Best virtual drum software for DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best virtual drum software for DP

Post by mhschmieder »

I just noticed that the main New York sessions for Superior 2.0 were recorded at Hit Factory and Allaire Studios, which I consider to be right up there with Abbey Road as some of the world's premiere recording rooms (especially for drums).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm STILL confused, given that the Nashville expansion seems superseded by the Superior-only Music City USA expansion.

I find the Nashville expansion audio demos lacking fluidity and detail. And the latin percussion demos are only so-so, along with their choice of Meinl vs. top-gear brands such as Gon Bops (or even LP, Gope, etc.). Meinl has stepped up their game in recent years, but is generally not as detailed in the articulations or as deep in resonance.

Well, I guess I'm once again back to being nervous about buying any EZD products vs. just holding out to maybe eventually get Superior 2 and its expansion packs.

Also, the metal expansion for EZD is not part of the current sale and ALSO seems to have a better-recorded Superior 2 "equivalent" expansion pack.

Somehow, the fxpansion approach of having a uniform set of expansion packs and just dumbing down the VI itself for ECO etc., just seems easier to digest and comprehend in terms of where one's dollars are going and what the upgrade possibilities are (vs. buying twice).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The ultimate in expressivity is to be found in the "unavailable" Vienna Jazz Drums, unfortunately. Those of us who bought Vienna Suite plug-in effects when they first came out, got it for free. I use it all the time. You are able to adjust the strike position fairly precisely and in real-time. This especially helps with the brush kits.

It has its quirks, to be sure. But it was, after all, "free". One can hope that they will eventually release an expanded version of it as a commercial kit, like their excellent upright jazz bass.

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

mhschmieder wrote:Well, I guess I'm once again back to being nervous about buying any EZD products vs. just holding out to maybe eventually get Superior 2 and its expansion packs.

Also, the metal expansion for EZD is not part of the current sale and ALSO seems to have a better-recorded Superior 2 "equivalent" expansion pack.

Somehow, the fxpansion approach of having a uniform set of expansion packs and just dumbing down the VI itself for ECO etc., just seems easier to digest and comprehend in terms of where one's dollars are going and what the upgrade possibilities are (vs. buying twice).
I think I finally understand your concerns about going with EZDrummer/Superior Drummer versus other drum VIs. To answer your questions, if you buy EZDrummer and some expansion packs, buying Superior Drummer later on will not arbitrarily upgrade your EZDrummer expansions, although you'll be able to use them with Superior Drummer. The EZX kits are all recorded at 44.1 kHz/16-bit and have far less flexibility than the Superior Drummer kits.

That being said, for the cost, you can't go wrong with EZDrummer. If you're looking at a metal-style kit, I don't think the Metal expansion is necessary -- the Drumkit From Hell is actually a lot better and works on everything. Sadly, the main allure of the Latin Percussion is simply to have access to tambourines, congas, windchimes, shakers, rattles and other minor instruments that usually show up in a standard GM kit but are excluded from virtually all of the EZDrummer kits, which is the only reason I bought it. As for the rest, before I bought EZDrummer, I was using kits in Ministry Of Rock, and EZDrummer completely blows them away. Not only do you get tons of variations just by different velocities on your main keys, but the rest of the keyboard is mapped out for other specialty variations (this is where Drumkit From Hell really shines) like differently-choked cymbals, flammed snares and toms, different pedal variations of hats and kicks, snare rattle, etc. It's the most articulation I've ever gotten from sampled drums, and it's probably the only drum instrument I've ever debated putting reverb on (the room sound is exceptional). I haven't regretted the purchase one bit, and I definitely don't use EZDrummer and long for the extra scratch to upgrade to Superior. EZDrummer is a deceptively simple VI, but it handles everything, even electronic drum triggering. Even as just a timekeeper, I was able to pack up my hardware drum machine and just use 3/4 and 4/4 loops inside of DP with it.

Again, it boils down to your needs, both short and long term. If you feel like you're going to want advanced articulation, placement and fidelity that EZDrummer won't be able to provide, I'd hold out for Superior Drummer and just cherry-pick from both expansion sets for more sounds. If you're worried that EZDrummer is sub-par in terms of quality, however, it isn't.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I have both the Drum kit From Hell EZ and the Metal Foundry SD, I like the Metal Foundry better and feel it sounds deeper and more real. It is also more flexible so you can adjust the sound to you liking better. For the money EZ can't be beat although.
+1 As with many of you that like to bring each drum in on its own track and use DP for effects and EQ, I feel this is the best way to get the drum sounds you are after; most control over them. I also some times like to put a little humanize on the drums in parts to give them a little variation.
The song writers MIDI packs are a fast way to get a song together as the are arranged in song sections such as verse, chorus, into, bridge, ECT.
I am still trying out all the MIDI beats and creating songs.

