How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait?

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

JeffB42
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait?

Post by JeffB42 »

I just posted a message in this section titled "Any Kawai K-5 and Unisyn owners out there?" which details some difficulties I'm having getting Unisyn to communicate with one of my synths, and I realized that I originally sent the help request to MOTU on 9/30/2004 (three weeks ago). I did get a response back from their tech support on 11/9/2004, but it only offered a few suggestions and didn't solve the problem I••™m having.

I promptly e-mailed back, stating that the problem still exists and detailed the steps I took, but I haven't heard back (so it's been three weeks overall since I first reported the problem and a little over a week since I last heard anything on the issue).

Now, (from what I've read elsewhere on this BBS) I know that the users here are quick to support their staff (MOTU's tech support), but I just shelled out $100 for an upgrade (on top of my initial investment) and I expect TIMELY support. My guess is that it isn••™t a lack of expertise but rather the head count in tech support.

Or am I just being impatient?

Jeff
studiostuff

Re: How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait?

Post by studiostuff »

Unless you have a very bad phone plan, why not just give MOTU tech support a phone call.

I remember the bad ol' tech support days when you had to have speed dial and start dialin' five minutes before they opened in the morning. I usually got through within five or ten minutes of busy signals, but MAN was my finger tired....

Now, when they're open, they pick up on the second ring about 90% of the time in my recent experience.

If it's buggin' ya, call 'em. (617) 576-3066

They take a little longer with email, but they've been pretty good about replying.

I've been on the phone with 'em four or five times in the last two days... What are ya waitin' for...?
JeffB42

Re: How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait?

Post by JeffB42 »

I work during the day so it's impractical to call. I have a LD calling card so calling them isn't an issue, but it's not very helpful to trouble shoot something when what you are trying to truble shoot isn't in front of you...

"OK, what's your XXX parameter set to?"
"I don't know, I'm at work and it's not here in front of me... let me call you back tomorrow."

••¦so it's more convenient (at least for me) to trouble shoot this via e-mail, however this is what I probably will end up having to do.