Record Yamaha Style in DP7

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mkoplin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Record Yamaha Style in DP7

Post by mkoplin »

I have a Clavinova CVP 305 and want play a song in its Music Finder component, and record it using DP7. It will be a lot easier to use DP7 as a sequencer than the CVP on board sequencer.

Music Finder on the Clavinova are presets of songs and you can play chords, melody, etc. Instruments choices, pad, guitar, bass, rhythm tracks etc. are all preset.

I am having trouble understanding how to set up the MIDI Settings on the CVP to do this. I'm a little more clear about how to set up DP to receive from the Clavinova.

Is it possible to do this at all? I thought that if I set up the patches on tracks (DP) to match patches assigned in the Music Finder song that DP would record the MIDI data. I can record, but there are lots of problems like unwanted program changes being transmitted. It can sound very jumbled too
MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 4GB
Mac Pro, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.8 GHz. 2 Processors, 8 Core, 6 GB

Digital Performer 7.2, M-Audio Axiom 25, Yamaha CVP 305
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Record Yamaha Style in DP7

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It may be that the Yamaha has a proprietary way of handling some aspects, such as chords. You can filter out the patch changes but you will probably loose whatever the device is doing with them.

Multi-record has worked well for me in transferring onboard sequences from the likes of Ensoniq SQ-80's and EPS samplers.

You might have to do a few passes and record individual tracks from the yamaha but if it is doing some weird magic of it's own design, you may not be able to capture the performance. Demo sequences are particularly hard to grab.

DId you sequence the stuff? Does it use "rhythm machine" and "chording?" Again, if so, I'm guessing it might not be possible and you'll have to re-enter you notes. If you depend on the automated chords and rhythms you'll have to recreate these if you can.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Record Yamaha Style in DP7

Post by mikehalloran »

Many years ago, I had a similar issue. I wound up recording the MIDI out of the Yamaha to raw MIDI which I then edited in Encore (I like notation). Now I had usable files for DP. For some reason, Finale was not nearly as good for this task.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro