techy question about mixerless MOTU 24 I/O set up

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
scooter
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

techy question about mixerless MOTU 24 I/O set up

Post by scooter »

I have been using D.P. 4.6 as a D.A.W. powered by my Digi 92 and 196 running in DAE mode. I've sold my mixer and have no problem mixing everything internally with this set up. However when I switch to MOTU audio mode and try to do this running my hardware synths into the MOTU 24 I/O I can't seem to figure out how to assign the outputs of the synths connected to the MOTU 24 I/O which is connected to the G5 by firewire so that I can record them onto a stereo audio track in D.P.

Does anyone have any ideas on this or use a similar set up??

thanks,

scooter
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
fokof

Post by fokof »

The 24i/o is a PCI setup. Even if there is a FW connection at the back , it's a MOTU protocol called "Audiowire" . You absolutely need to install a 424 PCI card in your G5 in order for that setup to work.
Motu has other FW units: 828 , 896 and the traveller.
If you bought it as an expension, maybe you can change it for a "core" unit...
vbassguy

Post by vbassguy »

Hi scooter..... I have a 896HD firewire that I am looking to trade for another 24i/o.......interested???? vbassguy
scooter

Post by scooter »

The 24i/o is a PCI setup. Even if there is a FW connection at the back , it's a MOTU protocol called "Audiowire" . You absolutely need to install a 424 PCI card in your G5 in order for that setup to work.

I do have a PCI 424 card in my G5 originally for my 2408 mk3. Now I have the 2408mk3 and the 24 i/o plugged into the PCI 424 card via firewire or Audiowire.

My question is: how to record the synths plugged into the 24 i/o into D.P.?? I can monitor these synths, so I should be able to route them somehow to be able to record them. They're coming up in my cue mix at the main outs. But D.P. won't accept the main outs from cue mix to be used as a stereo input into D.P. to record. D.P. just doesn't see it. There must be way to tweak either the cue mix or maybe my audio bundles to be able to do this. But I haven't figured it out yet. I would be eternally grateful for some help on this!
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
mastermix

Post by mastermix »

You can create an AUX track to route synths plugged into inputs of the 24 I/O to Main Outs 1-2...or alternately..and more effectively... bus the synths..by creating a bus in DP...and using the bus/aux combo to channel the synths to the main outs...

Kris..
scooter

Post by scooter »

Thanks Kris,

That sounds like it should work. I'll check it out.