828 (mk1): sending default audio to ADAT?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ddas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 (mk1): sending default audio to ADAT?

Post by ddas »

I'm working with an 828 (mark 1) and running just EastWest's PLAY in standalone mode.

What I want is to get PLAY to automatically output all audio from PLAY to ADAT 1-2.

I went into the MOTU Firewire Console and told it that default output should go to ADAT 1-2. However, it didn't appear to work (or maybe I misunderstood this function). Signal from PLAY that's sent to outputs 1-2 still goes only to Analog 1-2 and not to ADAT 1-2. I assumed it would be mirrored.

How can I mirror analog outputs to ADAT outputs? Or make the ADAT outputs the default?
1nput0utput

Re: 828 (mk1): sending default audio to ADAT?

Post by 1nput0utput »

The Play standalone app probably has its own audio settings where you can choose which outputs are used. My guess would be to check the preferences.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
ddas

Post by ddas »

Well, sort of, but that's not the crux of my question.

PLAY can select the 828 as an output device, and then gives access to all 18 channels on a per-instrument basis. Meaning, if I load a trumpet, I can then tell the trumpet to output to outputs 9-10 (which is ADAT 1-2) and that works. But this is a bummer because I'd have to reassign every single instrument to 9-10 manually (no way to do it automatically), and every time I wanted to even AUDITION an instrument, I'd have to switch to 9-10.

PLAY has no way to route all audio to 9-10 by default. That would be nice, but it doesn't have it.

But it appears the MOTU Firewire Console has a "Default Output Pair" option, but choosing ADAT 1-2 doesn't have the effect I want. I also thought there was some way to mirror what's being sent to the analog outs to the ADAT outs. But I can't get it to work. This is what I was asking about.
dreadrocksean
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dreadrocksean »

it 5 years later and i just had the same problem. i figured it out and to anyone else now reading this, here's the scoop.
MOTU 828 MkI's ADAT (Lightpipe/Optical) output only allows TWO channel audio, not 8. it appears as output 9/10 on your DAW.
bummer.
i should have read the clue in the labeling at the back:

OPTICAL
ADAT or S/PDIF
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

dreadrocksean wrote:it 5 years later and i just had the same problem. i figured it out and to anyone else now reading this, here's the scoop.
MOTU 828 MkI's ADAT (Lightpipe/Optical) output only allows TWO channel audio, not 8. it appears as output 9/10 on your DAW.
bummer.
i should have read the clue in the labeling at the back:

OPTICAL
ADAT or S/PDIF
At 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz, the optical port carries eight channels when it is set to ADAT or two channels when it is set to TOSLINK. At 88.2 kHz and 96 kHz, each optical port carries four channels when it is set to ADAT or two channels when it is set to TOSLINK. At 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz, the optical ports are disabled.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.