DP: Using a clap track for sequence tempo

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is being developed and is intended as intended as a place to bring together various Digital Performer video tutorials. Currently only YouTube videos may be embedded using the [YouTube] BB code.
strikingtwice
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP: Using a clap track for sequence tempo

Post by strikingtwice »

Hi everyone. This is something that I often do when I have a freely recorded audio track, and I want to be able to edit a little bit better or add instruments. I feel like the record beats feature never leaves me with the results that I want, but this method does. It doesn't require nearly as much manual work as just starting with adjust beats right away. Hope it helps!

David DeLizza
4-core nehalem macpro, 6 gb ram, dp5,6,7, motu 896hd, axiom61, reason 4, bunch o' plugs.
Dan Worley

Re: Using a clap track for sequence tempo

Post by Dan Worley »

Good job, David. Very useful and easy to follow. I tore my hair out trying to figure out how to do that one day and I never did get it right. You pointed out some things I've never noticed before in DP. Thanks so much for putting that together.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
strikingtwice

Post by strikingtwice »

Thanks Dan. I really want to try to use this part of the forum more and drive more traffic to it. The whole video took me about 15 minutes to put together, not including export and upload time. Please, pass it along, make some of your own, put the word out to get more of our super talented forum friends to use this section! Look on youtube for logic or protools tutorials, you get bombed, performer comes up very light!
David DeLizza
4-core nehalem macpro, 6 gb ram, dp5,6,7, motu 896hd, axiom61, reason 4, bunch o' plugs.
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Nice job, thanks for posting!
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Great video, David! This has to be the best way to use DP's beat-finding feature. It eliminates the "just sorta" beats that compete with the real beats; it makes the beats clear; and BEST of all, it captures the feel of the beats. You'll clap where you would feel it, and no computer algorithm on earth can do that.

Good job on the video, too. May I ask what you used to make that? And what format did you end up putting it in? I'd like to know a decent format that captures the sharpness, keeps the file-size manageable for up/download, and that prevents audio drift when streamed or downloaded. My tutorial on Adjust Beats is an embarrassment because of the drifting audio. I'd export it to a different format if I knew the right one. If I can ever make this process fast and brainless, I'd upload a lot more videos.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing your tips. I have only experimented with the adjust beats function and this video really opened up some doors for creating a MIDI grid using this feature. I agree with you, we need more of a presence with DP tutorial videos. As I get more confident with DP, I'll try to post some tips in the future. Thanks again, David.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks!! I didn't know this could be done so smoothly!
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
strikingtwice

Post by strikingtwice »

Shooshie wrote:Great video, David! This has to be the best way to use DP's beat-finding feature. It eliminates the "just sorta" beats that compete with the real beats; it makes the beats clear; and BEST of all, it captures the feel of the beats. You'll clap where you would feel it, and no computer algorithm on earth can do that.

Good job on the video, too. May I ask what you used to make that? And what format did you end up putting it in? I'd like to know a decent format that captures the sharpness, keeps the file-size manageable for up/download, and that prevents audio drift when streamed or downloaded. My tutorial on Adjust Beats is an embarrassment because of the drifting audio. I'd export it to a different format if I knew the right one. If I can ever make this process fast and brainless, I'd upload a lot more videos.

Shooshie
Don't sweat it shoosh, in fact your video was the only reason I was ever able to grasp the concept, I couldn't get that out of the manual! The lag was tough, especially since it's about something as time sensitive as beats! At any rate, the program I used was http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm and I think it's by far the best for screen capture, but it is 99 bucks. Quicktime X will do screen capture, but it doesn't allow both input and system audio. The formatting was handled automatically by Screenflow in its youtube upload feature, and it allows for HD.

There is another program which is much cheaper for the regular version by http://www.shinywhitebox.com/store/shop.php. If you're looking for a good screencasting app but don't want to shell out 99 for it, this is the way to go.

Also, about the clap, it is much more natural than record beats. I've always found that to be unwieldy and not natural. My tempo is usually really good (this video not indicating), and when i clap, it's in, but when i use my MIDI controller or heaven forbid the mac keyboard, the timing is not even remotely close. At the cost of a few minutes and one pass through the song, I have something infinitely better. Check out those apps shoosh, I think we could start something really nice for the DP community! More vids! screw those Logic and PT youtube nerds!
David DeLizza
strikingtwice

ISHOWU is only $22 on Mac App Store!

Post by strikingtwice »

I just checked after writing that post.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ishowu/id417136885?mt=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Not the HD version. Also, check the demos to make sure that version does both incoming audio and mac audio.
David DeLizza
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Nice! Thanks David.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

strikingtwice wrote:Don't sweat it shoosh, in fact your video was the only reason I was ever able to grasp the concept, I couldn't get that out of the manual! The lag was tough, especially since it's about something as time sensitive as beats! At any rate, the program I used was http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm and I think it's by far the best for screen capture, but it is 99 bucks. Quicktime X will do screen capture, but it doesn't allow both input and system audio. The formatting was handled automatically by Screenflow in its youtube upload feature, and it allows for HD.
I just bought ScreenFlow, David. Thanks for the tip. Now I can remake the Adjust Beats video and (I hope) rest easy that it the audio will not drift. The weird thing about that movie was that it was all perfectly in time before I uploaded it. Played exactly as it should. Then I'd upload it, and when I'd go to stream it, the audio would quickly get WAY out of sync with the video. I tried a half-dozen formats, and I uploaded it probably 10 times, thinking I did something to it, but it was none of those things. It started out a perfectly synced video, and only drifted out of sync once it was uploaded! I cannot figure that one out. Maybe someone here can. Anyway, I look forward to trying again with this app. I might even get in the mood to make more videos if I can be sure they will stay in sync!

Thanks again.

Shoosh

PS: Would you mind if I post your video in the Tips Sheet? I'd like to post it in the same message with mine (crediting you, of course), and giving people a more balanced view of these facets of DP. I was always going to do one like yours, more or less, but kept putting it off until I figured out how to correct that audio drift problem.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
strikingtwice

Post by strikingtwice »

Yea that's not a problem. I'm glad you purchased it, it really is a terrific app, and one more addition to the growing army of DP vids!
David DeLizza
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Great job on the video, David! I've been using this technique for some time. I'm a percussionist, so I usually use a stick and a pad, but the results are the same. Where finer subdivisions are required I've also used a shaker with varying success (works best with faster tempi). I find this technique yields better results than record beats, hands down.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
strikingtwice

THANKS PHIL

Post by strikingtwice »

Phil O wrote:Great job on the video, David! I've been using this technique for some time. I'm a percussionist, so I usually use a stick and a pad, but the results are the same. Where finer subdivisions are required I've also used a shaker with varying success (works best with faster tempi). I find this technique yields better results than record beats, hands down.

Phil

SO IT WAS YOU! I was trying to think of whose post it was on nation that I read that caused me to start using this.

Thanks Phil!
David DeLizza
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Wow! I was your inspiration and I didn't know it. :lol:

Anyway, you did a great job laying it all out. Thanks again for the video. The time folks put into making this board great is really appreciated.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.