Recommendations?

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

RhythmRmixd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recommendations?

Post by RhythmRmixd »

I have a question for you Unisyn users - I'm using mostly VI's for my MIDI production, but I have a couple of E-MU sound modules, a Proteus 2000 and a Mo'Phatt. I hate trying to program patches, etc. through the front panel on each module, because its a pain and its time consuming. Do you think it would be worth the purchase of Unisyn to program just these two modules through the Unisyn software? Would it help me out a lot?

Thanks
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 / 4.5 GB RAM
OSX.4.11 DP 5.13
robMartin

Re: Recommendations?

Post by robMartin »

With the Proteus 2000, which uses controller messages for parameter changes, you can get a lot of bang for the buck by checking out DP's custom consoles. It is very simple to wire up a simple (not deep) editor using console sliders/knobs etc.

If you want graphic adsr's and the like then you'll have to check out Unisyn/Sounddiver.
RhythmRmixd

Post by RhythmRmixd »

So your saying I can just use the custom console feature included in DP to set up software control of my modules? I guess I shouldn't have skipped that chapter when reading the manual! As far as editing patches within the Proteus, could the custom consoles offer any assistance with that?
OSX.4.11 DP 5.13
robMartin

Post by robMartin »

Originally posted by RhythmRmixd:
[QB]So your saying I can just use the custom console feature included in DP to set up software control of my modules? /QB]
Yes - For example: you could build a set of controls into a console that maps to the filter params for the Proteus, and use a separate MIDI track containing controller messages to "Automate" the filter params during playback.
As far as editing patches within the Proteus, could the custom consoles offer any assistance with that?
No, I don't think so - you'd have to edit the patch sysex.
RhythmRmixd

Post by RhythmRmixd »

That's pretty cool, I'll go ahead and read through the custom console chapter in the DP manual and familiarize myself.

Thanks man
OSX.4.11 DP 5.13
robMartin

Post by robMartin »

Something about this thread jogged my memory so I looked through my old OS9 drives. Sure enough, I found a Proteus 2000 custom console that was put out back in 2000 by Chris DeStefano. DP 4.5.2 loaded it up without a problem - so it might help you get started right away.

I can't find a way to include it on this board, so send me a personal msg with your e-mail if you want me to send it to you.

Cheers
RhythmRmixd

Post by RhythmRmixd »

Awesome. I will right away, thanks.
OSX.4.11 DP 5.13