Any one like the Ocean Wave drums, they are a little expensive so they must be good.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

twistedtom wrote:I have both the Drum kit From Hell EZ and the Metal Foundry SD, I like the Metal Foundry better and feel it sounds deeper and more real. It is also more flexible so you can adjust the sound to you liking better. For the money EZ can't be beat although.
+1 As with many of you that like to bring each drum in on its own track and use DP for effects and EQ, I feel this is the best way to get the drum sounds you are after; most control over them. I also some times like to put a little humanize on the drums in parts to give them a little variation.
That's pretty much what I figured. Just to be clear, though, I was comparing the brand-new Metal (Metal Mayhem?) pack for EZDrummer with DFH for EZDrummer. I don't think the Metal pack offers anything that DFH doesn't (and if you read the literature on its product page, it's even augmented with drum machine samples!) and is probably the lesser of the two expansions by a wide margin. I also recently snagged the new Classic pack, which is actually two complete sets of drum kits run through a Helios console -- one set recorded with a full mic array and the same set recorded with an old-school "four-mic" setup. Best straight rock drums I've ever used.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've been following this thread with interest as I don't currently own any virtual drum software (except DP's model 12). Please forgive my ignorance. Do the products you've all been discussing do replacement, or does one have to get something like Drumagog to complement these?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

yep Drumagog or DrumTracker (ToonTrack) is what I use. It works pretty good for me, but indeed is a separate program.
iMac 3.06 i3|OSX 10.6.8|8 gig ram||DP 7.24|Motu 896HD|2 Avalon VT 737's|Presonus ADL600|Slate VCC|Superior Drummer 2|EZ Drummer|1.1.6|Kontakt Player 4.1|Steven Slate Drums EX|SampleTank 2 XTAntares ATR-1|Presonus Central Station|Neumann TLM 103|Rode NT1|Audio Technica AT 4033 X2| Rode NT-5's|and lot's of other junk
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

mhschmieder wrote:I'm STILL confused, given that the Nashville expansion seems superseded by the Superior-only Music City USA expansion.

They are superseded by those respective products. I certainly wouldn't get the EZXs if you intend to get the larger sets later.
fullertime

Post by fullertime »

Phil O wrote:I've been following this thread with interest as I don't currently own any virtual drum software (except DP's model 12). Please forgive my ignorance. Do the products you've all been discussing do replacement, or does one have to get something like Drumagog to complement these?

Phil
You can use any of them with the built in DP plugin "Trigger"...
FULLER - Raleigh/Durham, NC

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."
--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //
fullertime

Post by fullertime »

Phil O wrote:I've been following this thread with interest as I don't currently own any virtual drum software (except DP's model 12). Please forgive my ignorance. Do the products you've all been discussing do replacement, or does one have to get something like Drumagog to complement these?

Phil
You can use any of them with the built in DP plugin "Trigger"...
FULLER - Raleigh/Durham, NC

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."
--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I have a partial Ocean Way Drums set from one of the Group Buys last year, and am DEEPLY disappointed in them. I NEVER use them. Maybe my expectations had been built up too high by all the hype, but I would have to dig through old emails to remember what I wrote at the time. My recollection though, is that I wasn't happy with the miking, and thus couldn't shape them the way I would like at the production stage. I'll see if I saved my mini-review; I have no incentive to take the time to try to give them another trial run at this point. I put a huge amount of time into them at the time of initial purchase. But I think there might be a "try before you buy" option now, so you might want to check that out. Everyone has different needs, and as I mentioned earlier, I also don't find Stephen Slate Drums useful for my work.

Tim

Post by Tim »

For pop rock tracks, I get great results with BFD2. I've not tried the others though (but am curious). I'm a drummer, and program my own beats with V-Drums.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Not that many are fortunate enough to own every drum VI, and thus make
their own comparisons. I think it comes down to which one you happen
to have invested in. I went with BFD (from the very first version) after
hearing it at a NAMM show. Since then I've gotten BFD2 and every single
fxPansion add-on pack for BFD except B.O.M.B.

I'm extremely happy with BFD2 and see no need to get another drum VI.
That doesn't mean it's "the best", just that it sounds great to me,
and works for my purposes.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

What Dave said +1.

Tim SD is set up to work with MIDI drums and you can tun the interface between them. I plan to have a friend come over soon with his drum set and then I will know more on how well it works but the hype looks good.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.