machfive: no bounce?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

otalgia-2000
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

machfive: no bounce?

Post by otalgia-2000 »

greetings everyone

i am just beginning to use M5 and i can see there's a LOT to learn!

i've read the documentation thru (twice) and i'm working my way along the tutorial as well. but i just couldn't resist the urge to throw it into a project to hear what it could do. all was fab until i tried to bounce a ruff mix to disc, where discovered that M5 tracks seem not to want to tag along with the other tracks.

freezing M5 tracks first works fine but i'd rather avoid the extra step if i can.

i was advised to try using the AU version rather than MAS (??!?) but oddly enough, when i pulled the MAS bundle out of its folder, M5 completely disappeared -- re-booting DP gives a "missing effect" error (M5); the project i was working on, and DP in general, completely lose connection with with the plug-in (by which i mean that it isn't available as a choice from the pulldown menu or from the instrument inserts).

i tried downloading the M5 2.2 update from MOTU (even tho i was shipped 2.2) just to see if that kind of e-z re-install would even things out, but no dice.

your thoughts appreciated!

O-2K

OS 13.2.1 // DP 11 // mac studio M1 Max 64 Gb RAM // UA Apollo x6 // Micro Lite // Falcon 2 | BFD3 |
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: machfive: no bounce?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Try adding a Master Fader Track. Be sure to select both the Audio and MIDI tracks in M5 as well as the Master Fader track in your bounce.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

thanks very much for the suggestion, can't wait to get home and try it.

at the moment i'm bringing a few different machfive sounds into the project using DP aux tracks rather than the instrument track (wanting the discreet control, but finding it easier to adjust project levels in one place for the moment).

if i read you L&C, i understand your suggestion to mean that i should:

- add a master fader in DP
- route the output of all my M5 auxes to it (turning the auxes into a submix, sorta)
- then bounce the master fader along with any MIDI tracks that are feeding M5.

if i have misinterpreted, please let me know.

in the meantime... oh, hurry sundown!

many thanks,
O-2K

OS 13.2.1 // DP 11 // mac studio M1 Max 64 Gb RAM // UA Apollo x6 // Micro Lite // Falcon 2 | BFD3 |
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No. Just bring in a master fader and be sure all the outs you want to bounce are on the same audio out assigment. Should work. If I does you can thank Feodk for telling me to ALWAYS have a Master Fader. So basic and so elusive.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

thanks again -- no luck tho, i'm afraid.

while tracks from VI's like electric keys and BFD2 bounce, those from M5 seem not to.

i'm getting the impression now that this is borne out by MOTU -- the word from them seems to be something along the lines of "machfive simply doesn't work that way": apparently one must freeze tracks first in order to bounce them.

thanks again for taking the time to weigh in, and especially for your follow-up clarification; all very much appreciated. in fact i was already using a master fader because that's just how i set up my template to begin with. (probably a result of being an analog immigrant - it would have seemed so strange to me not to have one!)

if any of y'all have had success bouncing M5 without freeing first i'd be grateful to know about it. when you add up all those minutes of freezing, yikes... over time, that's almost enough to go on vacation with!

O-2K

carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

At one point in time, instrument tracks were not included at all when bouncing to disk in DP. Somewhere along the line, DP was updated so that AU instruments and most MAS instruments were included in the bounce, but some older MAS plug-ins required an update to for this to work. Unfortunately, the MachFive MAS plug-in is one of those that needed an update, which it has not yet received (and it's looking unlikely for version 2, now that version 3 is looming).

You should be able to use the AU version of MachFive; not sure why you're having trouble with it. (Though note that if you start a project with the MAS version, the AU version won't automatically load all of the settings that the MAS version was using. You'll have to save a MachFive performance in the MAS version, then manually reload it in the AU version.)
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

carrythebanner wrote:At one point in time, instrument tracks were not included at all when bouncing to disk in DP. Somewhere along the line, DP was updated so that AU instruments and most MAS instruments were included in the bounce, but some older MAS plug-ins required an update to for this to work. Unfortunately, the MachFive MAS plug-in is one of those that needed an update, which it has not yet received (and it's looking unlikely for version 2, now that version 3 is looming).

You should be able to use the AU version of MachFive; not sure why you're having trouble with it. (Though note that if you start a project with the MAS version, the AU version won't automatically load all of the settings that the MAS version was using. You'll have to save a MachFive performance in the MAS version, then manually reload it in the AU version.)
thank you helping out!

i too am unsure why i was having difficulty accessing the AU version, but i'm leaning on (while mashing up) terentius by saying "i am a human newbie, so nothing digitally unexpected is strange to me".

clearly i may be doing something wrong, or not-exactly-right.

i moved the machfive MAS bundle out of its folder and relaunched, and, as you say the tracks were not available to the project.

but, neither was the entire plug-in: as i noted earlier, M5 wasn't in the list of plug-ins after i did that.

as far as i can see, the AU library component resides where it ought to.

perhaps, after moving the MAS bundle, i must take an additional step to "re-introduce" M5 to DP?

thanks again!

O-2K

"I don't know what you think about this shrimp, but if you eat it, you'll never have to prove your courage in any other way."

carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

When both MAS and AU versions of a plug-in are installed, the AU version is disabled. After you pulled the MAS version, the AU version is installed but probably still disabled.

Go to Digital Performer menu > Preferences and go to the Audio Plug-ins page. Locate MachFive2; if the box next to it is unchecked, check it. Close the preferences (OK the warning and let the audio system restart), then the MachFive AU should be available.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

thanks, i will certainly try that and let you know what occurs.

still only in saigon,
O-2K

otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

carrythebanner wrote:When both MAS and AU versions of a plug-in are installed, the AU version is disabled. After you pulled the MAS version, the AU version is installed but probably still disabled.

Go to Digital Performer menu > Preferences and go to the Audio Plug-ins page. Locate MachFive2; if the box next to it is unchecked, check it. Close the preferences (OK the warning and let the audio system restart), then the MachFive AU should be available.

thanks! tried it, and M5 was indeed there (having forgotten all of its presets and output assigns, but i quickly recovered from the surprise and realized that that was certainly to be expected).

but i found AU version tough to figure, in terms of output routing.

under AU, M5 didn't give me the choice of re-establishing the output busses i'd assigned under MAS. instead, it was either "main out" or choices such as "machfive2 2", "machfive2 3"... up to "17". but i couldn't figure out how to tell the bundles window where to look for those. confusingly, the instruments pane of the bundles refers to pairs: "machfive2 3-4".

the manual doesn't really describe how to route multiple outs to DP under AU, it only says that multiples are available. i'm sure it's do-able, but i couldn't quite figure out how to connect the dots.

freezing in order to bounce IS kind of a pain, but maybe i'm just waiting for the version 3 that the board's all abuzz over in hopes that that'll iron everything out.

staying in the boat,
O-2K