RIP John Barry

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
dcoscina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

RIP John Barry

Post by dcoscina »

Just found out that film score legend John Barry has passed away from a heart attack this morning. Barry penned many popular scores during his 40 year career such as Born Free, Midnight Cowboy, Dances with Wolves, Somewhere in Time, King Kong, The Black Hole, but will always be most well known for his Bond scores. Farewell maestro.
Mac Pro 2.66 ghz w. 15 gb RAM, DP 7.24, Kurzweil PC3x, MOTU 2408Mk3, Symphobia 1&2, LASS, VSL VI/VE Pro,MOTU Mach5.3, SI & Ethno 1, Omnisphere, Trilian, CineBrass, Albion, tons more...
bdr

Re: RIP John Barry

Post by bdr »

Very sad news. Incredible melodic sense but also loved his sense of harmony...the verse of 'Goldfinger' always killed me.

Two lesser celebrated themes but two of my favourites

oh one more favourite, this piece kills me.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Thanks for posting the fitting tribute, gents.

davedempsey just posted an RIP for Bruce Jackson whose input and influence was critical in the music industry.

That these two losses came in almost simultaneously is a lot to digest, but we celebrate with gratitude for what Barry (and Jackson and a host of others) have done for us.

Besides James Bond, so much of Barry's music was part of my life from early on. As a kid, one doesn't always pay attention who writes the music. It's thought of as being done by the proverbial "they". Then you discover that one melody was written by John Barry or another one was-- and through the years your appreciation for what this man had to offer the music world only increases.

And so the story goes, and so the story ends-- as it must.

With grateful sorrow,
hobbit
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The really odd thing was that I was at a friend's gig where they covered a James Bond theme, then got home later that night to see the news of John Barry's death on the web.

My understanding is that he didn't write the theme but arranged it. I do recall that he was much enamoured of Bossa Nova at the time, and felt that adding some mild Brasilian influence atop a sort of Surf base would be evocative of the genre that Bond helped create.

Of course he wrote much else after that. I remember deliberately going to movies just because Barry had done the soundtrack -- he was my favourite film composer for 20+ years!

The obit that I saw in the BBC the other day states that he was a private man who really never left his village, being satisfied just to have clients for his work and to stay busy. No ego.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bdr

Post by bdr »

There's always been discussion about who wrote the Bond theme as it is attributed to Monty Norman who had the gig (he really kicked on after doing Dr. No didn't he!). I have heard John Barry say it was his tune, a piece he originally wrote for big band titled 'Bees Knee's', and lawsuits notwithstanding I'm inclined to believe him.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.