The Ultimate DP Training Series DVD?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Fahrenheit 451
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Fahrenheit 451 »

Hi...

Just wondering if anyone has purchased the Ultimate DP Training Series DVD found on MOTUs site and if it's worth the $80? All opinions welcome... The reason I ask is the only other book I've found which looks worth getting is based around DP 4. The DP Training Series (from what I've read) also includes DP7.

Thanks in advance! :D
fullertime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by fullertime »

I have them, they are awesome! A lot of topics covered, very well organized too.

Well worth the $80

Easy to reference... I would consider them great for intermediate users but only average for highly advanced users.
FULLER - Raleigh/Durham, NC

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."
--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //
Fahrenheit 451

Re: The Ultimate DP Training Series DVD?

Post by Fahrenheit 451 »

Great... Thanks for the reply. I'm currently a Logic/Cubase user but also want to become proficient w/ Digital Performer.

Do you know (or anyone else) about the book...

"Producing Music with Digital Performer (Berklee Methods)"

I find it strange there isn't any books (at least not that I've found) which cover DP 7... The book mentioned above is for DP4. I would think there would be many changes since DP4.

Are there any other good books I may have missed?
jjhp3

Post by jjhp3 »

Sorry to be a negative voice, but I'm really disappointed with the DVD. Bought it last year. Most of the clips are of previous versions of DP, and while the info is certainly similar, for $80 I would like to see a more current version used as demo. All newer features are found in clips in a separate folder and are rather shallow in depth. Several of the newer tutorial clips don't play at all on my MacPro either... I emailed the company and got no response to my questions.

John
MBP 2.66 / DP7.22 / OS X10.9.4 + UltraLiteMkIII
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

Digital Music Doctor also has a DP7 dvd. You might want to check that out. And even if the current Mac Audio Labs dvd available has stuff showing older versions of DP it's still a valuable resource.
craigw

Post by craigw »

Initially I found the Mac Audiolabs DVD difficult to follow. However, I am new to using DP, or any DAW. I found Sam McGuires tutorial at VTC to be very helpful. Sam doesn't hurry through the material, which I like. He also starts out very basic.

After going through Sam's tutorials I found the Audiolabs DVD more helpful. My only complaint is that the instruction moves quickly and sometimes I get lost, especially with Digital Doctors tutorials, which are my least favorite of the three. But I learn from all of them. A variety in approaches help me see things differently, which is helpful to me.

If you are seasoned DAW user you will most likely will appreciate the Audiolabs DVD.
MacBook Pro 15", DP6, Ampguimods Gold, Orange Samples, Komplete 6, Kirk Hunter Pop Rock Strings, Pettinhouse Samples, Logic Pro, MOTU Ultralite, KRK V4 Speakers, Alesis QS7, M-Audio Keystation
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

Initially I found the Mac Audiolabs DVD difficult to follow. However, I am new to using DP, or any DAW. I found Sam McGuires tutorial at VTC to be very helpful. Sam doesn't hurry through the material, which I like. He also starts out very basic.

After going through Sam's tutorials I found the Audiolabs DVD more helpful. My only complaint is that the instruction moves quickly and sometimes I get lost, especially with Digital Doctors tutorials, which are my least favorite of the three. But I learn from all of them. A variety in approaches help me see things differently, which is helpful to me.

If you are seasoned DAW user you will most likely will appreciate the Audiolabs DVD.
Could some one chime in on what they think about Tutorial Depot Videos Concerning DP and what they think of them?
:deadhorse:
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
craigw

Post by craigw »

ronjams wrote:Could some one chime in on what they think about Tutorial Depot Videos Concerning DP and what they think of them?
:deadhorse:
I have just started looking at them. The Tutorial Depot website if somewhat convoluted. Which makes difficult to understand what you want and how to get it. However, I purchased the Project Series for DP6. I really like it a lot. They just take a small project from beginning to end. I found it very helpful. I just purchased Bundle 9, which includes videos 81 through 90. I have only watched a couple and I like what I see. Like Sam McGuire, they seem to take the time to explain what is happening more clearly, which helps people like me. I may spring for the complete bundle of all DP videos later. That said, the tutorials are helping me quite a bit. No regrets about choosing DP over Logic.http://www.motunation.com/forum/posting ... 0&p=382452#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MacBook Pro 15", DP6, Ampguimods Gold, Orange Samples, Komplete 6, Kirk Hunter Pop Rock Strings, Pettinhouse Samples, Logic Pro, MOTU Ultralite, KRK V4 Speakers, Alesis QS7, M-Audio Keystation
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I realize the manual is huge, but there's a reason for it. DP is a huge program with tons of features. I really don't think there's a better source than the manual...except maybe Shooshie.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Fahrenheit 451

Post by Fahrenheit 451 »

Thanks for all/each of your input... It definitely helps. I'm still up in the air as to what would help w/ me learning DP7 as fast as possible. I guess I'm trying to learn in a few months what really would take a years of what using, reading & practicing Digital Performer would garnish.

I have the manual so I guess I will start there...

But would anyone care to say if a book on learning DP 4 would assist in learning DP7? Has the interface changed much since then?
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

Fahrenheit 451 wrote:Thanks for all/each of your input... It definitely helps. I'm still up in the air as to what would help w/ me learning DP7 as fast as possible. I guess I'm trying to learn in a few months what really would take a years of what using, reading & practicing Digital Performer would garnish.

I have the manual so I guess I will start there...
That's the thing we stress to just about everyone: the manual is your friend. Read it, comprehend it, use it. Take your time and don't try and rush through learning DP. Time spent learning will serve you well - most of today's generation can't wrap their heads around that - they expect instant easy gratification.
Fahrenheit 451

Post by Fahrenheit 451 »

I agree... Which is why I finally settled on the manual for my starting point. I'm juggling 3 DAWs right now... Logic Pro 9, Cubase 6 (Which was just released) and Digital Performer 7.

I want to become fluent in each just like you would a foreign language. I'll have to see which becomes my DAW of choice but it will probably be either Logic or DP. I know I'm putting myself through some paces but I want to be able to work on any project which might come along.

Thanks!
lakland

Post by lakland »

I have Ultimate DP training DP 3, 4 & 5. I also own Digital Performer Power (book)by Steve Thomas written for DP 4. I used both these in tandem because what the DVD's didn't cover... the book did. I bought the book because I was frustrated with the videos. There were a lot of gaps in the video information...which luckily were addressed by the book.

Another frustration was that the videos though they covered the how to very well, never addressed the why would you use it, when would you use it and what are the alternatives in getting the same results.

I like interacting with the authors and they personally helped me out with many questions I had. Many suggestions I gave them were incorporated in their later videos.

I am a visual learner - love learning - dislike reading manuals - I have no problem paying experts for their knowledge.
G5 Dual 2G, 6 gigs RAM, DP 7.2, Mach V-2, OS-Leopard 10.5.8, Yamaha O1X control surface, EZ, Addictive Drms etc.
Fahrenheit 451

Post by Fahrenheit 451 »

I purchased the DP7 DVD... I was also thinking of purchasing the "DP6 Power!" book... I'm assuming there isn't THAT many difference between the two applications that a newcomer to Digital Performer would have problems getting up and running with the basics.

I haven't tried the DVD yet as I'm in the middle of a Logic Pro 9 project. But as soon as I'm done I will be jumping aboard the DP7 train!