Motu Symphonic Instrument

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

FRIAS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu Symphonic Instrument

Post by FRIAS »

Hello,

I need your help. I work with MachFive and DP 4.6. I'm a composer of classical music and use this software to simulate my orchestral compositions. I've seen in Motu web page the plug-in Motu Symphonic Instrument and my question is if it is better than MachFive to manage the orchestral sounds.

Can you help me?

Thank you.
azusa749a
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Motu Symphonic Instrument

Post by azusa749a »

my question is if it is better than MachFive to manage the orchestral sounds.
Did you mean if it's better to use Mach5 to control the MSI?
From the look of MSI interface, I'd say yes.
You have more controls in Mach5.
motumacman

Post by motumacman »

but one will never know until they can get there hands on a copy....lol
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mhschmieder »

I think it is likely that MSI will be better for "managing" (assuming I know what you mean by this) orchestral sounds than Mach Five itself. For deep editing and/or tweaking of individual sounds, Mach Five is a more advanced environment. I would guess that's not what you're after; that you want the ability to piece together ensembles from individual sample voices, etc. MSI looks to excel at this.

I ordered my copy from Sweetwater yesterday, after being blown away by all the demos that were posted the day before at MOTU's website.

Make sure you check out the individual preset demos as well, as most of them are more organic sounding than the composed pieces which show some signs of MIDI timing issues (such as composed-from-the-computer vs. recorded-as-MIDI-from-a-keyboard).

Based on the demos, I'm fairly convinced that MSI is now the most accurate, realistic, organic, and complete, orchestral library on the market (maybe excepting multi-thousand dollar Vienna libs, etc.). I am also quite happy to see historical instruments included in this library.

I think MSI will be ideal for classical composing and film scoring. That's why I bought it.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH