Set tempo range?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lamboguy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Set tempo range?

Post by lamboguy »

I'm still back on DP 5.0.

Is there any way to highlight a block of tempo markings and set their range? (say between 105-110bpm)

Thanks

Fred
Mac Mini 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4Gb 1067 MHz DDR3 | OSX 10.5.6 | Lacie mini ext-HD 160GB 2MB Cache 7200rpm | DP 5.11 | Ivory | TruePiano | MOTU MSI | Kontakt | iMic audio i/o | M-Audio Keystation 88es | Stewart PA-100B PowerAmp | Yamaha NS-10M monitors | http://soundcloud.com/fredparoutaud/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Set tempo range?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

lamboguy wrote:I'm still back on DP 5.0.

Is there any way to highlight a block of tempo markings and set their range? (say between 105-110bpm)

Thanks

Fred
5.0? Your sig says 5.11 but if you are in DP 5 you really want to be at 5.13 as that was the best and last version in that release. You should be able to log into your MOTU account and download the right update.

Yes, you can easily do what you want:

In the DP 5 manual reference page 323 and get into that mode.

Then go to page 539 and apply that procedure to the tempo (selecting the values you want to constrain to). You may have to do this twice, once for low values, once for high values.

Pretty simple, huh? Please let us know how that works out for you. (No help from he trolls please - it can be so telling...)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
lamboguy

Post by lamboguy »

Hey, cool! Thanks MLC, appreciate the help. And I will indeed upgrade to 5.13 (yes, I'm actually on 5.11, but am amazingly sloppy in my posts :wink:

Cheers,

Fred
Mac Mini 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4Gb 1067 MHz DDR3 | OSX 10.5.6 | Lacie mini ext-HD 160GB 2MB Cache 7200rpm | DP 5.11 | Ivory | TruePiano | MOTU MSI | Kontakt | iMic audio i/o | M-Audio Keystation 88es | Stewart PA-100B PowerAmp | Yamaha NS-10M monitors | http://soundcloud.com/fredparoutaud/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lamboguy

Post by lamboguy »

Ok...I'm flailing. :shake:

I can select the tempo marks... no problem.

But when I go to Region/Change Continuous Data -- there's nothing mentioning tempo marks. Is there a controller number for them? (nothing in the index on that, that I can see)

Better yet, I actually read the pages in the manual! :woohoo: But I still can't find anything on how to do this.

Now I'll admit, I'm a really crappy reader. That's most certainly why I got into music.

Thanks!

Fred
MIDI Life Crisis

Oopsy! My bad. You might try under the PROJECT menu: MODIFY CONDUCTOR TRACK > CHANGE TEMPO and then randomize within a range that fits your criteria. You might have to play around with it a bit (the percentages) but that sould be pretty close to what you're looking for.

You can also DRAW in the tempos quickly with the RESHAPE TOOL.

Sorry for the misstep on my part.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Modify Conductor Track / Change Tempo

You can set a range in there, just as with velocity, continuous data, etc.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
lamboguy

Post by lamboguy »

Ok, thanks guys.

I think the answer is "no, you can't do that."

At least, not the way I want to, which is to select the tempo marks, and maybe "limit to a low of 110" or something like that. Like you would change the velocity of group of notes, for example.

The other methods work great, I'm drawing lines all the time so that's no problem.

The deal is this (just to explain why I ask) -- I improvise lines in, then "Record Beats" to that, which ends up with a rather rough (tho good) tempo track. I like to keep the natural feeling of that, but also there are always tempo marks that are "a bit too low" or "a bit too high" and it would be nice to just see them, highlight them, and limit highs/lows.

But...that's life.

Thanks!

Fred
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

My apologies. I didn't have DP open, and for some reason I just spaced out. What I intended to write, and should have written, was "Region / Scale Tempos."

I've used it thousands of times. It does what you want.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

That's what I was thinking. Of course that's also the difference between asking for a castration instead of a circumcision. One gets you what you want and the other leaves you with nothin!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS