Bands with the same name on iTunes

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bands with the same name on iTunes

Post by Prime Mover »

Something's been gnawing at me. My girlfriend and I have been gigging around town for the last two years, under the name "Channelwood". But now that I'm wrapping up mixing our first album, I'd like to be able to market it. Unfortunately, it's not a completely unique name (being that it even stems from an area in an old video game). And quite a few bands nationally have the same name. They've come and gone over the last 20 years as well. Most of them are black metal bands, which is a far cry from our classically influenced piano/vocal duet material. Noone else in our area uses the same name, so my understanding is, we're cool on the local front. But I'd like to post our material to iTunes if possible, and that starts to become a bit different. From what I've seen, there are no hard-and-fast rules about multiple bands with the same name on iTunes or the internet. And I'm having trouble getting any concrete info. Anyone have anything that could help?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bands with the same name on iTunes

Post by James Steele »

I ran into this myself with iTunes (going through TuneCore.com). There's another James Steele who is a saxophonist and he already had an album on iTunes, so when my own music was first posted, it erroneously was attributed to him. However, every artist has a unique artist ID, so the same name situation can be sorted out and it's possible.

The problem you may run into is that you're talking about a band name as opposed to a person's real, given proper name. In my case, my legal name is James Steele and the law stops short of suggesting that someone isn't allowed to use their own legal name. So after a couple of weeks TuneCore got it sorted out with iTunes and I was all set. You might find you have a more difficult time and I can't really be more helpful in that area. I'd try googling for more info. You might see if the pre-existing band had taken out any sort of trademark on the name. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!