need help getting started

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

Thomboy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

need help getting started

Post by Thomboy »

Hi All,

I'm setting up Unisyn (2.11 running on OS 10.3.7) and I could really use some help getting started. I'm using a MOTU micro express MIDI interface with a Juno 106, Roland D-50, Alesis S4+, POD Pro and Alesis DM5. So far the Juno is the only one that was able to communicate with Unisyn. I get a message saying "no reply from the device" on all others. Can anyone give me some things to troubleshoot. I'm trying to consult the manual but the entire thing seems to be written for OS9. If I see the words OMS or FreeMIDI one more time, I'm going out a window.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

- Thom

<small>[ December 31, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Thom ]</small>
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: need help getting started

Post by Shooshie »

Unisyn 2.11 is, if I'm not mistaken, a carbon app, meaning it will run on both platforms (OS9 or OSX). Chances are that your problem is either in setup or in an operation mode on your devices. Setup would be a Core MIDI thing. Go to Apple's Audio/MIDI Setup to check those settings out. With multiple devices, you may have some ID problems, ESPECIALLY if you've got several devices on the same cable. If at all possible, put them on different cables. If you're using multiple devices per cable, use MIDI THRU rather than MIDI OUT. THRU passes the signal untouched (theoretically, anyway), while OUT returns a processed signal. You may have to reset the device IDs internally, if that is the case.

In another thread here, a Roland was found to require manually setting the mode of operation to allow for MIDI control of its banks and patch editor. That could be an issue for you as well.

Check things in Digital Performer (or whatever sequencer you are using) to see if MIDI is being properly routed to the devices to begin with.

Shooshie

<small>[ January 01, 2005, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Shooshie ]</small>
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: need help getting started

Post by SMS »

Are all MIDI devices connected bi-directionally (both IN and OUT connected) to your MIDI interface?

Bill
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT