" was on a Roland VS-series recorder. It is used there to compensate for timing inaccuracies when set to external sync and the incoming MTC is faster or slower than the existing audio. VS-series recorders are made for musicians... I would think that feature is useful to musicians.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You have other 3rd party varispeed options just as you have other noise reduction options (which is something I'd rather see first in DP before VS). Of course, you don't see a need to spend any money - in which case you get what you pay for.
Jeepers. I am not a pro. I am a hobbyist. I do not have money to throw at this stuff -- I already threw my money at it. Tax refund money. And now I'm finding that it can't do what I need it to. Am I allowed disappointment? Buyer's remorse? Like when I bought my car and thought it had an audio input jack on the stereo but actually it didn't. I'm still driving the car though! It's my own dumb fault!

And of course I'm not going to spend more $$ to do something in DP when I've found that I can just do it in something else I already also own. If I was already DP-centric, and not trying to move to it as an experiment, maybe it would be a different story. :vomit:
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

stephentayler wrote:Ooooh!!! Another varispeed topic!! 8)

DP doesn't do it, so I use ProTools or MachFive.

(Remember what happened last time??)

Stephen
I think the "last time" was the beginning of Harley's rampage, if I
recall correctly.

But not to go there again - honestly I don't see what the big deal on
this is. If all you want to do is change the pitch - can't you do this
with DP's pitch correction? Really, this is a no-brainer. Changing the
pitch would drop it to where the desired pitch is - even if the speed
is the same, I think that was the original goal, right?

And if you wanted to change the speed AND the pitch - use "adjust soundbite
to sequence tempo" and then use DP's pitch correction.

This just doesn't seem like a job for a Varispeed plug-in to me.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ioguie wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This last post gave me an idea for a new section here at MOTUNation. No, not Varispeed, but HYPERBOLE.

MOTU's resources are not my problem.
Actually they appear to be, because MOTU obviously hasn't see fit to allocating resources to build in a feature you feel they *should* have. That happens a lot on this board where we want DP to contain every imaginable tool for every imaginable situation and sometimes it may not be there. But as mentioned, that's why some of us use certain 3rd party solutions to get the job done. You may also expect that DP come with every VI you'll ever need and every plug-in you'll ever need, but that's not that realistic and most of us here have spent FAR MORE on third party plugs than than we have on the purchase price for DP, probably including periodic upgrades.

Maybe some day they'll include this feature. Sometimes MOTU does include features in DP that would only be available as 3rd party plugs in other DAWs. A prime example is the built-in pitch correction capabilities in the Sequence Editor that only DP had for years before any competing DAW.

MIDI Life Crisis

Oh man, so no HYPERBOLE section? We could invite a bumped member to come back to moderate it! LOL!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

IMHO the best way to accomplish what the OP desires is by recording using a variable speed clock set slightly fast (to match the slightly fast playback) then return to normal clock speed on playback OR (drum roll please) use a cassette deck with varispeed when recording to get things right on the way into the digital domain.

Any digital process is prone to artifacts. Good ole analog varispeed is the way to go!

Dave Polich is right, though... DP has the tools. With a little thought (and maybe a little math) the OP can accomplish what he seeks in DP with no additional purchase required.

Another tool within DP that will do what the OP wants is the built in sampler.

PS: I'm still waiting for someone to offer for sale a reasonably priced external variable clock. I keep threatening to buy an old ADAT for this purpose.
airtime

Post by airtime »

There is no simple, clean and direct way that I know of in DP to get a basic adjustable "speed change" of playback of a soundbite. There is, however, just such an effect plug that comes with Audacity, a moderately functional and easy to use DAW that's available FREE for the asking at

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll need to learn the basics of how to use Audacity, of course, but it is not at all difficult even though its GUI is different from DP's. Once you're handy with it you could use it to correct the playback speed of your digitally copied cassette recordings, and then use the corrected copies in your DP projects.

Big Advantage: it's free!

Disadvantage: you have to spend a little time to learn how to use Audacity.

Resolution: now you have a new tool to add to your bag of audio tricks. Audacity offers other attractive features too.

But it will never replace Digital Performer. Nope. No way.

Wayne
iMac11,1, 2.66 GHz, 8 GBRAM, OS 10.6.8, DP 7.24, MOTU 828mkII (BLA clock & analog mods), VoiceMaster Platinum, RNP preamps, 4 handmade mic pres, AKG C451E (vintage), AKG 460B, AT 4050, Red/Oktava, sE Z5600A, Shure 545 Unidyne III, Sennheiser MD21s, a few cobbled electret mics, Genelec 1030As, SVS subwoofer and a room that's honest if you're in the sweet spot.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

David Polich wrote:If all you want to do is change the pitch - can't you do this
with DP's pitch correction? Really, this is a no-brainer. Changing the
pitch would drop it to where the desired pitch is - even if the speed
is the same, I think that was the original goal, right?

And if you wanted to change the speed AND the pitch - use "adjust soundbite
to sequence tempo" and then use DP's pitch correction.
Also, there's Transpose under the Region menu. If you click on Transpose Audio and select the Interval tab, there's an option to fine tune the soundbite by cents. Select PureDSP or Standard in the Sound File Info window.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Slowing a sound bite down is the same as making it longer without changing pitch, right? Chapter 75 in the manual?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8