UltraLite Stereo Inputs left side quiter than right

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Dr.Hash
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

UltraLite Stereo Inputs left side quiter than right

Post by Dr.Hash »

Hey everybody I have recently brought a motu ultralite mk3. Everything was going well (working)until a week or so ago. When I went to patch my outboard compressor into the signal chain one side (the left) was quieter than the right.
Does or has anyone else had this problem. Remember it was working.

I am using Sonar producer with a HP laptop running windows 7 I am running the latest drivers and these were installed after the problem arose in the hope it would fix the problem. The firmware is 1.02.

Cheers Dr.Hash
http://www.aaudiomystiks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1nput0utput
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UltraLite Stereo Inputs left side quiter than right

Post by 1nput0utput »

Every input has a discrete input trim. Check that the trim values are the same for both inputs in the pair, or reset the UltraLite mk3 to factory defaults to set all the trims to 0 dB.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
Dr.Hash

Post by Dr.Hash »

Yea I have done all that, I have changed cables and inputs. In each stereo pair the left side is lower than the right. At the moment I have to uncouple the stereo input and re-balance the mono inputs. The only other thing I can try is a complete reinstall.

Dr.Hash
j_e_f

Post by j_e_f »

I presume you swapped _both_ the input and output (to your speakers, or headphones) cables to determine the problem isn't a bad cable? Some of these cheap cables (ie, run away from "Hosa") are so badly constructed nowadays that a few good tugs on them can break wires inside. And note that audio cables aren't like DC wires. The latter is a single solid wire, so if it breaks, you get no signal at all. Audio cables carry the signal over many braided wires, so if some break, you may still get "some" signal through.

The fact that you observed this problem right after you physically adjusted cables may be a tipoff.
Dr.Hash

Post by Dr.Hash »

I actually built the cables myself. So when I first encountered this problem the first thing I did was pull the cable apart and start again. This did not fix it, I then brough a new TRS jack because I though this might be were the problem was no it wasn't there.

This is when I thought that maybe I had a problem with Sonar and the external insert plug, tried a different program and still had the same problem.

Then I tried different compressers and different stereo inputs, still had the problem, changed drivers and totally cleaned the old ones off still had this problem.

I have rang the supplier to see if any one else had this problem and he had not heard of it.

The only thing that I haven't tried is a clean install or put the device onto another computer to see if this would work.

The supplier believes that there is somthing faulty inside the box's software. But I won't know until I test it on another computer and or sent it back.

Dr.Hash
Dr.Hash

Post by Dr.Hash »

I fixed this problem it was the cable after all, the problem is which cable? I have to build some more by the looks of the things.

Thanks Dr.Hash