Newbie: How to monitor instruments while recording. 828mk3

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
bmogo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Newbie: How to monitor instruments while recording. 828mk3

Post by bmogo »

Hi all, newbie here to MOTU, so I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid.

MOTU 828mk3, Windows 7 64 bit, Sonar Producer X1

My question is this: I can't seem to be able to monitor any instruments (keyboard or guitar) that are plugged into the MOTU while I'm recording. In other words, I have my headphones on, I'm playing back a project, I want to record a track of (in this case) Keyboard. I arm the track in Sonar, put on my phones, I have the keyboard (Roland Fantom X-6) plugged into the MOTU using either the SPDIF out from Roland to SPDIF in on the MOTU, or alternatively TRS out from the Roland to the TRS in on the front of the MOTU. When I play the keys, the peak meters in Sonar are registering just fine. If I do a test recording (being unable to hear the keys I'm playing), when I play the project back, the keyboard has been recorded and I can hear it fine, but I can't hear it while I'm recording it. This just doesn't work for me. I need to be able to plug in the Roland, put on my headphones, (which are plugged into the MAIN on the front of the MOTU) hit RECORD and hear the project playing in the phones so I know where to insert my keyboard track and play along. As it is I can hear the project play but not the input from the plugged in instrument. I could do this with the Edirol FA-66, what am I doing wrong here?

Setup on this project is: Phones are routed to MAIN, project files are heard and recorded on MAIN (in or out) 1 &2 in Sonar. As I said, with the old Edirol FA-66, if I plug in a TRS guitar to the Left or Right inputs, or either TRS keyboard or SPIF keyboard, I can hear it in the phones while I also hear the project playing. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Newbie: How to monitor instruments while recording. 82

Post by mikehalloran »

This is not a General Recording question. The answers for Mac users won't work for you at all.

Perhaps this needs to be moved to the MOTU Hardware and Windows section where the right, knowledgeable users might see it - or the answer might exist already.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bmogo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bmogo »

Thanks, I didn't notice this was under the OSX category, and I posted it over on the Windows Hardware section as you suggested. I see an EDIT function here on his board but I didn't see a DELETE button....so again my apologies to all.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

Study the CueMix hardware mixer section of the 828 manual... they keys to your success almost certainly lie therein.