Help with Motu 828 MK I and Motu Ultralite

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
salsoulkid
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Help with Motu 828 MK I and Motu Ultralite

Post by salsoulkid »

Hi all, I'm having real nightmares all of a sudden with firewire interfaces.

I've had an Ultralite for about 3 years with no problems at all. Recently though it has started acting up, with the main audio cutting out and also actually turning itself off completely - these problems are especially prevalent in Logic it would seem, which will start fine but lose audio after a minute or two. It also started having problems when watching sky tv online, and would actually freeze the picture stream in tandem with cutting the audio out.

I happened to buy an 828 MK1 recently, just to increase audio in capacity, but seeing as the Ultralite was playing up I thought this might see me through as my main soundcard until the Ultralite issues are sorted. But, straight away, the 828 is cutting out a lot, on everything from Logic to iTunes and watching video online. I've tried it without my firewire hard drive attached but still the same.

I recently updated my OS - has anyone had problems with that? I've read some old posts about 828 MK1 issues but they were from about 3 years ago so wondered if people knew more about it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This all comes, of course, when I'm right in the middle of finishing an album, and trying to get stuff to an engineer on time! Sods law incarnate.

cheers
Jamie
jarok
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Help with Motu 828 MK I and Motu Ultralite

Post by jarok »

Hi

It can be bad firewire cable. Have you tried your devices with an other

computer or cable?

Witch computer do you have?

Witch OS do you have?

Did you upgrade your drivers?

jarok
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trio-Trout/140467307206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
salsoulkid

Post by salsoulkid »

It can be bad firewire cable. Have you tried your devices with an other

computer or cable?

Witch computer do you have?

Witch OS do you have?

Did you upgrade your drivers?

Hi Jarok, thanks for the reply. I have tried other cables but not other computers - I can try that on Thursday though.

It's os x 10.6.7 running on a Powerbook 2.16 Core 2 Duo, with 3GB 667 MHz.

I have the latest Motu drivers.

I am very stuck and frustrated.

cheers
Jamie
1nput0utput
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by 1nput0utput »

If both devices exhibit the same problem and you've eliminated the FireWire cable as a cause, then it's likely that the computer's FireWire port is to blame. From your description, it sounds like the device is intermittently going offline as if it were disconnected from the computer. I would guess that the two audio interfaces would work fine with a different computer, and other FireWire devices connected to your computer might exhibit a similar symptom.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
salsoulkid

Post by salsoulkid »

Yeah that would seem the most likely scenario, I've got a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow, although I have no clue how much these guys know - probably not what I want to know is my guess!

I'll be trying the units on a friends exact same laptop on Thursday so that should throw up a definitive comp vs units answer.

Thanks
J